LegacyGT.com

New quad tip muffler... stay tuned

lawl

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that Invidia is going under. It's probably just the usual e-mail problems that occasionally gets everyone.

:)

I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder to trim the cross over pipe.

Midas used a sawsall ;)

Sawsall FTMFW!!!!! :lol: ----> http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I still don't understand the logic behind not following the OEM piping. Sound? Cheaper to manufacture with less bends?

I guess the Borla is piped the same way.

well, its piped pretty similar. I think the main reason behind the flex section rubbing on the heat shield is due to the fact that its going from 2.25" pipe to 3" pipe and the flex section is more like 4" dia. so the space provided is not really designed to accommodate something that diameter.

^ Very interesting point - I think I will be a cross-confirmation case for you, nwsurfwakeskate, when I undertake my install, as I've also retained my 3rd-cat. section.

----

^ Related to that....

Gmachine - Are you using an aftermarket DP that mates directly to the Invidia? If so, what's the "diameter" of your DP?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Wow. Lots of chit chat since last night. Called it an early night yesterday and left it pretty much as is from my last post. Gonna do some more tweeking tonight.

I am totally stock from the turbo back. Not up to the midpipe install yet. If the flex rubs on the heat shield it wouldn't suprise me. Even the upper bolt head of the OEM flex joint is very close to the heat shield. I ran a Perrin mid y prior to this and had to remove the heat shield before i did some other mods to correct that.

^ Gotcha, thanks. :)

Good luck on your progress tonight!

---

Aside - my Frankenstein of a system, with a custom (but off-the-shelf, not custom-fitted to the car) Magnaflow resonated mid and Lachute Y, cleared everything with no issues...and my Blitz canisters were only ever so slightly "off," in the usual expected manner (passenger's side versus driver's side), which was fixed with a single-side "tuck."

Crossover pipe has been trimmed to 22.5 in. Muffler now sits in bumper cutout,but not perfect yet. I may have to trim down to 22 or 21.5in. Installed midpipe,flex does rub on heat shield. Should be easy fix.

Tonights observations:

1.Both mufflers rub a little on bumper cover and rear inside bodywork

2.Left side toe link just hits Y pipe with suspension at full droop. May not be a big deal with car on the ground.

3.Left sway bracket (AVO) will hit muffler inlet pipe.

4.Mid pipe flex rubs heat shield,may be better using 3in type downpipe.

5.Mid pipe almost disappears under car,tucks up very well.

This exhaust has so much to like about it,but as delivered it's not for the person who just wants to turn a wrench and drive off. I really hope Invidia fixes these issues. I suggest they extend the Y pipe toward the rear 2 in. and shorten the inlet pipe of the muffler by 2.5 to 3in if possible. This would keep the elbow from hitting the sway bracket,and give the muffler more room to clear the inside edge of the bumper cover and rear bodywork.

IMG_4765.jpg.43ddbfb532226c8b745cb93df610f61f.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg.3d01bb7ea640c684090eafb0117afc57.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg.a8486ce4464067cd26be31ffd6a53910.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg.cd4dd19e3d9573d269a7a6210b92a526.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg.4c21ebadb13deb688031747775d45396.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg.54d2209133ca23fe53389c6d07ebeae1.jpg

^ +1.

Thank you, G.

I think I'll wait and see what Invidia has to say/do about the issue, before install.

Besides, I've got all winter to wait! :lol:

This exhaust has so much to like about it,but as delivered it's not for the person who just wants to turn a wrench and drive off. I really hope Invidia fixes these issues. I suggest they extend the Y pipe toward the rear 2 in. and shorten the inlet pipe of the muffler by 2.5 to 3in if possible. This would keep the elbow from hitting the sway bracket,and give the muffler more room to clear the inside edge of the bumper cover and rear bodywork.

But...buying an exhaust that retails for almost $1000 should not entail that kind of work!

On another note, how's it sound vs the Perrin ? :)

It looks awesome.

But...buying an exhaust that retails for almost $1000 should not entail that kind of work!

Although I agree that the exhaust should not require that kind of work (a bit of tweaking, I think, is to be expected, but shortening a pre-made piece by over 2 inches? that's ridiculous), but this is not a $1K exhaust system - it's a $700 system, and that's with nearly $50's worth of shipping included.

At the $1K level, this kind of problems would be totally unacceptable.

Additionally, it's important to remember that this is the initial run of the product, and a bit of trial-and-error is to be expected.

To me, the initial fit, while disappointing, is not the true issue - the true concern will be how Invidia will handle righting the wrong, including addressing those who've already made their own attempts to correct the fitment problems.

what kind of camera did you use? that is some quality video and sound.

Canon Vixia HF100 with external mic and Tiffen Wide Angle lens

I had it setup running 1080 60i 17Mbps which was then down converted to 720 30P at 5Mbps (max vimeo HD allows)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/nwsurfwakeskate/IMG_5801.jpg

MSRP is $979.00 :) Hence why I said "retail $1k"

^ Ah! Now I understand. :) My apologies!

Exhaust tinkering is in official Holiday hold mode. Won't be able to touch it till at least sunday.

veritas -thanks,the floor almost feels warm in comparison to concrete slab. Worth every cent!

maddoc- i have been resisting the urge to start up the car. I have more tweeking to do so it's gonna come apart a few more times. I did not want pipes and mufflers dropping water and junk on me.

Enjoy your Holidays guys!!!

Very nice! Thanks again, nwsurfwakeskate! :)

Hell, Invidia shouldn't just compensate you for what you had to pay, to get the install corrected - they should also give you a commission for the videos. ;)

Sounds/behaves a lot like my current Magnaflow/Lachute/Blitz setup, including how hotter air runs the longer passage.

Good stuff. Thanks!

What are your other exhaust and intake mods (if any)?

just installed this yesterday.

it would not fit at all until I trimmed about 2 inches off of the pipe that connects the passenger side muffler to the Y-pipe.

managed to squeeze it in by just doing that but the tips were touching the bumper on the outsides on both driver and passenger sides. also the flex pipe rubs on the heat shield and it seems weird to me that the stock down pipe donut does not nest inside of the catback pipe nicely.

I went to midas and they had to cut adjust and weld the joints between the mufflers and the y-pipe. they also had to shorten the pipe coming out of the back of the passenger side muffler because it wasn't the same length as the drivers side. they got it all squared up and it looked very nice until I got home and I noticed the whole thing has shifted about an inch to the drivers side. So when I get a chance I'll head back to midas and have them adjust it once more.

so far I have noticed better low end, faster turbo spool, quicker throttle response, and the butt dyno seems to notice a small improvement as well. It is quieter then hogzawst and the only rpms I have found drone at are when you are creeping at 1000rpm in 1st or 2nd gear through parking lots.

it does look great and sounds good. not too loud not too quite. just right :)

I'll take some pics once I get it adjusted hopefully only one more time.

oh yeah. my car is an 05 RBP GT Wagon and the only other mods are an uppipe and an ACT streetlite clutch/flywheel combo

;)

Had a few hours to work on the exhaust,got everything lined up and buttoned down. Did some grinding on the left side AVO rsb bracket . Trimmed underside of bumper to clear muffler cans. Rear body panel and corner of bumper beam bracket,required a little reshaping with a rubber mallet and a 5lb. hammer wearing a sock.

Oh yeah also cut another 3/4in off crossover pipe. In total i cut off about 3in. There is no doubt the crossover is too long,but part of the problem is the flare outs on the female side of the slip joints. The female sides are flared down to almost 3in. But you can't get more than 2in of pipe into them.

I do not recommend that anyone cuts off 3in of the crossover in one shot,you can't add piping back!!

This exhaust required way more work to install than it should have. The stuff i had to do were not difficult to perform,just too much of it for the price of admission. On the plus side the exhaust looks great on the car,muffler sizing and tip location are spot on. So far i like the sound as well,though i have not gone cruising yet.

Archived