LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Thanks! I know I'll eventually have to put some elbow grease into it, including a acrylic clear coat. It'll need to look nice when alongside this guy:

llamp.thumb.jpg.00b3ac88a644cf1161d1c251210ed418.jpg

(There are 4,000lbs of bullet train level magnets on the inside of that shelf. The picture isn't on it's side. Who would take a picture on it's side? No one does that, and they would take the time to at least try to rotate it 90* before posting. Or even try to fix it after posting. Not me!)

I've also been vaguely on the lookout for another crank to make another lamp for my work office. Any of you current engine re-builders feel like parting with a used one for literally next to no money? :hide:

What I did with the wagon today.

Well it still puts a smile on my face when I stuff my right foot into it. Getting on the highway, I was still in 2nd gear, saw an opening over my left shoulder that if I didn't take, I'd be stuck in a bunch of traffic. Boy that was easy...3rd gear really pulls hard. After I got ahead of them, I coasted for a bit to let the speed drop back to 70mph then put her on CC.

Haven't been driving the car much since retirement. Did a oil change Nov 9th at 295,600 miles, noticed its at 296,390 miles today. Not skiing this winter, covid has kept me home. Staying healthy and safe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Need to change the oil, but it is way too cold for that nonsense.

She's officially part of the 200k club now too.

There's sooooo much salt all over the roads here. Almost lost it driving into work Tuesday morning on icy roads. I claim autox saved me, but it was probably mostly luck.

I am hoping it warms up enough to knock out the timing belt and AVCS gears here soon. On borrowed time now with the timing belt.

My previous attempt to use a clutch masters stage 1 organic on my 07 when I went Stg2 resulted in a rock crushing sound when in decel... This is why I swapped back to my factory Exedy clutch.

A lot of talk about noisy CM clutches; and then you say rock crushing sounds. Inconsistent rock crushing sounds? Still trying to diagnose my weird bellhousing rattle in neutral, and rock crushing is pretty accurate... Of course I have a CM clutch.

Yeah very noisy on decel, only changed the disc and plate and the noise went away completely. If I ever do an aftermarket clutch again it will probably be a SPEC or just stick with the Exedy HD if that holds up to my setup.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Measured out the mains on the RA block. All in size spec per FSM, with the #4 and #5 mains slightly out of form if the crank journal tolerances translate to the journals in the block as well. Local machine shop will line hone mains to true them up, King pmax XPC bearings, a set of rods because I might as well, and off we go again. Now the 5 speed can be the fusible link in the system.

Maybe if I quit breaking stuff I can actually find time to focus on the ten other things I need to do...

IMG_20210213_203834_443.thumb.jpg.b368d2a4cb7ca6e03e85490f5eb117f7.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

Measured out the mains on the RA block. All in size spec per FSM, with the #4 and #5 mains slightly out of form if the crank journal tolerances translate to the journals in the block as well. Local machine shop will line hone mains to true them up, King pmax XPC bearings, a set of rods because I might as well, and off we go again. Now the 5 speed can be the fusible link in the system.

Maybe if I quit breaking stuff I can actually find time to focus on the ten other things I need to do...

So basically there's nothing Type RA about this short block anymore? lol

Not just today, but over last few weeks, hour here and there been tinkering with my BL9.

n3kNbQX.jpg

IjDeJPW.jpg

exhaust in and out of turbo done, intake into the turbo done. Sump tapped and fitting installed, hardline for oil return bent and installed. Has a gt crossmember, but I made the up and down pipes with some china headers.

intercooler piping and getting an oil feed made in braid to go, then few fuel projects, remount coils somewhere else and sort breather lines out.

[snip]...Now the 5 speed can be the fusible link in the system.

Blastplate the 5 speed, and you should be fine. I would count that as another 'may as well do it while everything's out' job.

Was boxkita running a 6spd on his race wagon? Maybe one of the race people know because all I've ever found online about the blast plates is "so and so is pushing 750hp with them" "butterfly cases flex" and "they don't do anything there's no way they could make a significant difference to any theoretical flex in the case design"

Never really found solid info on them either. Likely because most people racing just move to a 6spd and most people on the street don't run that much torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not just today, but over last few weeks, hour here and there been tinkering with my BL9.

n3kNbQX.jpg

IjDeJPW.jpg

exhaust in and out of turbo done, intake into the turbo done. Sump tapped and fitting installed, hardline for oil return bent and installed. Has a gt crossmember, but I made the up and down pipes with some china headers.

intercooler piping and getting an oil feed made in braid to go, then few fuel projects, remount coils somewhere else and sort breather lines out.

Took me a few looks to realize this is an NA-T build. Good stuff!

As for blast plates on a 5mt,

DSCN6633.thumb.JPG.4924193a74c740d81dbf7d38d39880b5.JPG

I love them, makes the 2nd to 3rd shift under WOT so much cleaner and easier. The tranny no longer fight's me going in to 3rd.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just finish taking the fabric off of some 2005 legacy gt front seats and put on my 2008 outback fabric on it. The 2005 seats were the last piece of finally getting my airbags to work after doing an 07 auto to 05 manual swap. Couldn’t give up my seats they are all black cloth while the 05 gt has that grey in the center of it.

pic is of just one side done

IMG_0284.thumb.jpg.abe1df15635d899855d9be05c318cfeb.jpg

Edited by Ninjacheezit

I've heard mixed messages on the blast plates. Any firsthand experience to share?

No firsthand experience. I 6sp swapped my WRX because I wanted the 5x114.5 wheel bearings and the gearing. But I was planning to do the blast plates on the OBXT whenever I had the transmission out to do the clutch.

Realized the motor I tore apart had a left side AT timing cover on it without the belt guide next to the pulley.... Ugh... Add it to my list of parts!

Oh anyone know where the thick cross member bushing goes? Right now I have it on the front bottom position.

Edited by B-BGTLimited

Yeah talking about these... There is one thick one which goes in the front, I think, since the bolts are long enough for the longer bushing sleeves. But I'm not sure if it goes on or top or the bottom. Logically I feel like it should be on the bottom. 4bb51dcf4e1bce9dde2654dc193fe6cb.jpg

Yeah talking about these... There is one thick one which goes in the front, I think, since the bolts are long enough for the longer bushing sleeves. But I'm not sure if it goes on or top or the bottom. Logically I feel like it should be on the bottom. 4bb51dcf4e1bce9dde2654dc193fe6cb.jpg

I think I used this post from NASIOC to help with that when I did mine.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555607

or from Peaty over at Scoobymods...

https://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/kb-transmission-crossmember-bushings-5861.html?t=5861

Latest and greatest: I had to change my front left Brembo. Due to thermal cycling, the seal on the caliper pooped the bed and out went all my brake fluid. I got a Rock Auto reman. So far so good. Brake pedal pressure is good. Also looking into getting the rear bumper stuff for the facelift. Does anybody know off hand what parts are needed to swap? Obligatory green caliper photo.

145929039_448936629593806_4987294956687202210_n.thumb.jpg.cb4bda46870acc9bae090787456f7859.jpg