LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

I'm on the original as well. Purchased car in November of 2004, so I'm at five years from date of purchase. I haven't gone out to look at either the car's production date, or the battery's..

Its on the list of things to be replaced as routine maintenance, hopefully it will get done before it lets me down. I figure this winter will get me if its not replaced first..:rolleyes:

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still the original in mine, 88k.

It was quite sluggish initially when cold ( bought from AZ warm weather ) but after cleaning up the posts and body ground plus adding a few extra grounding wires it starts up like a champ now.

In addition the throttle response is improved.

My bugeye had horrible grounds, the LGT seems to be similar.

When I bought my GT, it was sitting for about 2 years and the OEM Subaru battery was completely dead. I was researching new batteries when I realized the previous owner had the battery replaced and the one in the car was still within the free replacement period. (woo hoo!) Don't have much time on this new battery, but I hope it will last for a while.

I had a Honda that I bought used and it had an Everstart battery from Wal-Mart in it. I never had a single issue with it in the 7+ years I owned the car. They are made by Johnson Controls, same people that make Optima batteries as well as many others.

I purchased a red top Optima battery for another car and it only lasted a few months. I wrote it off as a fluke as many people have and love Optima batteries. When I took it back to the auto store, they said "oh man, here's another Optima coming back" so perhaps they had a bad/old batch. I wasn't impressed with their selection, so I just kept the money and planned on purchasing elsewhere. I lost my core battery because of that, so I got a free Everstart Maxx battery from a junkyard to use as a core for my next battery. Just for fun, I hooked it up and the car started right up! I used it for about a year before getting a new battery.

Oh yeah, Optima batteries are HEAVY!

Changed mine in my '05 with 56K just a couple months ago. Funny story, too. Me and my buddy were hanging out (he's got an LGT also) and we were going to go for a spin and the battery died right there. :redface: It was a Sunday evening and I said "Where am I going to get a new battery right now?" He said "Well, I have one in my garage" You see, he was smart. He changed his original battery before it died and kept it as a backup. I guess you can say my battery died at the best pkace and best time it could have. :lol: We put his spare LGT battery on and we were on our way. A few days later, I put my new one on and returned his spare.

So allayous with 5 year old batteries. Don't count on being as lucky as I was. Change your batteries. :spin:

Still the original in mine, 88k.

It was quite sluggish initially when cold ( bought from AZ warm weather ) but after cleaning up the posts and body ground plus adding a few extra grounding wires it starts up like a champ now.

In addition the throttle response is improved.

My bugeye had horrible grounds, the LGT seems to be similar.

Jinxed myself, battery looks to have died last week.... :rolleyes:

Edit, dead cell = new battery! 87k miles.

I have a 2005 GT purchased in April 2005. I just replaced the OEM battery over the weekend at 113,950 miles. The battery did not die, but it was starting to swell a bit on the sides and bottom and the starts were getting labored.

The OEM was a group 85, but I got an EverStart Maxx-35N. The Group 35 is about an inch taller and , but it fits just fine. The EverStart was tied for the #2 rating by Consumer Reports for that size, and was only $75.

Archived