LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 2005 LGT had a build date of Aug-2004. Even though it was still working great, I didn't want to taunt the battery gods so I replaced it last weekend.

Mine was a month or so newer and in the same condition but I felt the same way. I had an old battery sitting around that I used for the CORE and graduated the Subaru one to my Gravely tractor. I was going to get another OEM but for about the same price I got a Bosch 8 year, with some extra cranking amps to boot, from PepBoys.

• I Donated
I've heard that 'WallyWorld' EverStart batteries are pretty good and have a high rating...anyone else use them?

I have the high-end EverStart in my Infiniti G20. It's been in there since November 2006. In May 2008, my alternator died; in April-July 2009, the alternator harness fell apart and I kept on jury-rigging it until I could get a new one, repeatedly draining the battery (and requiring a jump-start 3-4 times). The battery is still going strong.

The OEM battery in my LGT is also going strong, though (knock on wood). I managed to drain it during my engine swap, but recharged it, and it's been enduring the 30-degree mornings recently with no issues.

• I Donated
I might have jinxed myself. I had the radio on for a couple hours while working on my car last night, then started it briefly and shut it off twice in a row moving it out to the street. I had trouble starting this morning -- it started without a jump, but it cranked slowly, and my clock and radio presets reset. Granted, this is a special case (lots of drain on the battery, followed by a night of 20 degree weather and then starting the car when it's not much warmer), but it seems like I might be replacing the battery later this winter.

Mine went before 3 year 36K. Subaru replaced.

Ditto

My first one died after 4 months of unemployment. I was only driving the car once or twice a week and the security system killed it. I got it replaced under warranty and now after 18 months and a year of daily driving I am having troubles with it holding a charge again. :confused:

My stock battery lasted almost 5 years. Bought an Optima Red Top and it has worked awesome with no problems ever since in trying to start in temperatures well below 0 degrees as I used to live in Colorado and had to be at work at 6:00 am and never had a problem even in the dead of winter. I think optima batteries are great and I have never had a problem with them. Yellow tops may be a little overboard unless you have a huge stereo system, my stereo is stock and I will continue to keep my optima red top, I am willing to bet that 5 years from now my optima will still be running great.

I hope you are correct. My yellow top lasted less than 6 months. I did some research and a lot of recent purchases are having issues. It turns out that 2 years ago they moved the Optima manufacturing to Mexico and quality has dropped drastically since then.

My stock battery lasted almost 5 years. Bought an Optima Red Top and it has worked awesome with no problems ever since in trying to start in temperatures well below 0 degrees as I used to live in Colorado and had to be at work at 6:00 am and never had a problem even in the dead of winter. I think optima batteries are great and I have never had a problem with them. Yellow tops may be a little overboard unless you have a huge stereo system, my stereo is stock and I will continue to keep my optima red top, I am willing to bet that 5 years from now my optima will still be running great.

I hope you have good luck with it, but I can tell you from my experience in the truck world that I gave up on the Optima Batteries, as much as I wanted to and tried to like them. There seems to be plenty of others that have had similar experiences, so I steer clear, and that is before the below mentioned happened..

I hope you are correct. My yellow top lasted less than 6 months. I did some research and a lot of recent purchases are having issues. It turns out that 2 years ago they moved the Optima manufacturing to Mexico and quality has dropped drastically since then.

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

• 2 weeks later...
3.5 years / 75k miles... battery was really slow to start car for a few weeks. A couple of weeks ago, the car BARELY started. I added DI water (there was almost no water left) and hooked up a charger. It is almost as good as new. This is in a very hot climate, I drive the car pretty much every day. I'm planning on ordering a Braille to replace soon, currently trying to decide between 11 lb and 15 lb version.
lol

Just replaced mine last week, build date 5/05, that's 5yrs., 7mos. & over 152,000 miles. With a Die Hard Gold, group 36, 740 CCA. It's a bigger battery & has 100 more CCA. For the same price for OEM size Die Hard Gold. With a little modification it fits nice.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

my 09 spec's battery has been iffy at best from the day i picked up the car. ive had it jump started numerous times. usually if i dont touch the car for 3 days its going to need a jump. My local subaru stealership insists that my battery is well and wouldnt warentee it for me. oh and a new replacement would cost $175 + tax, levies and installation. Anyhow i got fed up after needing yet another jump on christmas day. picked up a group 35 (as per the guidebook) from costco to replace my oem group 85. my oem had a 440 cca, new battery is 600 cca shes starting like a champ now. woot!!

2 years, 3 months and 28,000 miles. Aside from suspension, my car is bone stock

Archived