LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

The dealer is now recommending that the bolt/filter (sold as a single unit) be replaced every 30,000mi now. To get the best life from my turbo I would service it as recommended.

Do you have any documentation to back this up? Something I from SOA that I could bring to my dealer??

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have any documentation to back this up? Something I from SOA that I could bring to my dealer??

I cant remember at all where I saw it. I certainly wouldnt want to spread rumors that werent true, but I think another member here posted some documentation that said as much. I'll try to find it if possible.

Well, it turned out to be a non-issue. The o-ring stayed in place!!! I was able to remove the bolt, inspect & remove the filter, and replace the bolt in maybe 30 minutes total.

The filter was indeed clogged, or mostly anyway. It left a thumbprint-size area of shiny metallic particles on the paper towel when I sprayed out the filter w/ carb cleaner. I can only assume this is the aftermath of the first turbo's demise.

I won't know if the turbo survived until tomorrow. I don't want it to die during a test drive at night. I doubt my luck will hold out, but if by some miracle the turbo tests ok, there's a track day this Sunday :D

I dunno, maybe a "sucker" who doesn't have the right tools, experience, time or know how to fix it themselves. :rolleyes:

Don't be mistaken my friend. I paid a lot of money (a lot to me) for my new car, and you wont catch me making mechanical alterations to my vehicle, of this nature, myself.

However, I have personally known mechanics who have worked at dealerships, to only leave and work for private outfits later because they became better mechanics and had the opportunity to make more money. What specifically inspired my comment about the "suckers" utilizing the services of dealerships were my personal poor experiences taking my own cars there.

Sorry you identified with my comment and took offense.

The biggest problem with the screen in the BBs is that they are not referenced in the owners manual. SOA has acknowledged there is a design issue that can cause component failure if they become occluded. And worst of all, SOA has yet to officially notify any owners of this problem. The only official document is the TSB released this past fall.

How many owners will get shafted on major repairs (AVCS or turbo failure) because they don't know?

I would think a letter sent to all affected vehicle owners advising them to have these checked, and the potential problems would have been a good effort at customer satisfaction.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I'm changing my oil next weekend and plan to pull these off (2 AVCS and 1 Turbo Oil Supply) for a check/clean. My plan is to buy new banjo bolts (since the filter comes with the banjo bolt) for both the AVCS and the turbo oil feed and just replace the originals bolt/filters at both connections. Then, I'll clean up the originals and keep them as spares. That way, if anything goes wrong taking them off, I'll always have standby replacements ready to go.

Also, according to these two TSBs, (02-97-05 (AVCS Union Filter Bolt) and 02-03-107 (Turbo Union Filter Bolt)) it's a known problem. If you are pulling off the AVCS union bolt/filters, make sure you do it on the oil control valve side, not on the cylinder head side. More info here: http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I wouldn't be. I've pulled several now from cars that I have known to be well maintained and all were completely clean. I still pulled out the filters since I had the banjo bolt out, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over leaving them in either.

Paul, do you offer that service at Yim's? If so, I would like to have my banjo filter checked and replaced. I have replacement units sitting in my garage. Like the OP has said, I looked at the location and it seemed to be too difficult for my gnarly hands to get in there.

After reading through numerous posts concerning the banjo bolt filter I also decided to be proactive and check my filter. Crystal clear. I have 47k on the car now and started using synthetic at about 10k. (not sure if that has made the difference). I do change my oil every 3k pretty religiously. I decided to leave the filter in for now. It took about 30 minutes to remove inspect and re-install. With that being said I will periodically check it from now on. I am sure it can be removed faster the more I inspect it.

After reading through numerous posts concerning the banjo bolt filter I also decided to be proactive and check my filter. Crystal clear. I have 47k on the car now and started using synthetic at about 10k. (not sure if that has made the difference). I do change my oil every 3k pretty religiously. I decided to leave the filter in for now. It took about 30 minutes to remove inspect and re-install. With that being said I will periodically check it from now on. I am sure it can be removed faster the more I inspect it.

I presume everyone is checking all three banjo bolt filter locations correct? Two AVCS and the one Turbo Oil Supply? I'm really equally concerned with the AVCS oil supply side at this point, as it is a known source of rough idle, and lack-luster performance. And the last thing I'd want is to have to tear down the engine top end to replace a AVCS set. Probably equally as expensive as R&Ring a turbo, given the availability of good used stock turbo units.

SBT

If you open up the link in Post #16 above, you'll see two TSB documents attached. Open up the AVCS one (02-97-05) and you'll find two diagrams which show the locations for both AVCS supply side banjo bolt filters. I'm changing my oil this weekend and will attempt to snap some pictures of these locations.

SBT

Nice work!! Takes a little more than an avg backyard mechanic's skill & patience...I think I would have chickened out, and removed the parts to get to the driver's side bolt, which is why I held off looking at mine until I replace the timing belt.

What surprises me is the amount of sludge you had accumulated in 73k, using high quality synthetic oil. The filter's are not much of an issue....even though some definitely have more pleats, or higher bypass spring psi, ultimately from my exprience in trying various brands, they have all proved the same filtering capability in 5-8k drain intervals.

Have you ever had any UOA's performed on your extended Amsoil OCI's? From the plugging up of your filter's, I would say the oil was not up to the job for that long an interval. I have 79k, and my filter was practically new looking. My OCI's have always been at least 5k, and usually between 6.5-7.5k miles. I have used plain 5w30 dino oil & high grade synthetics, they all came back with almost identical wear number's.

I would highly suggest a few oil analysis' be performed to assess the health of your engine, as well as finding a suitable OCI for your conditions.

I finally did my OA's on my G/F's 05 WRX & my GT. Here's a Link.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1738789#post1738789

Both came back , no corrctive action required. Oil is suitable for continued use.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 2 weeks later...
I spent about 3 hours on the car this morning to not find it. I found the one up top, and no filter was in it. I found one more at the end of the line but there was no way to get to it. I removed 3 bolts attached but only one was a banjo and no filter was in it. Do the 07's have these, or did I waste my time?

Subietonic I would be interested to hear how yours turn out when you pull them, keep us updated :)

Sorry - I had indicated above that I was going to try to shoot pictures when I changed my oil - unfortunately, I completely forgot to take my camera with me.

But, I did find that all three of the banjo bolt connects were without filters. I suspect that when I had it in for the UP replacement, that my tech probably pulled them since I mentioned this to him at the time. Looking at the orifices, everything was shiny, clean and everything that I could see looked well-oiled.

HTH

SBT

I spent about 3 hours on the car this morning to not find it. I found the one up top, and no filter was in it. I found one more at the end of the line but there was no way to get to it. I removed 3 bolts attached but only one was a banjo and no filter was in it. Do the 07's have these, or did I waste my time?

It is below the turbo bolted in the head oil galley. Not easy to see to say the least. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83251

I got mine out with a stubby 17mm box end from the top. It is more a "touch/feel'" type of operation. Since my washer dropped:rolleyes:,

I need to completely remove the lower half of the line and install the bolt and washers thru the right fenderwell first, then reconnect the line. You can get this from the top if the washer does not drop.

Do not pull the screen, clean it and reinstall the bolt.

Archived