LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

They don't last very long at all if you live in a consistently cold climate.

I replaced mine this winter, so it lasted about 2 years before I lost my patience resetting my presets and seatbelt chime over and over again.

Although, my 91 has it's original Interstate battery, and I've never had an issue.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bout 2 years.. then it started to bulge and leak and just about destroyed my positive terminal connector.

my car before last it lasted about 5 years, car after that I only had for a year or so so obviously it was fine.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

About six months for me. Like Bdubs said, I got tired of losing my presets on cold days. The factory battery didn't like temperatures below 20 degrees. I opted for an Optima Yellowtop and haven't looked back.

yeah it really depends on Where you live (temp). here in Arizona where its 110+ degrees 3-4 months out of the year, the rule of thumb is around 2-3 years on a 5 year battery. Granted there are exceptions.. some will die earlier and some will die a little later. Extreme weather states are going to be a little harder on your car then Normal states (according to subaru you should get your routine maint., done earlier if you live in an extreme weather state).

Bought my 05 late Jun 04, 105,000 miles. Still on the OEM battery. The car is driven just about every day. It spends every winter weekend and a couple of vacation weeks in VT during the cold weather. Like ^^ it has started every -20 +F morning even after sitting for a couple of -20F days. I do keep the terminals clean and protected with grease.

I think I will replace it this Oct, better safe then sorry in Jan...cheap insurance...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For both the 05 OBXT and the 07 spec.B, our OEM batteries were electrically good but puked acid like no tomorrow. I replaced the battery on the spec.B in less than a year and just over 3 years on the 05. The battery terminals on the 05 got so corroded so quickly that it left my wife stranded. I got it cleaned up and running long enough to get to Costco and replace it with a sealed Optima Yellow Top. I've been running a Braille lightweight sealed unit on the spec.B for over a year, now.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

For both the 05 OBXT and the 07 spec.B, our OEM batteries were electrically good but puked acid like no tomorrow. I replaced the battery on the spec.B in less than a year and just over 3 years on the 05. The battery terminals on the 05 got so corroded so quickly that it left my wife stranded. I got it cleaned up and running long enough to get to Costco and replace it with a sealed Optima Yellow Top. I've been running a Braille lightweight sealed unit on the spec.B for over a year, now.

yeap same thing happened to my battery.. messed up the terminals and everything. but that thing did last forever though so i wont complain..i think about 4 years.

49 months and counting for me. I did buy a new one while preping for the turbo swap, but still haven't gotten it installed yet. Since the new turbo went in; I've been real bad about either leaving the key in the "ON" position(In garage with door closed) and walking away with the laptop or leaving one of the map lights on and walking away for the night:rolleyes:. Probably a good thing I'm thrashing the old battery and not a new one though.
Let's kick this pig!

49 months and counting for me. I did buy a new one while preping for the turbo swap, but still haven't gotten it installed yet. Since the new turbo went in; I've been real bad about either leaving the key in the "ON" position(In garage with door closed) and walking away with the laptop or leaving one of the map lights on and walking away for the night:rolleyes:. Probably a good thing I'm thrashing the old battery and not a new one though.

You know the new battery is just using itself up as it sits there in your garage right? Its effective lifetime is less the longer it sits. Car batteries are not something you can buy and keep to use for a later date.

• 6 months later...

I just changed mine last month @ about 87,xxx miles. Figured it was time before it got cold. The seatbelt chime kept coming back also. Got the car back in January 2005.

When I did finally change it, I had to get new connections cause the battery acid ate away and broke the OEM battery connections.

I'm coming up on 5 years and I notice mine having some trouble getting the car turned over when the temp hovers around 30 outside. Thinking of replacing. Went to Sears, they don't have the group 85 in a Diehard. Without forking out money for a Yellow Top, where can I get a reliable battery? What does the dealership charge for an OEM?

• 2 weeks later...

I think mine just died. I bought this car from Southern CA and brought it to CT. Been driving it for 1500 miles so far. I went to turn it over this morning, which was pretty cold at around 30 degrees, and it turned and then missed. I went to turn it over again and it missed the entire time.

The car sat for a while so i think that had something to do with it. 31000 miles. Bought in late 2006. 2007 Legacy GT wagon with a Subaru/Interstate battery.

Just replaced mine on a 2005 with 39,000 miles.

You need to get out more. I had 27,000 miles the first year.

I just replaced my OEM battery at 114,000 Oct 11th. Like I said above cheap insurance for the coming Winter. Have 115,485 miles today. 64 month's

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived