LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

Sounds like the average max life is 5 years for car battery.

I am gonna guess the stock battery is / was rated at 60 months. Unless something is wrong / gone bad, I've found these age rating to be remarkably accurate if, you don't live in Minot, North Dakota nor Miami, Florida (with no offence to you folks living in Great Falls Montana.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heat is bad since it will age faster.

Cold is OK as long as it's charged and don't freeze solid. An uncharged battery will freeze easily while a fully charged is resilient to low temps.

What kills a battery when it freezes is that the water expands and cracks the cells and causes shorts.

453747.png

Heat is bad since it will age faster.

Cold is OK as long as it's charged and don't freeze solid. An uncharged battery will freeze easily while a fully charged is resilient to low temps.

What kills a battery when it freezes is that the water expands and cracks the cells and causes shorts.

+ 1. My folks lived in Florida and went through many more batteries than I do here in New England.

• 4 weeks later...

ive gone through 2 OEM batteries in 5 months now. it is covered under warranty but every time it gets low my car runs like crap. hesitates, almost stalls while braking and using turn signals or just using the door locks.

i have no aftermarket electronics.

at the battery terminals, volts are 13.87 while running and 12.72 while off. is this good?

dealer said altinator was fine but it sounds loud. just a loud whirling noise over the top of everything else. i have a good ear though.

im tired of replacing them. whats wrong???:spin::spin::spin:

I have a 2006 LGT that I got back in Oct of 2006. I was wondering how long the OEM battery could be expected to remain reliable before it should be replaced.:confused:

Cheap solution + Save insurance

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410P7ZJHZVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon $12.99

• 4 weeks later...
I finally replaced my original battery. My vehicle was built in May 2004 and purchased in August 2004, so the battery lasted nearly six years and 73,500 miles

I'm about the same stats, except I'm at 60,000 miles. My battery was still working fine, but I replaced it just to get a new battery in there since it's my wife's daily driver and I'd hate for her to get stranded and need a jump.

• 1 month later...
ive gone through 2 OEM batteries in 5 months now. it is covered under warranty but every time it gets low my car runs like crap. hesitates, almost stalls while braking and using turn signals or just using the door locks.

i have no aftermarket electronics.

at the battery terminals, volts are 13.87 while running and 12.72 while off. is this good?

dealer said altinator was fine but it sounds loud. just a loud whirling noise over the top of everything else. i have a good ear though.

im tired of replacing them. whats wrong???:spin::spin::spin:

Definitely a problem.

• 3 months later...
5 years on my original and it was still working fine. I replaced It due to corrosion buildup that ate away my terminals and tie down. I usually don't see much more than 5 years of reliable use of a battery. Climate does play a role, FL batteries must do better that VT batteries.

I replaced mine last winter - since my car is a 2004 build, that would mean that it went through 5 winters, and by month-of-birth, at least 5 full years on-road.

I'd started seeing some signs of the battery losing its juice over the winter and early spring of 2008, and I didn't want to chance another winter, given that this is my primary driver.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived