LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow! that is awesome!!! :)

I've yet to get myself back into the gym regularly. hoping by next weekend to do that. I've been doing mostly running, just finished my first half marathon on Sunday and now planning to train for the next in October.

Stirring up an old post, but any other marathoners lurking out there? Completed our fifth one this past january. Defintely a part-time job. lol

Nice job Naylor! I was doing 325lbs for 1x5 right before we decided to start cutting. I had a bit more padding around the middle than I really wanted for beach season... I am at peace with my vanity. :lol:

I'm really excited to start eating more and getting my lifts back up. My DL goal is a bit more modest, 405lbs by my 31st bday next May.

What does your training routine look like?

Thanks bud.

I've been doing crossfit since '05 with varying levels of consistency, mainly due to various injuries along the way. I'm fairly random on my workouts. I just recently started to avoid bread and sugar and its made a serious impact for the good.

I can rep that 385 pretty well. My guess is I'm close to a 450+ DL right now. My form isn't the greatest. I need to attend a oly/power lifting clinic soon.

Stirring up an old post, but any other marathoners lurking out there? Completed our fifth one this past january. Defintely a part-time job. lol

Yup, I run a bit. Recovering from a nightmare IT injury. Slowly. Ran an ultra in Steamboat last fall, IT started bugging me at mile 9. Like an idiot I finished and have been kicking myself ever since.

Got anything on the docket this fall?

Nice man!

how long was the ultra? I have always thought about doing one, but.... screw that :)

Like most runners, i have been plauged with IT band issues in the past. Past couple of marathons have been relatively defect free though... Which was good. We did the goofy challenge this past january in orlando (half marathon on saturday morning, full marathon on sunday). That was an interestting weekend! The training was tough too. Burnt the wife and I out a bit. Running hasn't been the same for us since really. No events this year. MAY do a half in the fall (Hartford Half is our usualy October half marathon), but nothing longer than that.

You? Congrats on your finish man! Injured or not. lol

Thanks bud.

I've been doing crossfit since '05 with varying levels of consistency, mainly due to various injuries along the way. I'm fairly random on my workouts. I just recently started to avoid bread and sugar and its made a serious impact for the good.

Amazing what a difference the diet changes make after being on a program (of sorts) for that long... This was exactly my experience with the diet changes after 1.5years + of lifting and conservative bulking.

I thought I mentioned it in my post above, but I should note that my lifts have fallen off quite a bit since we came back from the 3-week Japan trip and started cutting. My squat (3x5) is down ~17%, bench and o'head press (3x5) down 10%, and my DL (1x5) down 8%. The power clean (5x3), being a submaximal exercise anyways, is about the same as before.

• Mega Users

just snapped into my diet/running after 4 months of running train on my body. Probably average about 6000-7000 cals a day of beer and food with zero exersize, and it eventually went right to my stomach, ass, and thighs. 15 lbs later (i can't believe it wasn't more). Finally tipped 200 on the scales and said "this is enough."

Now I'm eating small balanced meals and running. The goal is to shed 20 lbs, and be 180 at 5'10". Then do some heavier lifting again.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

JaseJase:

Goofy is right. I tried to fit in a few similar weekends in prep for my last race: it hurts.

The ultra was 50 miles, not too bad frankly, would have felt pretty good if I were healthier. The climbing/descending around here is what gets ya. I think that race had a modest amount, something in the 9k range.

Don't really have much planned, just trying to stay healthy and have fun. I miss both, so I've been keeping the mileage low and the enjoyment high, which is easy to do if your run trail anywhere in CO.

BraddA I did the same thing a couple years ago at the PCT50. IT bands went out at mile 30 and I forced myself to finish...that was a long recovery!

The PCT is an incredible trail. I try and get some mileage in any time I'm out that way.

Anyone competed in a Tough Mudder event ? Currently I'm training for one coming up at the end of September. I've cut back on the heavy lifting this past month, as I need to lean out a little to shave weight, and started running 3 times a week now. Current weight 220lbs @ 6'2", and my ideal weight is to be 200lbs before the competition. 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months seems doable.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I am originally a wrestling, i box as well, but now i am doing mma to help pay off some bills, I am carb depleting now, so only meat, greens and nuts.I do strength train as well, i am not a big fan or machines, most of my fitness comes from kettlebells, pullups, muscle ups (i can 12 so far in a row!), pushups, running, tires etc,, things like that, my advice go 0 carbs for two weeks, then after two weeks, have a one cheat day, this will help speed up metabolism and believe it or not i have more energy when i am cutting, keep on working on the pullups, and start doing regular pullups without assist, youll find yourself in a month or so doing them very easy, same goes for dips and pushups, then you can add weight to your pullups etc...

Riding my bike again after a 5 month hiatus. Stopped for no good reason. I ride mountain and try to do 7-10 miles a day. Some hills, but am focusing on cardio right now until the burn kicks in. I like to eat cookies at night and they've put 10lbs and a solid inch on my waist. Sucks when you have to take your slacks in to be let out. There is also a pretty decent gap in age between the girlfriend and I. Endurance is a good thing in my book. I know she doesn't mind.

I cook a lot too and have a big family. Lots of dinner parties. Weight just sneaks on if you aren't exercising. Helps you sleep better too.

Not making any severe dietary changes. Some portion control, less carbs at dinner and no more english muffins at breakfast. Just protein.

5'10 and tipping at 200lbs. Target is 185. That's the weight I am most comfortable at.

Anyone competed in a Tough Mudder event ? Currently I'm training for one coming up at the end of September. I've cut back on the heavy lifting this past month, as I need to lean out a little to shave weight, and started running 3 times a week now. Current weight 220lbs @ 6'2", and my ideal weight is to be 200lbs before the competition. 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months seems doable.

doing that next year, training for it now, i am against dead lifts, i hurt my back doing 650 last year, was nt good, dead lifts arent for me, i do alot of power cleans and snatchs, olympic snatchs i am at 195, cleans i am at 255, and 240 clean and press, but nothing is better than muscle ups and hand stand pushups, after doing a summer of just muscle ups and hand stand pushups you get freakishly strong

just snapped into my diet/running after 4 months of running train on my body. Probably average about 6000-7000 cals a day of beer and food with zero exersize, and it eventually went right to my stomach, ass, and thighs. 15 lbs later (i can't believe it wasn't more). Finally tipped 200 on the scales and said "this is enough."

Now I'm eating small balanced meals and running. The goal is to shed 20

lbs, and be 180 at 5'10". Then do some heavier lifting again.

If I can offer some advice: don't wait to cut weight before you start lifting weights. A nice simple program (like Starting Strength) will help you build muscle and regulate body fat, if you follow the program and eat intelligently. I did what you are proposing after hitting the 230lb mark back in '07. I lost 70lbs and was just skinny fat, with no muscle tone whatsoever. If I had started lifting back then I'd be a hell of a lot stronger and probably have even lower body fat by now.

A bit of free advice is worth every penny. :lol:

Had some friends run it last year. They recommended exactly what you are doing, sacrifice strength training (assuming you already have a base) and run your goddamn heart out. They also said cutting weight a bit would be a huge boost for endurance.

Nothings better then pushing/pulling your own body weight. I've been strickly focusing on pull-ups for the last few months. At the begining I was only able to do 3 - 4 per sets, now I'm up to 10 - 12 per sets using different hand positions. A lot of the competition requires climbing up/over walls, rope climbs and swings and even the dreaded incline/decline monkey bars. So I got to make sure my back and arms are going to be strong enough.

Nothings better then pushing/pulling your own body weight. I've been strickly focusing on pull-ups for the last few months. At the begining I was only able to do 3 - 4 per sets, now I'm up to 10 - 12 per sets using different hand positions. A lot of the competition requires climbing up/over walls, rope climbs and swings and even the dreaded incline/decline monkey bars. So I got to make sure my back and arms are going to be strong enough.

exactly, body strength training is the best, F1, i recommend rock climbing if you havent done it before, i love it, been doing it for a couple of years now, its hard at first, but after a couple of months you really see the outcome of your body and strength

exactly, body strength training is the best, F1, i recommend rock climbing if you havent done it before, i love, been doing it for a couple of years now, its hard at first, but after a couple of months you really see the outcome of your body and strength

Use to do rock climbing several years ago, just haven't had the itch to go do it again. I agree, it will def let you know how strong (or not) you are and where your weekness are.

• Mega Users
If I can offer some advice: don't wait to cut weight before you start lifting weights. A nice simple program (like Starting Strength) will help you build muscle and regulate body fat, if you follow the program and eat intelligently. I did what you are proposing after hitting the 230lb mark back in '07. I lost 70lbs and was just skinny fat, with no muscle tone whatsoever. If I had started lifting back then I'd be a hell of a lot stronger and probably have even lower body fat by now.

A bit of free advice is worth every penny. :lol:

Had some friends run it last year. They recommended exactly what you are doing, sacrifice strength training (assuming you already have a base) and run your goddamn heart out. They also said cutting weight a bit would be a huge boost for endurance.

underdog, skinny fat=gross. I dun wanna look like that.

I cut the cal intake to less than a 1/3rd of what I was eating before (started monday morning). My energy is pretty low after my 4 mile runs each day, and its tough for me to get the will to hit the gym after my runs. I'm eating balanced meals, and making sure I get my carbs.

i dont know jack about losing weight. I just know if you stop eating like an a$$hole, and run, you can lose weight quick (i cant believe how much weight fell off in 3 days, a lot more than when I did this before).

Do you have a basic workout that I should be doing, maybe splitting my running days up and doing workout days in between? I gotta burn more fat. These weddings coming up are gunna kill me.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

^^^ Couple basics: Interval training is your friend. As far as weight loss and running goes, 4 miles isn't going to do a whole for you, unless you do one of two things. 1) Run immediately after lifting. Your body will burn through its sugars during your lift, and will tap into its fat reserves during your run. Make sure to eat properly to recover. 2) If you can't/don't want to go this route, embrace the interval. Tabata's or something similar, basically spiking your heart-rate repeatedly, will do far more for your metabolism than cranking out four miles. On a normal day, under normal circumstances, when running that kind of mileage at your average speed, most need to be approaching the 90 minute mark before your body starts burning fats, which isn't the most efficient way to train. This number will come down in your case as you approach ketosis, but still won't be the best use of your time. Another exercise: the rowing machine. Holy hell are those things brutal. Do similar interval-type training, or perhaps 3-5 500's for time, starting below your threshold and attempting to quicken your pace by 10 or so seconds each 500.

Archived