LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

My battery is still oem and im assuming its the original one from when the car was new. No issues what so ever and i have a 1200 watt rms woofer amp that i play all the time. I can even play it for a hour at low levels no problems. Id only replace my oem battery with a XS batteries or Kinetic battery really for the price they are good. My old kinetic hc2400 worked like a champ when i had it. And yes thats 2400 cranking amps

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally replaced my OEM battery. Got a Napa Legend 75 group 26r. It's smaller (to clear the FMIC piping) but has more CCA than the stocker. Never gave me a problem, but for the first time in ten years, I'm down to one car, so I can't be too safe.

• 3 weeks later...
My car was sitting for the past week and 1/2 battery was dead so i jumped the car. It ran for a while like 15-20 min i shut it off and it wouldnt start back up. I jumped it again took it to get gas brought it home shut off and it started back up. Its odd IMO that the battery would be shot since the car is only an 08 and its got 46k on the clock. It started back up the 2nd time but it sounded like it struggled. Gotta get the battery tested
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

A friend of mine sent me this article which states that Johnson Controlls basically makes most batteries we buy and see on the market even OEM batteries like the one that was in my LGT

Not surprised but there are likely different specifications for each battery marketer. Not trying to argue which brand might be better. IMO, there may be some built to higher specs but, this is pretty much a commodity product.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a picture of what the factory battery looks like? Not sure if I still have the original battery, don't see a manufactured on date.

Have 77K miles, car is kept outside, still works fine.

Got 4 1/2 years out of the OEM battery on our 2006 Impreza.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Anyone have a picture of what the factory battery looks like? Not sure if I still have the original battery, don't see a manufactured on date.

Have 77K miles, car is kept outside, still works fine.

Got 4 1/2 years out of the OEM battery on our 2006 Impreza.

It's just a non-descript black OEM battery from Johnson controls.

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2011/06/29/670x_b1_a4-3_cCM_z/Johnson-Controls-to-double-local-plant.jpg

I had 114,000 miles on the oem battery two years ago when I replaced it, because I wanted too, before winter.

Most battery's will last 5 or 6 years, some go 7. Just ask yourself, it's Nov 21st, winter is coming, how much longer does my old battery have. I could be smart and replace it before it fails. Or may be in January on a cold windy day when I'm out somewhere, where I can't get help quickly, then it fails and I'm screwed, all because I was to cheap to change it before it failed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

We got 6yrs/105k out of ours. However mine was identified as weak a year prior to replacement.

I wonder if my alternator replacement was due in part to a weak battery for that at least one year period with a weak battery.

• 4 weeks later...

my OEM battery lasted only 65K miles...

A couple nights ago it barely started, it hesitated and finally turned... all my radio presets were reset and my seat belt chime came back on.

Luckily I didnt need a jump in the morning, I guess my alternator did its job. Got a new battery from Advanced Auto Parts. I really wanted to get an Optima but I couldnt justify paying double the price!

my 05 lgt was good up intill i put in storage for a year in sep 2008 when i deployed to iraq, with 87,000 miles. wheni pulled it out in aug 2009 it needed jumped got me home but wouldnt hold a charge anymore.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

My old kinetic hc2400 worked like a champ when i had it. And yes thats 2400 cranking amps

I think that would be 2400 watts.

A good-size battery for something like a diesel pickup has about 850 Cold Cranking Amps. A battery with 2400CCA would be well over 200lb.

My battery is still original. '07, purchased in Nov 06. 140,000km. Moderately cold winters.

i'm having a weird issue where if i let the car sit for a couple days the battery is flat but if i drive every day its fine.

dead battery or some sort of draw?

Likely both. Vehicles draw current when shutdown to keep some equipment "live". This includes things like onboard clocks, receivers for remote power locks, stereo memory, etc.

That draw may not have increased but as your battery ages it's less able to cope. I suspect you're near the very end of life (battery, not you).

Archived