LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it sucks, but someone always has to be the guinea pig.

it's just a great thing that FBP and (seemingly) Invidia have been cooperative.

I really want this exhaust. You don't need a tune, correct? Who wants to buy it for me?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

First i would like to thank Jeremy, Ed the service mgr and Seth the tech who worked on my car today. I was said guinea pig and couldn't be happier with the end results. I arrived around 10.00 a.m. and my car was inside by 10.30. I tried sitting in the waiting area but by 11.00 I was outside with my face pressed up against the garage bay window. Seth was starting to work on the fitment issue and Ed asked me to come take a look. This system looks great! A few cuts later some adjustments and it was done. Seth took it for a test drive and when he pulled out of the garage and drove off I knew I had made the right choice. The rumble was perfect not to loud and a nice low tone. I looked and listened to alot of exhaust set ups and to me this is the best one i've heard. Jeremy thanks again and I will be back for the downpipe real soon. Probably next week.Lol!

soooo....what about those of us who didn't buy from FBP?

I mean granted I had midas fix mine but this whole thing leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about Invidia's customer service and fitment.

the exhaust does sound cool though.

I've been using it now for about 1500 miles and it appears to have gotten slightly louder. I think maybe the mufflers are just bedding in a bit. I think it sounds better :)

soooo....what about those of us who didn't buy from FBP?

I mean granted I had midas fix mine but this whole thing leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about Invidia's customer service and fitment.

Did you purchase direct from Invidia, or from another Vendor?

That would be where to start pursuing things.

If it's another Vendor, given how FBP has handled this, I would see if they are able to match the same.

And in case you went direct with Invidia, I'd pursue your sales contact (since the C/S contact you tried, when you started having trouble, didn't work :() as a starting point, and if that fails, to then see if FBP can mediate contact between you and whatever customer-service is active, at Invidia, via their own source there.

---

Edit - found this from your previous post. :)

Also copied Josh at import image racing since that is where I ordered the CBE from.

^ Is Import Image Racing able to offer any assistance/compensation at all?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got mine installed last night, heres my post from the FBP's thread.

So... FBP :)Do you know what Invidia fixed on round 2 of these exhausts? Beyond the crossover pipe, it looks like they could cut a 1/4"-1/2" off the front of the mid-pipe.

I installed this exhaust last night and it was a PAIN. Not only that, as Gmachine pointed out, the mufflers butt into the bumper plastic. The mufflers needs to sit back about a 1/4"-1/2" (which I think could be remedied by cutting that much off the front of the mid-pipe). Also, as a few people mentioned, the passenger side muffler does not sit in the cutout very well. I think there's still some tinkering to be done, but it was not an easy install.

Sound - 9

Fit - 6

Looks - 9

Overall - 8.5

Did you install as is out of the box? I'm assuming you got the kit from FBP with the crossover pipe pre trimmed. Passenger side muffler,if it is sitting too far left or right indicates not enough or too much was trimmed. If it is sitting high or low try rotating the crossover.

Those Perrin parts find another home yet?:)

Did you install as is out of the box? I'm assuming you got the kit from FBP with the crossover pipe pre trimmed. Passenger side muffler,if it is sitting too far left or right indicates not enough or too much was trimmed. If it is sitting high or low try rotating the crossover.

Those Perrin parts find another home yet?:)

Its sitting pretty decent now. I got the kit from FBP.

The Perrin pieces are sitting in my garage, haven't gone anywhere yet :)

I may be purchasing the V2 of this Invidia... I love this exhaust, but the fitment is killing me :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just around 3 and 1/2 inches trimmed from the cross-over pipe.

I think I'm going to trim off another 1/2 an inch to 3/4 of an inch. Both of my outboard tips makes contact with the respective bumper plastic of the cut-outs. I'm relatively certain that it's still the cross-over's length that's the problem, as without the passenger's side in-place, the driver's side canister sits perfectly within its cut-out.

A Dremel with fiberglass-reinforced cut-off-wheels makes short work of the pipe, especially if one trades blade longevity for speed :redface: - I go through 3 and 1/2 discs per full-circle cut section, but boy have I gotten the job done, fast! :lol:

Surprise of surprises, I'm actually not getting any of the other fitment issues with the exceptions of the flex contacting the heat-shield (I'm a 5MT) and the somewhat mildly problematic 3rd/last cat. -to- midpipe flange seal (more details: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2867222&postcount=132). Thanks to (in no particular order) Gmachine, nwsurfwakeskate, maddoc, and BCP2011's previous posts, I was prepared to take action at all the possible trouble spots, but nothing else surfaced. I got lucky with production variability!

More details tomorrow, but for the time being:

Total time-on-task so-far has been approx. 6 hours, with about 1 and 1/2 of that spent extracting my previous setup. Although my old pipes were quality products (custom Magnaflow resonated mid, Lachute Y, and Blitz Nur-Spec Touring canisters - all fully 303 stainless), some of the hardware I'd used was less than ideal, and lacking a lift/pit (I did everything on jackstands), I didn't have enough space to use my cheater bar. After struggling for a bit with the hardware fastening my mufflers to the Y, I gave up and ended up just dropping the entire cat-back section as one piece (damn, that's heavy!), canisters included. :lol:

In retrospect, if I'd started off that way, I'd have had it done within a half-hour, tops. :redface:

I also took a minute to re-check my turbo-to-DP bolts, which were repeatedly loose after my dealership put in my ACT clutch. I figured having the post-cat elements unbolted would give me best-shot at tightening everything back up, if it needed to be done. Getting the turbo heat-shield off and back on again, with a 10-minute search for a lost Pop-It from my engine cover (I got distracted when my wife yelled at me to go help our nanny unload groceries) added about another half-hour to the duration.

This means that I spent about 4 hours wrenching on the Invidia components, total, so far.

Getting the mid and Y onto the car took less than a half hour.

Most of the time spent was in repeatedly cutting the cross-over (I started off at just under 2 and 1/4 inch trimmed), as well as repeated adjustments in hanging the canisters.

I've driven around a little, with some heat-shielding placed into the exhaust cut-out to displace the muffler tips from the vulnerable plastic bumper skin. Even though it's still way too early to render final thoughts on the sound of the unit, I'm very pleased - it's nice and subtle from off-idle to about 2K RPM, which is precisely the opposite of my previous setup. I haven't really had a chance to romp on her, yet, though, saving that for the Monday commute! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

At the urging of my 4-year old daughter, I took her to Lowes, and bought a pack of proper metal cut-off wheels for my Dremel, as well as another set of their quick-change chucks, as I'd lost my original. Define irony: when you get home, and you find that missing quick-change chuck. :lol:

Anna was right - using the proper tool made the job a lot easier. Leave it to a 4-year old to point out the obvious.

Two discs of the metal cut-off wheels easily and quickly chops through the pipe.

I took off another 1/2 an inch. I think I might take off another 1/4 of an inch this coming week, depending on how the exhaust "settles."

Neither side now touches the bumper skin, but I still have some heat-shielding there, just in case.

This "final fitment" took about 1/2 hour. Making for the total wrenching on the Invidia components of about 5-hours.

I think that this could have been easily halved, if Invidia did a better with the length of the cross-over section. I'd say that I've easily chopped off 4 inches of the cross-over, and likely could even go as far as another 1/2 inch. Given what the others here have cited as their cuts, I think that the best thing for Invidia to do, to help their end-consumer wrench for themselves, would be to shorten the current cross-over's length by at least 2 and 1/2 inches, but provide more length to the flared female ends of the components, thus allowing the end-user more flexbility in final adjustment, without the need to trim.

That's the most obvious issue - but I think that given the unique-vehicle variances we've seen that troubled each of our distinct installations, Invidia should also definitely take into consideration the suggestions by the other initial-release buyers/installers (i.e. flex section hitting heat shield, length of flex/resonated section), to make for an easier end-user install.

my exhaust has been on he car and other than the initial fitment issue i am loving the exhaust. the tips fit snug it the exhaust cutouts in the bumper, with no melted paint/bumper. a few days after the install i threw it on a lift and tightened everything to make sure it was all secure and settled in. the sound is truly amazing.

^maddoc

same happened to me, get underneeth your car with a razor blad and trim the inner parts of the bumper, where they rub the muffler, this will remedy the issue, unless it burnt the noticeable part of the bumper, then I would be pissed. I complained to FBP where I bought the unit, they said send pictures, as they havent seen this problem...

Glad it wasn't just my muffler that did this, however it does suck it happened to you, and me, and anyone else.

habitual derail-er

Its on the inner parts, but also the exhaust cutouts on the outer edges. I'm going to be getting pictures this week.

One of the Invidia tags that are tacked to the tips is also falling off (less than 1k miles of use). I already spoke to FBP and I will be following up with Invidia.

^ I'm not sold on the tack-weld of the tags, either. I'll be adding some JB-Weld along the inside seams. :)

I *think* my tips are clearing the outer edges now, but like I said above, I'm going to keep the heat-shielding material there, for a while, just-in-case. That was definitely the most problematic portion of my install - the part which required the most adjustments.

Sorry to hear that you two had problems. :(

I thought so too, but then I noticed my bumper melting the other day :( the fact that the Invidia tag tack weld just POPPED off for no reason kind of irks me. The car has been washed once since putting the exhaust on, and there's nothing else that goes near the tips other than a sponge. Well, pictures first, then a call to Invidia...

maybe its time for the Gialla CF garnish for the rear bumper :lol:

Archived