LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

cool man! nice job. interesting program. be interested to see how it goes. I'm used to training people in 1/2 hour sessions (based on their work restrictions) so we do lots of compound exercises, free weights, bands and sometime mix in cardio.

regardless they get a kick ass work out in a short period of time with great results.

myself...I'm thinking about doing Crossfit. partly to step up my training and reap the benefits in my cycling.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear good things about crossfit. Right now, I'm struggling to find the time to work out like I had been. :( Been doing a lot of running since it's easy and super cheap, but need to get back to some weights/core.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I hear good things about crossfit. Right now, I'm struggling to find the time to work out like I had been. :( Been doing a lot of running since it's easy and super cheap, but need to get back to some weights/core.

don't get wrapped up in the idea that you have to go to a gym to work out. consider body weight exercises like squats, lunges and push ups at home.

also if you are out running look at the environment around you. there are lots of things you can do outdoors to get a good workout. Consider the neighborhood playground. you can do things like step ups, modified pull ups, modified push ups off steps and the list goes on.

Heck this guy knows what he's doing: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7faw6JgJw]YouTube- ‪Bartendaz workout , parkour pure power dude. big muscle‬‎[/ame]

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

If you have the time to run then you have time to go to the gym! Cardio will help you balance your daily caloric input/output but other than provide cardiovascular training it doesn't do anything for you in the long term. Building up the core (chest/back/torso) and leg muscles is what will turn you into a calorie furnace! I'm not saying you need to get huge, but all the major muscle groups should be active and strong so you can burn calories while you sleep, work, etc...

Cardio will help you balance your daily caloric input/output but other than provide cardiovascular training to clarify strong/healthy heart and helps to increase cardiovascular endurance .

but otherwise DEAD ON. WAnt to lose weight? get off the treadmill, put the running shoes up, and start weight training like Underdog said. And if you are a women don't even utter the words "i don't want to get bulky". ain't going to happen.

No I do weight training as well both at the gym and at home. I bought a pull up bar and try to use it 3-5 times a week. I also picked up my core exercises as well. If I'm not building muscle, I'm not burning fat. My schedule has changed so I don't get my workouts in as often as i prefer. And though i dont want to bulk up, I want to lean out and tone up reducing my overall body fat. Working out is my steps relief. I had to put boxing on hold due to a wrist injury but hope to get back in there this winter.

Sounds like you are on the right track. My wife has the same goals as you do, wanting to gain muscle without too much of a size increase so that the extra muscle can help her look more lean and toned. She is doing the Starting Strength program with me. :)

You should see the look on guys faces when they see my wife in the power rack doing squats, or on the bench, or pulling deadlifts from the floor. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busting my ass at the gym for the last 2.5 weeks doing the program and I've definitely noticed a difference. Actually it all makes sense because now I'm doing three times the workload each week for my whole body and I'm doing exercises that hit every muscle group and at a workload that best stimulates strength gains (different from muscle "size" gains). My chest and shoulders feel bigger, my upper torso is tapering down to my waist, and my legs are getting bigger/stronger too.

Following the program you add weight each time you perform a particular exercise and do that weight for 5 reps across 3 sets. My squats and deadlifts have both increased by 40lbs. My overhead press and row have both gone up by 15lbs, and my bench has gone up by 10lbs (I think I started to close to my limit on the bench). These aren't huge gains but it's only 2.5 weeks into the program. By next week I will be setting personal records on these exercises and my form has improved drastically. We bought the Starting Strength DVD that supplements the material from the book... it was really helpful to see all the examples of each exercise and how the trainer would critique their form. It has made my wife and I better at spotting weaknesses in each others form too.

Weight has been staying steady at 163-165... I have been upping my calories lately to try and achieve a .5lb/wk gain. I am going ot take it slowly and rely on the scale and the way my body recovers from workouts to tell me how I'm doing. Long term progress is the key! I would ideally like to end up at 180lbs, <10% body fat, 30-32" waist, 225lb bench, 315lb squat, 405lb deadlift.

One of the most fun things I've started doing has been weighted dips. It is great putting on the belt, wrapping the chain around a weight and heaving yourself up there for 10 reps. Tonight I will be trying weighted chinups for the first time. :cool:

wow! that is awesome!!! :)

I've yet to get myself back into the gym regularly. hoping by next weekend to do that. I've been doing mostly running, just finished my first half marathon on Sunday and now planning to train for the next in October.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrapping up week #5 tonight. Things are going great and while my gains day-to-day have cut in half on most exercises, linear progress is still occuring.

So, in five weeks my lifts have gone up:

Squat: 45 -> 175lbs

Bench: 95 -> 142.5lbs

Deadlifts: 95 -> 195lbs

Dips: 8/6 @ BW -> 8/6/5 @ BW+17lbs

Press: 45 -> 75lbs

Chinups: 4/4 @ BW -> 8/5/4 @ BW

Power Cleans: (just started doing work sets of these) 55lbs

Bodyweight: 160 -> 168.5lbs

Aside from way more weight on the bar, I have continued to see a "recomposition" effect as I gain weight. I am sure some of the weight I gain will be fat (muscle needs fat tissue to grow) but hopefully at least 60% of the weight I gain will be muscle.

One of the things I have come to understand is that there is no way I will hit my goals from post #61 with a 180lb bodyweight. A guy my height will need to be 200-210lbs to be lifting that kind of weight. I have come to terms with that fact and will allow my bodyweight to increase at a controlled rate until linear progress stalls. At that point I will switch to an intermediate program with more volume/hypertrophy work and go back to a cutting diet.

By the way, bulking diets are awesome! Still have to eat clean, but gaining between .1-.3 lbs per day means lots of food. :)

For anyone interested, I decided to leave the bodybuilding.com forums. There is a ton of info but it is like NASIOC without the maturity... startingstrength.com is where it's at! (Same user name as here)

glad to hear you've left the body building forum.

it's interesting.....we have a could old schoolers in our fitness center who want to drop some weight but can't get past their "i have to do 1-2 muscle groups a day" attitude. they are stuck in the past, a time when they were younger and in better shape. now they all got fat guts and can't understand why their old way of doing things won't work anymore.

just a comparison to what you are doing.....thought I'd share.

congrats on your gains!

Thanks! This whole fitness thing definitely takes a certain open-mindedness. Even back in April when I posted this up, I thought I knew everything. As with most other things, the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

It's like, yeah, a split-program will work, but a workout plan has to be put in the context of your current ability/condition, your final goals, and all the other myriad variables in between. Also, the activity portion is just one third of plan. Diet and rest are essential for recovery, yet they are too often overlooked.

For an untrained body any plan will work, but some plans work better than others.

that's awesome! i just weighed in at the gym last night myself (they say to weigh in morns but oh well). I'm back to 121 from 126.8 2 wks ago. Haven't been able to work out and run as much as I'd planned, but it's summer and very hectic.

Good job! I like reading thru these threads to see what others are doing, take some parts that I like and add them to my routine.

Optimum Nutrition (ON) Whey Gold Protein Powder, 2 or 3 shakes per day.

ON OptiMen Multivitamin

Flax Seed Oil Supplement

Carlson Labs Fish Oil Concentrate

Chia seeds (in my shakes)

I've thought about creatine (kre-alkalyn) but never pulled the trigger. I've also toyed with the idea of glutamine and BCAA supps, but I already get way more of that stuff with my diet and protein powder so why spend even more money?

At this point, for me, there really isn't anything that will replace hard work under the iron. Diet/rest are the keys to recovery and everything else is icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been two weeks since my last check-in. We have now completed seven weeks of Starting Strength. Here's my progress:

So, in seven weeks my lifts have gone up:

Squat: 45 -> 3x5x195lbs (stalled at 195, reset and currently at 180lbs)

Bench: 95 -> 3x5x145lbs

Deadlifts: 95 -> 1x5x235lbs

Dips: 8/6 @ BW -> 11/9/6 @ BW

Press: 45 -> 3x5x90lbs

Chinups: 4/4 @ BW -> 8/6/4 @ BW

Power Cleans: 5x3x80lbs

Bodyweight: 160 -> 172lbs

Linear progress is maintained, albeit at a slower rate than during the first 5-6 weeks. For most exercises I've cut my day-to-day gains in half. I hit the wall on squats and bench which meant following the reset procedure (drop 10% and increase at half-pace). Deadlifts are getting intense.

I haven't noticed as much of the recomp effect recently. My body weight has been kind of level at the 171.5-172.5 range the past two weeks. I think I need to step up my caloric intake a bit more... I should be at ~180-185 by the end of next week and it looks like I will fall short of that target.

For extra-curricular activities, I have been playing a few rounds of golf recently. We are moving on to the next level (5!!) Salsa dancing class which is a great cardio workout! Also, the wife and I decided to take up archery at a local range recently. Finally, our snowboards are getting tuned up this week in anticipation of the coming season! :woowoo:

yeah the other night I was benching for part of my strength routine and figured I'd see what I could max at. I added on 10 lbs per side, hit it like it was nothing, put on another 10 per side, and again hit it up like it was nothing, put on another 10 and got 1 rep but still could probably put another 5lbs per side to max out. I was amazed that even after the 40 reps I had already done that I could just throw weight on and keep pumping.

• 2 weeks later...

Started week #10 this week. Things are starting to get interesting:

Squat: 45 -> 3x5x200lbs

Bench: 95 -> 3x5x150lbs

Deadlift: 95 -> 1x5x265lbs

Dips: 8/6 @ BW -> 6/6/6 @ BW+27lbs

Press: 45 -> 3x5x100lbs

Chinups: 4/4 @ BW -> 10/7/5 @ BW

Power Cleans: 5x3x95lbs

Bodyweight: 160 -> 177lbs

Got my diet in order and sure enough my weight started creeping up slowly, my bodyweight as well as the weight on the bar. Resetting squats and the bench has allowed me to plow through the numbers I stalled at, so even though it doesn't look like much since my last update, there has been progress.

I would say the "recomp" effect has pretty much stopped, and the decrease in body fat % is only due to the relative increase in lean body mass compared to fat. So while originally I was replacing fat with muscle, now I am adding muscle and fat at the same time, with a slight edge to the muscle (maybe 60/40). This is expected and the increased muscle will help me shed the fat when I can't make progress day-to-day any more. Fortunately it has distributed well... I can still fit in all my 31 waist pants. The weirdest side-effect of this workout is that I have grown a butt! Who knew that was possible?! :lol:

October last year I walked into the gym for the first time in 15 years. The Kid behind the counter asked me when I last worked out. I said "'95". His eyebrows raised and he responded "1995!?!?" LOL About 3 years after he was born.

I do nothing but strength sets 4 days per week. A lot of stretching and ab work. And run twice per week, incorporating bleachers and lots of lunges.

My first day a year ago, I weighed myself at 217. I weighed in for the second time just last week at 213. But my waist went from 37" to 33". My 22 year old Daughter says I look hawt. And Mrs. Lung can't keep her hands off me.

October last year I walked into the gym for the first time in 15 years. The Kid behind the counter asked me when I last worked out. I said "'95". His eyebrows raised and he responded "1995!?!?" LOL About 3 years after he was born.

I do nothing but strength sets 4 days per week. A lot of stretching and ab work. And run twice per week, incorporating bleachers and lots of lunges.

My first day a year ago, I weighed myself at 217. I weighed in for the second time just last week at 213. But my waist went from 37" to 33". My 22 year old Daughter says I look hawt. And Mrs. Lung can't keep her hands off me.

awesome!

and bleachers and lunges eh? Ugh... I hate those.

I just got home from my 2 hr gym night. 45 mins on the treadmill doing inclined intervals at 5, 10 and 15 deg, ranging from 2 mins of walking at 4 mph, jogging at 6 mph and running at 8.5 mph at each incline. Wow, that's a freaking work out! Then did arms and core work out. They won't let me jump rope there anymore so I'm finding it difficult to get motivation to do that at home. :( Lame.

Archived