LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 05 has the original 10/04 OEM battery. I haven't perceived any issues with it yet but am thinking maybe before the worst of this coming winter maybe I should consider changing it out. The car now has about 97k on it and has spent its whole life in southeast PA. I don't recall ever having an aftermarket battery last as long as this OEM one has.

I'm still on my original battery (delivery date Jan 05). Funny how that outlasted my motor.

On second thought, not that funny

How many miles did you have on the motor?

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• 1 month later...
After 6 years and 1 month, I replaced my OEM battery with a larger group-35 Duralast Gold. Not because of any problem with the old battery, but because I did not want to push my luck and risk a battery failure this winter. Changing a battery in an icy parking lot in the middle of winter is no fun.:eek:

After 6 years and 1 month, I replaced my OEM battery with a larger group-35 Duralast Gold. Not because of any problem with the old battery, but because I did not want to push my luck and risk a battery failure this winter. Changing a battery in an icy parking lot in the middle of winter is no fun.:eek:

^ I changed mine in a cold drizzle, in the dark.

When I was putting Anna to sleep that night, she said, with all the seriousness that only a 4-year old can muster, "Dada, it's probably not a very smart idea to change the battery when it's dark and raining out."

:lol::lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Ah, the voice of reason can speak at a young age. :)

Though my OEM battery isn't really dead after 5 yrs and 50K miles, I'm probably going to replace it with an Optima Red Top (good deal now at Costco) as it's getting colder out. There's just a little bit of corrosion on the tie downs as an early indicator.

My late '04 OEM still seems to be going strong but I'm planning on changing it rather than risk a failure in this coming NY winter.

My MIL just last week was suddenly having trouble with her battery so we gave her a jump and sent her off to her regular mechanic. I'd have just changed it myself but Chevy buried the battery in her Lumina. We were all amazed to find out that she was still going on the original MY 1999 battery! (It died for good as she drove into the mechanic's lot).

My Outback XT was built in the first half of 2005 but I took delivery in Feb 2006, I put 61k on it, this weekend the battery was dead. It leaked pretty badly and corroded the tie down.

For those of you that have had the battery fail, is this the common scenario...it seems fine one day and then all of a sudden it's dead? Or were there warning signs in advance?

For those of you that have had the battery fail, is this the common scenario...it seems fine one day and then all of a sudden it's dead? Or were there warning signs in advance?

Mine wasn't dead, just weak, but there had been lots of corrosion. I took it into the dealership a few times, and they gave it a clean bill of health. That said, when it corroded through the tie-down, I bought a new one.:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 1 month later...
October 2004 -> February 2010 = 64 months and 110,00 miles on the OEM battery!

It is getting a little slower when cranking on these 18 degree mornings.

There! Now I've gone and jinxed myself....:redface:

I think that I am going to 'bite the bullet' and retire my OEM battery.

After 73 months and 130,000 miles it is getting noticeably s-l-o-w-e-r on cold morning start-ups.

If the GT were my daily driver, I'd run it until it died...but my wife drives it most of the time and she doesn't like that idea....:rolleyes:

Several batteries in my other vehicles were running strong and then, all of a sudden, they'd go dead without any warning/symptoms.

I've heard that 'WallyWorld' EverStart batteries are pretty good and have a high rating...anyone else use them?

I've heard that 'WallyWorld' EverStart batteries are pretty good and have a high rating...anyone else use them?

A fair number of people over on subaruoutback.org have used them with success. I ended up going with a larger Interstate when I replaced mine, depends upon what your priorities are. Here is the thread on my replacement..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

Archived