LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

Replaced mine yesterday at 83k miles. It still started fine, although very occassionally it cranked a little slow. I mainly changed it because I was sick of seeing the massive amount of corrosion I had on the terminals and tie-down strap; in fact I replaced the tie-down strap with a new factory one, as well. I went with the Duralast Gold, based on the recommendations here - thanks.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think of "battery years" like 11 human years. A (2) year old battery is a young adult and a 7 year old battery is an old fart, so 5 or 6 years is typical for the Subaru OEM battery.

There are two OEM versions:

P/N 55D23L: 48 AH, 500 cranking Amps

75D23L: 52 AH, 550 cranking Amps

I've used Autozone Duralast "Yellow Tops" with very good results: Faster cranking and less voltage drop when starting.

The Duralast 35-DLG is rated for 800 cranking Amps (no specified AH rating) and usually costs between $80 and $90. Perfect fit in a Legacy, and they come with a 84 month guarantee with free jump starts for the first (2) years if ever needed.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

T

There are two OEM versions:

P/N 55D23L: 48 AH, 500 cranking Amps

75D23L: 52 AH, 550 cranking Amps

im assumung subaru changed the oem battery's in the later model cars. my 09's battery was all black, had a "johnston controls" label on it, and was 440 Crank Amps. not sure what the AH was. maybe thats why mine died so quick.

Original OEM battery didn't even make it off the lot.

2nd OEM battery (installed before we drove it home) lasted 25 months.

Exide replacement lasted 36 months.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 4 months later...
We finally replaced our 05's a couple months back. It was still working, but we just didnt want to push our luck and end up with a dead battery somewhere. The timing is NEVER good when that happens!

My 05's still on its original battery, but since I have to remove the bumper to replace it (FMIC pipe in the way), I'm waiting til I need a jump start!

You have a RacerX FMIC? If so, you can buy a v.3 two piece cold side pipe from itsme to avoid removing the bumper to replace your battery.

I added the v.3 pipe to my car recently. I joke that I am running a RacerX v.2.5 FMIC :lol:

6 yrs 1 mo old and still going...knock on wood. It seemed like it was dying last year, but a HPDE weekend with a few hundred miles of near redline alternator spinning revived it. It's been flawless since.

Hun...battery's getting old. I've got to go to the track this weekend or we'll have to buy a new one...

You have a RacerX FMIC? If so, you can buy a v.3 two piece cold side pipe from itsme to avoid removing the bumper to replace your battery.

I added the v.3 pipe to my car recently. I joke that I am running a RacerX v.2.5 FMIC :lol:

I've got to remove the bumper to put that pipe on, too! :lol:

Anyways, I've got the extra silicone connector that was included with the kit, I might just cut the pipe in half when it's out... Which will be when I finally replace the OEM battery!

• 2 weeks later...

So I was doing the whole 9 yards of detailing today. In doing the interior, I was getting a bit hot and sweaty so I turn the car in the 'on' position (not start) to put on the fans. Stupid me forgot to turn it off after doing the interior and started on the 3+ hours of washing, claying, washing then sealing. I get in the car to check my phone and my knee bumps my keys.

@#$%! I'm in my 1-car driveway and I can't even put my car in neutral to roll back for my mom's Rav4 to jump me :facepalm: Now I'm waiting for a friend with a charged starter (or something along those lines). I even tried to start it after a couple hours and the lights come on with one 'ding' and then shuts back off with only a few dim lights on in the cluster.

My Legacy is an '08 bought in August 2007 with 17 miles on the ODO. Today it's just a couple hundred miles shy of 40k. Never had any issues and helped 1 or 2 people jump start their cars without a hitch. My mom says they've been replacing the batteries on her and my Dad's Toyotas every 4 years and thinks I should do the same.

Should I? If so, what would be recommended for NJ weather? Rarely goes over 100F but gets stupid humid in the summers, and very rarely does it go below 10-15F in the coldest of winters.

Mine is a J7, rated at 490 cold cranking amps, Group 35 battery size, by Johnson Controls.

Duralast?

Bosch?

Optima Yellow top?

Stick with new OEM?

Other suggestions?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

• I Donated
You had your car not started in the "on" position for 3 hours and you think it indicates your battery is dead because you ran out of charge? Your car was actively discharging! For 3 hours! Just recharge and call it even.

Well, I don't think it's dead, and I've never run down my battery like this before. But I like the idea of replacing before I absolutely need to, so it just got me thinking of looking at viable options.

Just recharge and see... A battery that's truly in need of being replaced is giving telltales of a much lower capacity long before. Unfortunately that means that you may not notice that until autumn or winter approaches when you need extra juice to start.

In your case I would have swapped battery with another car to move your car to a convenient location and then swap back if I couldn't use a charger.

453747.png

^Fortunately, a friend of mine mentioned a shift-lock button on his car. This prompted me to pop up that pea-sized cover next to the gear lever and insert a flathead to push a button which unlocks the shift-lock. I just put it in neutral and let it roll backward from my driveway into the street. Voila!

Went for a 30 minute drive to charge it up a bit with no problems whatsoever. Although it may not be such a bad thing to start looking for this coming winter, just to be on the safe side.

tito, I run batteries down like this ALL the time. Its more of that I dont care more then negligence, or maybe that just adds to my negligence haha. But long story short my truck has had the same battery for 8 years and its died like this probably 40+ times in the past 3, I'm about to rewire my moose lights into the ignition so i will stop leaving them on :/ its sticker says 900 cold cranking amps, test out at 1000 normally. different batteries can be bad or good. ive never had problems with subaru oem batteries or optimas.

Edit: Stock battery was still in my 03 leg when i sold it with 105k miles on it

My Legacy is an '08 bought in August 2007 with 17 miles on the ODO. Today it's just a couple hundred miles shy of 40k. Never had any issues and helped 1 or 2 people jump start their cars without a hitch. My mom says they've been replacing the batteries on her and my Dad's Toyotas every 4 years and thinks I should do the same.

Should I? If so, what would be recommended for NJ weather? Rarely goes over 100F but gets stupid humid in the summers, and very rarely does it go below 10-15F in the coldest of winters.

Mine is a J7, rated at 490 cold cranking amps, Group 35 battery size, by Johnson Controls.

Duralast?

Bosch?

Optima Yellow top?

Stick with new OEM?

Other suggestions?

It will most likely be fine after recharged, but take it to a local auto parts store after its been recharged thoroughly and have them load test it, that will tell you its true condition.

Some people say age is the determining factor for a battery. For the most part, it has alot to do with driving style (short trips verses long highway excursions), its care, and the environmental conditions its been asked to endure. That being said, its fairly typical for OEM batteries to last about 4-5 years before being in need of replacement.

As for suggestions on what to replace it with, here is my thought process from last year when it was time for a new battery in my Outback..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

Archived