LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what the bulletin says

Make sure the mesh screen is installed in the proper direction; incorrect installation will cut off oil supply to the turbo

Ok, so the bolt only goes in one way so there is no possibility of screw-up there. I am assuming that the mesh has a closed end and an open end. The closed end is supposed to face the top of the bolt, is that correct? I've never seen one yet so I'm just asking about that particular sentence that stood out.

Here's what the bulletin says

Ok, so the bolt only goes in one way so there is no possibility of screw-up there. I am assuming that the mesh has a closed end and an open end. The closed end is supposed to face the top of the bolt, is that correct? I've never seen one yet so I'm just asking about that particular sentence that stood out.

You are correct. Just take the screen out and leave it out:) Or buy another bolt from Subaru and it will ahve the screen in it. Make sure you get the right part though. The one you are looking for goes to the turbo inlet but is the one that mounts on the block, not the turbo.

They are copper washers, and can be reused if you anneal them.

It seems like people keep dropping them into the depth of the engine compartment. I would be pissed if I took it all apart and lost a $1 washer and had to get a ride to Subaru to get another one:) If you ahve the turbo off, it is cake.

Quick question regarding having this checked.

The dealer is wanting to charge me to simply check this, as it's a little PITA to get at apparently. Wtf, if there is a TSB for it, shouldn't it be a free check/fix? I'll do it myself, but I REALLY don't want to be laying on the snowy ground in 10* weather wrenching on a car, been there wayyyyyy too many times before.

Wow, I'm not officially up-to-date on banjo bolt issues with LGTs....after spending 25 minutes reading 15 pages worth of information.

My main concern: Back on page 5, it was being discussed that the oil goes basically from the oil filter to the turbo (i.e. not much intervening space for it to pick up crap). RyanE made this point, and posted a diagram of engine oil flow.

I looked over the diagram, and it seems to indicate the opposite. It looks like the oil flow for the turbocharger is the turbocharger is LAST in one of the flow paths before going back to the pan.

Am I incorrect in stating this?

No one has mentioned it, but it seems like development of an inline-oil filter directly prior to the turbocharger, and removal of the banjo bolt filter, is the way to get worry-free clean oil (plus longer OCIs on good synthetic) and no longer concern yourself with poor banjo bolt design.

Is there just no room for such a custom inset?

Joe

My main concern: Back on page 5, it was being discussed that the oil goes basically from the oil filter to the turbo (i.e. not much intervening space for it to pick up crap). RyanE made this point, and posted a diagram of engine oil flow.

I looked over the diagram, and it seems to indicate the opposite. It looks like the oil flow for the turbocharger is the turbocharger is LAST in one of the flow paths before going back to the pan.

Am I incorrect in stating this?

No one has mentioned it, but it seems like development of an inline-oil filter directly prior to the turbocharger, and removal of the banjo bolt filter, is the way to get worry-free clean oil (plus longer OCIs on good synthetic) and no longer concern yourself with poor banjo bolt design.

Is there just no room for such a custom inset?

Joe

Hi Joe,

How I read the oil flow diagram is thusly:

oil pan -> oil strainer -> oil pump rotor -> oil cooler -> oil (filter) element -> Cylinder block main gallery RH -> #1, #3 cylinder head RH -> oil pipe -> Turbocharger -> oil pan

It seems that the oil has a long way to go, but it doesn't really go "through" anything in the same way that, for example, the #1 connecting rod bearing gets oil that has hit the #1 journal bearing (front) first. That was my reasoning that the oil wouldn't pick up much cruft on the way. Does that make sense?

As for an inline filter, you would probably have to replace the oil pipe that feeds the AVCS and the turbo with flex hose with the proper fittings to install the hose back onto the turbo and AVCS solenoid. Doable, but you might be better served by running synthetic oil and/or a bypass filter.

-Ryan

• 1 month later...

So, today I decided to pull the infamous banjo bolt that supplies the turbo to see if the filter was clogged, and of course to remove it as well.

Right now there's no way I'm going to remove that bolt. Sure, I've removed everything else and just have to unscrew the banjo bolt to remove it. Why won't I? Because there's no way in hell I'll ever get the rear copper washer back on!

I know my hands won't be able to replace something I can't even see from above, let alone try to put back into place while inserting the banjo bolt.

Suggestions?

Should we be worried about a clogged filter if we change oil every 3000 and use a synthetic that won't cook?

I wouldn't be. I've pulled several now from cars that I have known to be well maintained and all were completely clean. I still pulled out the filters since I had the banjo bolt out, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over leaving them in either.

Should we be worried about a clogged filter if we change oil every 3000 and use a synthetic that won't cook?

The dealer is now recommending that the bolt/filter (sold as a single unit) be replaced every 30,000mi now. To get the best life from my turbo I would service it as recommended.

Archived