LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

Sure it's been mentioned already, but taking a 4 year old battery and very lightly sanding/buffing the terminals and cable loops with something minorly abrasive, then spraying them with WD-40 and firmly re-tightening (along with checking for loose connections on the overall starter/battery/alternator) cables/grounds....

well, it can really help a battery appear to last longer.

Oh, and apparently (per Rao) you can buy a hot-pink grounding kit with the savings. I don't know...

Joe

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just replaced mine @ 50k miles. '05 Legacy bought summer '04. Car was start to crank over slow was a little weak (seatbelt chime came back on). I was going to put an Optima in from Autozone but $180:eek: I got a Duralast for $85 instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Recent battery test showed OEM battery at 50% capacity. Still mulling over replacement but the LGT is wife and mummy mobile for little kids. It worked fine in 9F start.

Where did you guys get a Bosch. Do chains carry that?

last I checked, Walmart actually had the #1 Consumer Reports ranked battery. Supposedly as good performing as anything, but at a lower cost. Also a rebate for your old one. Great warranty too. Some other thread on here mentioned that only a few companies make all the major brands of batteries in the country, so that at least supports the idea that the differences are sometimes just in the price and mind.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Recent battery test showed OEM battery at 50% capacity. Still mulling over replacement but the LGT is wife and mummy mobile for little kids. It worked fine in 9F start.

Where did you guys get a Bosch. Do chains carry that?

Pep Boys has Bosch batteries, and I recall they are on sale all the time. I don't know if there are any stores up your way.

Lately when I've been snowboarding we'll take a break for a half hour or so and just hang out around my car with some tunes playing. I've made sure to turn off the LCD screen and am pretty much only running the stereo. My question is when I try to start up my car after this my battery is nearly dead and I have to let it sit for 5 mins to build up some juice but then it turns over. I got my '08 with 200 miles on it but I'm wondering if this is something due to the battery already being a few years old. Anyone know if a dealer would replace the battery?

almost 5 years and 42K - I thought it was about done and I went to a track day. 75 miles of high rpm driving, and it's recharged like it is new again. I guess the alternator likes revs. Still going strong. 2 mo later in the dead of a cold Pennsylvania winter.

Lately when I've been snowboarding we'll take a break for a half hour or so and just hang out around my car with some tunes playing. I've made sure to turn off the LCD screen and am pretty much only running the stereo. My question is when I try to start up my car after this my battery is nearly dead and I have to let it sit for 5 mins to build up some juice but then it turns over. I got my '08 with 200 miles on it but I'm wondering if this is something due to the battery already being a few years old. Anyone know if a dealer would replace the battery?

Don't know exactly what that's about, but glad you can start it after. I too have experienced batteries have a little more juice after they sit for a little while. Tip: stop draining batteries. Anyways, a dealer can change a battery (probably not the cheapest way to do it), or you can or anyone who can change a tire probably can do a battery.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Car built in August '04, purchased Jan '05. Died sometime over the weekend, February '10. Who knows how new the battery was when installed at the factory, presumably it was reasonably fresh stock. I can't complain, 5 years on the OEM. Unlike Indiana Jones, it ain't the mileage it is the years.

Just replaced mine when installed my FMIC. Over 4.5 years old and 66k miles. Still worked but it would get a little weak during cold starts.

The new Deka battery i got is the cat's ass. More powerful than stock, smaller and sealed.

Archived