LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Doesn't the instruction call for locking the reverse lockout cable on the tranny with a hex key? Not sure I want to let the cable just loose when I push the locking pin out of OEM reverse lockout.

I did it in my spec.B. The whole lockout swap took me 15 min. There’s a video on youtube I just don’t have the link handy. It’s the PSP-INR-250BK. Use a hex key or 5/32 long punch to tap pin out when in 3rd gear, leave punch in or hex key then put in reverse and pull out punch/key and swap. Mind you, I am on oem shifter but process shouldn’t be any different. I think...

Update I watched a few but I think this is the one I referred to.

Edited by luckybullitt

Took it out for a drive and should have taken video but the transmission has a slight whining sound like its supercharged or that built 5 speed with ppg gears. Just took it around the block several times, got up to 3rd gear and it shifts smoothly and engages normally. It just has that whine. I'm pretty sure it is fatigue and tired. Do chime in as I think it's time to get a new trans or upgrade to 6 speed? Thanks for all your guys input. It was running on e85 for almost 3 years maybe 2 and I did spirit driving 5 days a week on the stx71 (gtx3071r) and all supporting mods yadayada. It even has 5 speed transmission brace aka blast plates and group n mounts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I have that same whine from my transmission. For me, it started when I changed my dogbone to one with harder bushings. And other cars I've driven with aftermarket dogbone/engine/tranny mounts have exhibited the same whine. I think it's totally normal and the reason why those stock mounts are so soft - to absorb all the drivetrain noise.

When I was working in the dealerships we used Locktight 5900 and we used the slim tube with a calking gun contraption. It was a Mercedes special tool I got for around $30 from the parts counter.

I have it hanging on my peg board, I can grab the P/N later if anyone is interested. Again this is what we used in the dealerships, and from what I understand is the same product used in the factory just smaller tubes.

I use one of the battery powered caulk guns (milwaukee) but if you have other brands of battery. $49 for a ryobi etc

Took it out for a drive and should have taken video but the transmission has a slight whining sound like its supercharged or that built 5 speed with ppg gears. Just took it around the block several times, got up to 3rd gear and it shifts smoothly and engages normally. It just has that whine. I'm pretty sure it is fatigue and tired. Do chime in as I think it's time to get a new trans or upgrade to 6 speed? Thanks for all your guys input. It was running on e85 for almost 3 years maybe 2 and I did spirit driving 5 days a week on the stx71 (gtx3071r) and all supporting mods yadayada. It even has 5 speed transmission brace aka blast plates and group n mounts.

Join the club, my wagon's 5mt has been doing that for many many years. It's normal. Last July I had it rebuilt again. it still makes the same whine under acceleration. With the stiffer tranny bushings the decel noise has also increased. I have learned to put it in natural and coast downhills on the backroads or coming to a stop sign.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That decel noise was very apparent in my 07 when I was running the clutch master clutch. Once I switched back to the stock Exedy disc that noise went away. I attribute that to the stiffer hub springs. My 06 will have a WRX Exedy HD disc like my wife's Forester and that one is reasonably quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

That decel noise was very apparent in my 07 when I was running the clutch master clutch. Once I switched back to the stock Exedy disc that noise went away. I attribute that to the stiffer hub springs. My 06 will have a WRX Exedy HD disc like my wife's Forester and that one is reasonably quiet.

I've got quite a bit of noise on the stock exedy clutch. But I have group n everything and a single mass flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replaced my rear differential oil

I know bagged gear oil has been around for a few years from amsoil, but walmart has started carrying Valvoline bagged gear oil for $12. Not sure how long they've been selling it for, but I used it today and it worked great.

gearoil.thumb.jpg.1966eea563eb3a27c863a3da7883ec2b.jpg

I wonder if this is it, #112589002500. But everywhere I'm looking online sells it for over $100, I wonder if they gave techs a deal or something.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/dispensing-gun/112586002500/

That’s the one. I guess there was a big discount for technicians. As far as the other caulking guns go (electric ryobi) those are for construction size tubes, way bigger than the one I’m talking about. They do sell the tubes in that size, but you will waste 3/4 of the product at $100+ bucks a tube.

I've got quite a bit of noise on the stock exedy clutch. But I have group n everything and a single mass flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 from the factory is a single mass flywheel. I believe I only have a Group-N trans mount.. Nothing more on that car. The 06 will be single mass flywheel with Exedy HD clutch, Group-N engine mounts, Group-N trans mount, energy suspension poly cross member bushings and Perrin Pitch stop. I expect that car to be a bit noisy... LOL

07 from the factory is a single mass flywheel. I believe I only have a Group-N trans mount.. Nothing more on that car. The 06 will be single mass flywheel with Exedy HD clutch, Group-N engine mounts, Group-N trans mount, energy suspension poly cross member bushings and Perrin Pitch stop. I expect that car to be a bit noisy... LOL

Do that and add solid machined bushings for the shifter like I have :lol:

Decel is decently noisy at this point :-P

+1 here for noisy decel. spec.B 6MT with group N bushings + dogbone, Cobb STS and front/rear shifter bushings (still stock linkage bushings). As soon as I installed the STS and bushings was when I started hearing the transmission, especially on decel. Before that, I couldn't hear it at all.

Do that and add solid machined bushings for the shifter like I have [emoji38]

Decel is decently noisy at this point :-P

Dammit... That's another thing I still need to buy... LOL I'm getting a factory replacement shifter union tho, the shifter mount bushings themselves are already poly.

The wife saw my plating station and had to clean me up and get me organized LMAO... New tongs, gloves, crock pot for degreaser. She got worried when I told her about my muriatic acid rinse bucket was taking the hair off my wrist from pulling parts out of it. I thought it was diluted enough [emoji23]

She's a physics and physical science high school teacher... LOL

057198cbc2a98e6be81bc42b7512d309.jpg

Edited by B-BGTLimited

I've had all the upgraded mounts and dogbone but it's much louder like supercharger whining. I'll see if I can get a video up. The whining can be heard a half a block away for sure. It's been nearly a year since I drove it but I know it wasnt that loud before. I was used to the increased NVH but since its shifting and engaging normally...lol

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I'll be happy if it's just a supercharger whine sound... My previous attempt to use a clutch masters stage 1 organic on my 07 when I went Stg2 resulted in a rock crushing sound when in decel... This is why I swapped back to my factory Exedy clutch. Been running that clutch since probably 110k on the car, it's been at Stg2, 255whp/310tq from 170k to 260k and it's just starting to slip in 5th now.

I'm hoping the Exedy that I have for the 06, which I "think" is the HD model wont sound like the clutch masters one, I know my wife's forester doesn't, so that's hopeful.

I'll be happy if it's just a supercharger whine sound... My previous attempt to use a clutch masters stage 1 organic on my 07 when I went Stg2 resulted in a rock crushing sound when in decel... This is why I swapped back to my factory Exedy clutch. Been running that clutch since probably 110k on the car, it's been at Stg2, 255whp/310tq from 170k to 260k and it's just starting to slip in 5th now.

I'm hoping the Exedy that I have for the 06, which I "think" is the HD model wont sound like the clutch masters one, I know my wife's forester doesn't, so that's hopeful.

I noticed that swapping back to oem epdm exhaust hangers drastically reduced the decel noise from the transmission. I suspect it's because of the downpipe to transmission bolt that did it. I had poly hangers forever until recently. New rubber hangers has been great for the trans noises.

Exhaust to tranny...interesting

Yeah know, years back I didn't have connection made...I recall less decel noise.. back then...

Come on Spring time...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I noticed that swapping back to oem epdm exhaust hangers drastically reduced the decel noise from the transmission. I suspect it's because of the downpipe to transmission bolt that did it. I had poly hangers forever until recently. New rubber hangers has been great for the trans noises.

Are these the hangers at the mufflers? I don't recall rubber hangers near the downpipe... In any case I don't think I have any poly hangers.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

The Dp hard bolts to the support bracket which is bolted to the tranny on the tranny. Or dose it just hang on that bracket.

DSCN8147.thumb.JPG.007db1adf5ecfa3e8c859b871db5e2ec.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

The Dp hard bolts to the support bracket which is bolted to the tranny on the tranny. Or dose it just hang on that bracket.

[ATTACH]290088[/ATTACH]

It bolts, but now I'm wondering what happens if I use a rubber washer or similar...

It bolts, but now I'm wondering what happens if I use a rubber washer or similar...

I thought about it but wasn't sure how hot the DP is at that point for the rubber to survive. Also the vibrations from the exhaust system.

This got me thinking though, what if the washer isn't rubber but say couple of layers of exhaust wrap, it's thick and soft enough to dampen some of the exhaust to tranny noise transfer.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

[ATTACH]290088[/ATTACH]

Hangs on the bracket and then the bolt holds it in place. So both.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I thought about it but wasn't sure how hot the DP is at that point for the rubber to survive. Also the vibrations from the exhaust system.

This got me thinking though, what if the washer isn't rubber but say couple of layers of exhaust wrap, it's thick and soft enough to dampen some of the exhaust to tranny noise transfer.

I feel like all of this is a moot point if you're snugging a bolt down to hold it to the transmission bracket. Vibration will just travel through the metal/metal contact of the threads of the bolt with the captive nut on the bracket.