LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Alrighty fellas, I recorded video/sound clip of my transmission whining that i was concerned about. It's been almost 1 year since I driven it and driving my super quiet daily honda accord so all these sounds are new to me again hahaha. Send it? Normal sounds? It's got that supercharger whine. Thanks for your input bros! I definitely will keep the car for now because I still love her enough lol.

New transmission fluid and drained a little bit and the magnet looks good! Smooth shifts and engages like I remember. Fresh oil change. Shes happy again?

Whiny 5 speed subie transmission or normal NVH

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sounds more like a center diff.

then again gears with lots of wear sound similar.

can you update video with which gear you are in as well as rpm? Sounds like reverse gear at high rpm. 5mt should be straight cut in first/second like reverse but depends on year.

sounds more like a center diff.

then again gears with lots of wear sound similar.

can you update video with which gear you are in as well as rpm? Sounds like reverse gear at high rpm. 5mt should be straight cut in first/second like reverse but depends on year.

That's just 1st and 2nd gear driving around the block in gated community. Barely hitting throttle. 2008 drive it spirited daily on e85 with STX71 turbo, ELH, GS EWG, catless DP, q300, id1000s, dw65, 3 port ebcs, blast plates, group n mounts, bushings, ACT stage 2 clutch and flywheel etc etc

Leaning towards 6 speed swap. Waiting on member on here to see if he will ship spec B to me or if hes going to part out I believe I have dibs but that doesnt mean anything anymore these days lol

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Took a walk around mine parked in the garage yesterday, dreaming of driving it. Tried to fix some sagging insulation in my garage so now it's covered in a nice layer of dust and dirt. That's all. Come on warm weather.

Alrighty fellas, I recorded video/sound clip of my transmission whining that i was concerned about. [snip...]

Mine sounds like that, but not as bad. I'd say that if it feels normal, and if you have the funds to get the 6 speed, then just drive it until it breaks or gets worse. If it's a problem, it'll get worse. If it's not, it'll just be annoying. It's no Honda Accord that's for sure.

Alrighty fellas, I recorded video/sound clip of my transmission whining that i was concerned about. It's been almost 1 year since I driven it and driving my super quiet daily honda accord so all these sounds are new to me again hahaha. Send it? Normal sounds? It's got that supercharger whine. Thanks for your input bros! I definitely will keep the car for now because I still love her enough lol.

New transmission fluid and drained a little bit and the magnet looks good! Smooth shifts and engages like I remember. Fresh oil change. Shes happy again?

I'll add, mine has been a lot louder than that for many many years. Your exhaust is louder then mine, but mine is louder. As others have said, sounds like a supercharger whine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll add, mine has been a lot louder than that for many many years. Your exhaust is louder then mine, but mine is louder. As others have said, sounds like a supercharger whine.
I'm not sure if it is related but I'll share a personal experience. I installed the Group N pitching stop and picked up a very subtle gear noise. Nowhere near the level observed in the video. Mine likely would not come thru on a video. When this occurred, in my mind, it was attributed to the wear meshing over time with the softer and worn pitching stop. With the new stop the gears are wearing in a different position. I'm likely off on my assumption but I am not an engineer and I did not dig into the issue. I plan to change fluid at 1k post install.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Edited by norutah

Well we got snow so the LGT has been parked lol. Been driving the N/A 2013 legacy around with blozzacks. Started the legacy and the gaskets must have shrunk lol cause with only 2400 moles on the build there was a leak. I let it run and it stopped lol.

I have all white line swaybars and endlinks ready for install, might get coilover also. I have my jdm double din and all cables, amp, wiring kit and just need a sub, box, and head unit. Car will be about done.

Finally received my 02 WRX BBS wheels, looking forward to seeing a different wheel on my wagon after 16 years!

Are Mcgard Black spline lugs the way to go?

Anyone have suggestions on valve stems brand,steel vs rubber?

bbs.thumb.jpg.0963ecd074cd5fac76b82541112fca4a.jpg

Got my timing covers and gaskets in so I could install the timing belt and pulleys. Of course I found out that 3 of the center cover bolts are valve cover bolts that have a shorter step so they need to be replaced. And one of the side cover bolts is too short. Only sticks through the cover about 3 threads... (of course I already cleaned them and plated them before realizing).

I swear whomever built the previous engine must have just thrown all the bolts in a box and grabbed randomly when they put the heads on. As well as they must have used parts from an automatic car since the left rear cover didn't have the corner belt guide so I had to replace that as well. Right side inner was broke, front center was cracked, and left inner was for AT not MT... I just bought all new covers lol.

0575e73d0588bc62ae02fe330d6f2c3d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

With all these cars getting up in mileage sounds like there is a need for these things to have the transmission bearings replaced.

I wish I could do this for the community but I don’t have the space to take on something like this.

Trust me, is not bearing noise we're hearing. My 5mt only has a couple 1000 miles on it after another complete rebuild. Still sounds like a 1940's truck tranny. Shifts great though.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Trust me, is not bearing noise we're hearing. My 5mt only has a couple 1000 miles on it after another complete rebuild. Still sounds like a 1940's truck tranny. Shifts great though.

I would not debate what you are hearing, I just don't remember my 5speed being that noisy when it was new is what I a referring to. But then again I have not driven my car in a long time, and my memory by be very rosy at this point.

My guess is that the wear after so many miles has affected the tolerances contributing to the noise, "modern" constant mesh gearboxes with cross-cut gears should not be all that noisy. Straight cut PPG gears that is another animal altogether.

My friends 4 speed Muncie that was a loud bastard, which was a 1950's designed transmission.

if you replace all your bushings with high nvh, you'll hear more noise. Even with a brand new 5mt. You made an sti out of a lgt, the sti was super noisy brand new. It doesn't get better.

Turn up the radio, get a louder exhaust or just enjoy the mechanical symphony that is subaru. Track cars are noisy...just a fact of life.

If it really bothers you, put the car on a lift (jackstands if you don't value your life), turn it on, put it in gear, then use a stethoscope to test various areas under the car. Sitting on the pinch welds, the only noise dampener is the body mounts.

if the fluids are correct and there's no rubbing, then the parts are working as designed. You could have an early warning of failure so have three choices: drive it like race car until blows up then fix, or drive it like garage queen until blows up then fix, or fix as it's already blown up. I've always done the first... if its not on fire, keep your foot in it. ymmv.

if you replace all your bushings with high nvh, you'll hear more noise. Even with a brand new 5mt. You made an sti out of a lgt, the sti was super noisy brand new. It doesn't get better.

Turn up the radio, get a louder exhaust or just enjoy the mechanical symphony that is subaru. Track cars are noisy...just a fact of life.

If it really bothers you, put the car on a lift (jackstands if you don't value your life), turn it on, put it in gear, then use a stethoscope to test various areas under the car. Sitting on the pinch welds, the only noise dampener is the body mounts.

if the fluids are correct and there's no rubbing, then the parts are working as designed. You could have an early warning of failure so have three choices: drive it like race car until blows up then fix, or drive it like garage queen until blows up then fix, or fix as it's already blown up. I've always done the first... if its not on fire, keep your foot in it. ymmv.

I 100% agree with what you are saying considering I am replacing all my bushings with higher durometer bushings, so I expect more NVH, but I don't think this what some of the others were posting about. From what I gathered these are just older cars with a ton of miles and people are unsure what is normal for a mostly stock car. Sure some people have a pitch stop mount, and lowered suspension, but not full on race cars.

In any case good luck to you guys with these gearboxes, 200k miles is still good service life for any component in a car especially a transmission.

The bushings in the lgt didn't age well. Cars at 200k sound like beaters from the '70s. My wagon is at 130k. I last drove it summer 2019. The 5mt was replaced with factory new in fall 2013 and only had 1000 miles on it. First drive was incredibly noisy after driving decade newer cars. It gave me a headache in the beginning.

Uts been parked for two years waiting on some basic maintenance. I'd rather drive my ratty nissan hard body than the track wagon. Resale on the wagon isn't worth it. However the number of 5mt wagons continue to drop. In another decade, it should be a 1 of 10 car and might briefly sell for something near what I have in it...radwood?

The bushings in the lgt didn't age well. Cars at 200k sound like beaters from the '70s. My wagon is at 130k. I last drove it summer 2019. The 5mt was replaced with factory new in fall 2013 and only had 1000 miles on it. First drive was incredibly noisy after driving decade newer cars. It gave me a headache in the beginning.

Uts been parked for two years waiting on some basic maintenance. I'd rather drive my ratty nissan hard body than the track wagon. Resale on the wagon isn't worth it. However the number of 5mt wagons continue to drop. In another decade, it should be a 1 of 10 car and might briefly sell for something near what I have in it...radwood?

Radwood could be cool.

Also if you have the race wagon long enough I'll try to bring it up at the next rally. I was hanging out with the Subaru motorsports social media director (works for vsc). He lives in Vegas and told me he used to have a 5mt lgt wagon. He or someone in his network might want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled the connector from my DRL module.

Installed HiD low beams.

Took car to dealer for airbag recall and oil change.

Tech installed a $9 lug nut from right rear that was missing for some reason.

Replaced Christmas tree pins that hold air snorkel down since they were missing.

Drove around. Listened to wooshy boost noises. Smiled a lot.