LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Wonder if this service bulletin addresses that transmission noise

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/SB-10093977-2280.pdf

That's news to me... I just replaced these bearings on my 06 since they were shot. Had to get a thinner shim to get the stackup back in tolerance but I did not know about that "dished" spacer they were adding in there. I'm running a 0.90mm washer now.

Edit* DAMN they want you to replace the whole extension housing as well with this new dished plate. Well, I'll just keep this in my back pocket for a repair option, I'm not doing it now that I just got the whole trans back together.

Edited by B-BGTLimited

Radwood could be cool.

Also if you have the race wagon long enough I'll try to bring it up at the next rally. I was hanging out with the Subaru motorsports social media director (works for vsc). He lives in Vegas and told me he used to have a 5mt lgt wagon. He or someone in his network might want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have his contact, you might contact sooner. The listing agent wants the shop empty so buyers can walk through. Storage is $300/mo.

Yesterday - two cars washes and cleaning both interiors, only vacuumed wife's car since nobody eats in my car.

Saturday - new hatch lift struts for my car, yay, no more hatch randomly falling on my head when its cold out.

getting hit by the hatch sucks. Where'd you get the new lifts?

I would not debate what you are hearing, I just don't remember my 5speed being that noisy when it was new is what I a referring to. But then again I have not driven my car in a long time, and my memory by be very rosy at this point.

My guess is that the wear after so many miles has affected the tolerances contributing to the noise, "modern" constant mesh gearboxes with cross-cut gears should not be all that noisy. Straight cut PPG gears that is another animal altogether.

My friends 4 speed Muncie that was a loud bastard, which was a 1950's designed transmission.

I'm sure the noise has to do with the smfw or lwfw and aftermarket clutch along with the stiff bushings. Just drove the wagon for the first time in 7 day's, there is no whine when your in a gear and give it a little throttle. But when your accelerating, the whine is there as well as when you lift off the throttle to coast.

Years back when I was picking the car up from the body shop, the first thing out of the guy's mouth when I walk in was, "that turbo is loud" you can really hear it spool. :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Made a list of all my mods and holy cow...quite the list.

I was used to the increased NVH with all the group n mounts, pitch stop, and blast plates along with other aftermarket bushings and the ACT HD clutch paired with streetlite flywheel. After driving it recently it is definitely 3-4x louder than I was used to. I'm just happy it still drives and alive i guess. Figured it was abnormal sounds. Lucky me, I have a supercharged and turbocharged leggy hahahaha

Carbon fiber duckbill spoiler

STI power steering rack914511050_Screenshot_20210222-171302_SamsungNotesAdd-ons.thumb.jpg.fd83219d54389465abca31ed7d29802c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

281290847_Screenshot_20210222-171237_SamsungNotesAdd-ons.thumb.jpg.37140192ee844e4807e5b3d768452cac.jpg

809593531_Screenshot_20210222-171309_SamsungNotesAdd-ons.thumb.jpg.6ba50dfebe9e6ee1b8f812d988b943b1.jpg

Edited by tocinoman25

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

RockAuto discount code to share....Cheers! :cool:

Code: 164365359150195931

Those are such a slap in the face.... They can be searched and retrieved from any coupon website and if you have an account login there is always a 5% coupon code available on your account activity page. The big slap part comes when they email you an "exclusive" code but it's still only for 5%... I mean come on if it's exclusive make it for 10% or something.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Had to battle a snapped bolt in the right head. It is the mounting location for one of the up pipe support brackets. This was fun drilling it out, since it is right next to / above the oil feed to the turbo and avcs. The bolt, was supper seized in there, because I used LH drill bits the whole time and it never wanted to start coming out. If there is anything I recommend, it is investing in a full set of taps. (buy them individually, it is more expensive but better quality). In the end it was no real issue with having the proper tools to drill out the bolt and clean up the threads with the proper taps. Thankfully it wasn't like a metric grade 10.9 bolt, otherwise I would have spent forever breaking a ton of drill bits.

(I eventually clued in and covered the breather ports on the valve cover)

IMG_2470.thumb.jpg.711a205249964f87ffa0a132a970305c.jpg

IMG_2467.thumb.jpg.75b2184f86f9ffbae7b12fc473b62d02.jpg

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

getting hit by the hatch sucks. Where'd you get the new lifts?

I bought them from Amazon.ca (I'm in Canada), StrongArm brand, 6222L and 6222R. It was cheaper to not buy them as a set for some reason. I saved about $30CAD buying separately (paid $80 shipped, the set was $111 shipped).

Had to battle a snapped bolt in the right head. It is the mounting location for one of the up pipe support brackets. This was fun drilling it out, since it is right next to / above the oil feed to the turbo and avcs. The bolt, was supper seized in there, because I used LH drill bits the whole time and it never wanted to start coming out. If there is anything I recommend, it is investing in a full set of taps. (buy them individually, it is more expensive but better quality). In the end it was no real issue with having the proper tools to drill out the bolt and clean up the threads with the proper taps. Thankfully it wasn't like a metric grade 10.9 bolt, otherwise I would have spent forever breaking a ton of drill bits.

(I eventually clued in and covered the breather ports on the valve cover)

i bot cutting oil and used cobalt drill bits. Pretty much buzzes through anything. Gave up on the LH bits as they rarely came out without a tap.

I was borrowing the LH bits from a friend. I figured I'd give them a shot but like you, I stick to good taps and good drill bits with some tap magic to keep things cool. I don't even try to use screw extractors (time wasters)

Steering Rack Rebuild

Second consecutive Tuesday I’ve scored on the f/s threads. My overdue interior refresh is picking up speed. I had door stripping from Msprank’s pristine spec b waiting, got some mats to replace worn out all-weathers for I swear half what they cost five years ago. Now waiting on snail mail to drop my Dbl Din dash w head unit and harnesses, been lost in the whiteout for about a week. Now I’ve found a score on used black carpet that was too good to pass up. Oh, not to mention a Cobb apv3 to wake sleeping beauty once she’s had a makeover. Almost glad the forum traffic has died down. Almost.

Turns out my amazon special tires started dying. Tread was becoming detached from the core on the inside. I only noticed because I got a flat and reached around to see if I could feel anything. Giant slit all the way exposing the wires. 3 out of my 4 tires were doing it.

So today was an expensive day. But now I have real tires not some crappy achilles or whatever garbage I had on it. I do know I paid $330 for all 4 of them so I knew they weren't great.

I have what sounds like an exhaust leak, and my wideband I think is lying to me. At idle it's reporting extremely lean, but my regular a/f is reporting fine according to my logs. Seems whenever the radiator fans kick on it sounds like I have an exhaust leak, but I can't source it. So today was a lot of wrenching and crawling around and finding power steering and oil leaks. Looks like I already have a lot of projects for the summer.

what kind of power steering leaks? Like rack leaks? If so, hang in there, I am about 15% of the way done in writing up a rack and pinion rebuild how to

It takes some time, but costs less than $30 in parts OE

Steering Rack Rebuild

I've been agonizing all week but I think it's time.

Working plan:

1. Strip subframes/drivetrain from Fjuan's sedan

2. strip subframes/drivetrain from race wagon

3. put Fjuan's sedan parts into race wagon

4. Scrap Fjuan's sedan

5. Strip subframes from my track wagon

6. mix & match race/track wagon parts

7. put race wagon on racing junk for cheap

8. commit sacrilege by driving race wagon parts on street

Working plan:

4. Scrap Fjuan's sedan

Sounds like fun, race car on the street = sleeper ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Working plan:

4. Scrap Fjuan's sedan

Unfortunately I didn't officially get his contact. It was cold and I was having a hard time thinking.

When you post it, if you're not a social media person, I can throw it on mine and promote it through my photography page. It's a business write off then lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what kind of power steering leaks? Like rack leaks? If so, hang in there, I am about 15% of the way done in writing up a rack and pinion rebuild how to

It takes some time, but costs less than $30 in parts OE

Yeah rack leaks. It's got 170,000 miles on it. it's time for a rebuild or replacement.

That would actually be awesome if you did write that up. I was toying with the idea of throwing in a 2015+ sti 13:1 rack, but i can't justify the cost at this time. I'd be all for rebuilding it.

Post-header, pre-wideband exhaust leak could cause that.

That's where it sounds like it's coming from, but i couldn't source it exactly. It was my thinking as well since the stock A/F sensor and all my logs are spot on. I'm going to buy some gaskets and pull the whole thing apart this weekend. Not looking forward to it but sometimes it's what needs to be done.

Yeah rack leaks. It's got 170,000 miles on it. it's time for a rebuild or replacement.

That would actually be awesome if you did write that up. I was toying with the idea of throwing in a 2015+ sti 13:1 rack, but i can't justify the cost at this time. I'd be all for rebuilding it.

Do the rebuild yourself... I went and bought a replacement rebuilt rack for my car and found out it was a slower ratio rack than what was in the 06 from the factory. I ended up using the gear and main shaft from my original and all of the seals from the new one. It was really annoying to have to take apart a freshly rebuilt rack because rebuilders don't realize the ratios are different.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Turns out my amazon special tires started dying. Tread was becoming detached from the core on the inside. I only noticed because I got a flat and reached around to see if I could feel anything. Giant slit all the way exposing the wires. 3 out of my 4 tires were doing it.

So today was an expensive day. But now I have real tires not some crappy achilles or whatever garbage I had on it. I do know I paid $330 for all 4 of them so I knew they weren't great.

I'd be curious to see pics, and maybe post them on over at bobistheoilguy with your permission. There's a guy named "capriracer" there and on some other forums that used to be a tire engineer, I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on the cause and such.