LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My OEM battery started to get weak in December of 2007 when it was exposed to its second Black Hills winter. Since I was working a deal on a new vehicle at the time I didn't bother replacing it, but given how long it was taking to crank over it didn't have long to go. The car had about 50K on the clock when I traded her off.

Now I am contemplating replacing the battery in my Tundra as well since it is an acid puking sumbitch. I'll go with a absorbed glass mat type battery as a replacement, but will not consider an Optima as they have moved production to Mexico and quality has gone to hell. That leaves Odyssey and the Sears Die Hard Platinum, which are both the same battery made by EnerSys. Since I don't give a rat's ass about weight issues in my 5600lb truck, I will stick a group 31M in there. Probably the Die Hard since it is the same battery as the Odyssey for $100 less. It will be interesting to see what 1150 cold cranking amps, and a 205 minute reserve are like on a cold day.

A friend of mine just replaced both batteries in his Duramax with a set of the Die Hard Platinum batteries, and that diesel fires up immediately even on a cold ass day.

• 1 month later...
I still have the OEM battery that came with the car in 2006. But the car only has 26,000 miles on it.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Not helpful here (only 1.5 years old and 36k miles), but I always keep the battery terminals clean and spray them with a bit of WD-40 or other conductive grease to help them stay clean. Down to 15 degrees and the battery still starts the car with barely any hesitation.

90,000 miles and my battery is finally kicking the bucket. Past few days it has been having a hard time starting my leggy. Then again it has been unusually cold here in Fla with nighttime temps in the 30's and 40's (very rare down here). I have a high po sound system as well. Any suggestions without breaking the bank.

4 years, 60k miles... getting weak on the cold-morning starts. Things are better when I remember to turn off the headlights when I shut down at night, or just before starting the car...

I plan to get the Autozone Duralast Gold battery, as I've read that it's decent and cheap...

Just received a mailer from my local dealer. They are doing a free battery check (Subaru vehicles only) and discounting the Subaru battery to $82.95. I recall the battery is an 80-something month battery with a 30 month free replacement and prorated after that. Seems like a decent deal.

Just received a mailer from my local dealer. They are doing a free battery check (Subaru vehicles only) and discounting the Subaru battery to $82.95. I recall the battery is an 80-something month battery with a 30 month free replacement and prorated after that. Seems like a decent deal.

Save money. Buy at Costco or Wally World warehouse. They are all the same.;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Going to replace mine this week. So the original battery lasted about 3 years. I am tell it is having some trouble starting in the cold weather. I am also sick of having to disable my seatbelt chime and resetting my presets.

Hopefully this fixes my Remote Start issue (wipes all presets).

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced the original battery in my 2005 LGT. Basically just shy of 5 years old.

Last winter it was cranking a little hard, and this year even harder, so I figured it would be smart to put a new one in as a precautionary measure.

I went with a 570 CCA battery from autozone, around $83.

The nice part was it was only 28lbs, so it's a bit of a weight savings.

anyone know if there is a warranty on the OEM battery? I think mine is starting to go bad, having a hard time starting the car after its been sitting outside overnight around 15-20*F outside temps. I have 35.4k miles so just before the 3yr/36k warranty left on my 08 LGT

anyone know if there is a warranty on the OEM battery? I think mine is starting to go bad, having a hard time starting the car after its been sitting outside overnight around 15-20*F outside temps. I have 35.4k miles so just before the 3yr/36k warranty left on my 08 LGT

Just a guess it's covered but, a wear and tear item so pro-rated. Let's see, 600 / 36000, well if they absorb the cost of recycling the old one it might be worth it. then again, batteries have a shelf life so you'd need to think about how long the thing has been sitting in the dealer's inventory.

I called and they said its covered the 3yr/36k miles

Going in 30min to dealer and have them test battery and hopefully get new one swapped in. I checked wikipedia about decoding the sticker on the battery. Mine said "J5" which means its a September 2005 battery. My 2008 LGT was built in July 2007. So they gave me an almost 2yr old battery from the factory when car was built.

Archived