LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

12 hours ago, KZJonny said:

I see this lasting 3.4 days before you let that pickup roll off a cliff and go get a fast car again.

You're disappointed that one of the harder to find colours (05 only?) isn't currently available with your preference in transmission and updates?!! ;)

I'll keep my eyes open in case there is a garage find in Canada for you!

if im going to drive a wagon again , i want a nice one.  Mrs Boxkita is really hammering on me to sell the 86 and buy another Tacoma. The stadium truck feel was fun for awhile until I realized I was more in love with the "no work required before driving" experience than the actual truck.

10 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Right. I've seen Taco fans on youtube arguing that for that price, might as well buy a Tundra! Not that much price diff.

I’ve seen people rationalizing paying a little more and getting a Rivian R1T too.

On 4/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, boxkita said:

Someone has to have one languishing in their garage...

My grandma bought an 05, that exact color and transmission combo, back in '78. Grandpa didn't like it. Dad snuck it out for prom and I was conceived in the back. 

After that, Grandma or Dad couldn't drive it for fear of girls throwing underwear at it in downtown. They threw it in Grandpa's garage after he passed as a form of sticking it to him after he passed from colon covid in '93. 

Anyway, Uncle Jimmy has been starting it weekly just to keep the fluids solid. He says he'll restore it one day, but the HOA won't let him own tools after last year's fireworks mishap. 

If you've got the extra set of keys for it, it's yours for $seventeen thirty dollars. 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Haha 2

Anyone ever come across a pattern replica for our front brake dust sheilds? I am striking out.

I'm good to pay OE prices when it matters, but seriously? $60 USD for a little slip of stamped metal.... I mean.. C'mon...

I suppose I could look at other models that have the same knuckles (which I am likely to replace with some Dorman units, becuase half the price.... Or maybe freshen up some scrapyard parts.) but I guess only GTs would have sheilds large enough to accomodate our relatively large rotors...

Ugh.

23 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Anyone ever come across a pattern replica for our front brake dust sheilds? I am striking out.

I'm good to pay OE prices when it matters, but seriously? $60 USD for a little slip of stamped metal.... I mean.. C'mon...

I suppose I could look at other models that have the same knuckles (which I am likely to replace with some Dorman units, becuase half the price.... Or maybe freshen up some scrapyard parts.) but I guess only GTs would have sheilds large enough to accomodate our relatively large rotors...

Ugh.

What about 2004 WRX STi? It has 5x100 pattern and the rotors have to be at least as big, most likely bigger.

19 minutes ago, WRX USA said:

What about 2004 WRX STi? It has 5x100 pattern and the rotors have to be at least as big, most likely bigger.

It's the bolt pattern to match the hub that will probably work/not work... BUT the '04 STi part is $25 vs. $62, so it definitely seems like it's worth having a further look into it.

Thanks for that. Maybe we get lucky and it's the same as the $15 STi rad mounts vs. the $50 LGT rad mounts?

Not the same part number for hubs from Rockauto... but the difference might not be all that big? Is it worth the $25 gamble?

Edited by KZJonny

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Ugh.

Believe it or not, I probably have a set...

41 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

Believe it or not, I probably have a set...

Let me guess…

Just hanging out in the garage doing nothin’ ?

If by any chance you ARE coming to the ECM, there will be a box of parts for me in that beautiful white wagon. ;)

If not, I’ll see a about having said box shipped to my NY mailbox.

How do the knuckles look? If the answer is ‘better than 20 year old rust belt ones’ then put my name on those as well.

Edited by KZJonny

11 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I could use the rear brake dust shields badly and ones that fit with the rear Brembo conversion preferably. Any recommendations there from you pros?

Pretty sure that’s only a JDM “Tuned by STi”/S402 OEM part because the rear suspension is completely different than Impreza.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I could use the rear brake dust shields badly and ones that fit with the rear Brembo conversion preferably. Any recommendations there from you pros?

51 minutes ago, WRX USA said:

Pretty sure that’s only a JDM “Tuned by STi”/S402 OEM part because the rear suspension is completely different than Impreza.

I can't remember where or who but there was a post here and a reply by me. The post was something like the 04 sti rear brake setup is the same as the jdm Legacy but the 04 setup needs to be machined down by 1-2mm to accept our hub.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:38 PM, Turbomister2 said:

@Kojak @Febreze Mee

I was going to take my motor and suspension parts and install it but the kid sold it from under me. So I’m hoping someone’s saving it and not parting it out to double the money 

Damn, I sure hope so too. Too nice to just parts it out. Looks almost like twin of my RBP. Were those CT plates ?

Edited by SubOperator

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

1 hour ago, rhino6303 said:

I can't remember where or who but there was a post here and a reply by me. The post was something like the 04 sti rear brake setup is the same as the jdm Legacy but the 04 setup needs to be machined down by 1-2mm to accept our hub.

Found it. It's 05 sti and 7mm depth. I bumped the thread with the information. I'd love someone to try this as it would really make full brembo swaps easy.

13 hours ago, KZJonny said:

It's the bolt pattern to match the hub that will probably work/not work... BUT the '04 STi part is $25 vs. $62, so it definitely seems like it's worth having a further look into it.

Thanks for that. Maybe we get lucky and it's the same as the $15 STi rad mounts vs. the $50 LGT rad mounts?

Not the same part number for hubs from Rockauto... but the difference might not be all that big? Is it worth the $25 gamble?

'04 STis use the same 5x100 bolt pattern. It's why swapping front rotors and calipers (with an acceptable bracket) is so easy. 

The only difference, that I can imagine, between the STi vs LGT front dust shields would be obviously the larger diameter STi shields, and a larger opening for Brembo calipers. Don't quote me though. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

My car is finished! Sort of.

I actually started it on Sunday, and was greeted by a rough idle. Found some connections that I forgot to tighten or didn't tighten enough and it improved. Since I'm on a 12 day work streak I didn't have a chance to touch the car again until tonight.

Giving the plastic drain on the AOS another spin and tightening up the rocker cover breather hoses seems to have eliminated the rough idle. However it's not perfect. I'm just glad to be rid of the garbage PCV.

What I am finding is that a problem that existed when I first got the car running again is still present, but improved. I think I have a vacuum leak, or something mechanically is wrong with the vacuum system. If you just tap the throttle from idle, you'll feel a shudder between 800-1100 rpm. Same goes for holding it in those ranges. Then it clears right up.

If you rail on the car, it actually performs better. BUT, you can hear a high pitched sputtering sound under heavy boost. According to btssm I'm hitting 18.4psi, but I'm fairly confident we only ever tuned for 17. Or maybe it was 19? Who knows.

All I know is that something is off. In this process I've removed the PCV valve system, replaced most of the vacuum lines, turbo inlet, intercooler to TB hose, BPV and intercooler gaskets. I found one hell of a clog inside the OEM crossover pipe that connects the rocker cover breathers. I chopped it up so I could still use it to secure the main wiring harness.

My LV is an improvement but we're maxing out fuel correction on hard pulls and getting highly inconsistent knock correction. I even managed to generate a misfire on a WOT pull. I've attached screenshots I took while running tests on my private track in my backyard.

My mechanical brain is telling me that the issue is with a moving part. A leaking BPV makes sense but I can't confirm.

In the mean time I will be getting it home and driving easy. I'm likely going to purchase tools to check for vacuum and boost leaks. If that checks out then I'll start throwing parts at it.

On a positive note, the clutch and trans are like butter. I can't believe how much of a difference replacing my shifter components made. That combined with rack bushings means it handles like a new car now.

BtSsm_LV_20240501_2152.png

Screenshot_20240501_214333_BtSsm.jpg

Edited by alex0856
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

'04 STis use the same 5x100 bolt pattern. It's why swapping front rotors and calipers (with an acceptable bracket) is so easy. 

The only difference, that I can imagine, between the STi vs LGT front dust shields would be obviously the larger diameter STi shields, and a larger opening for Brembo calipers. Don't quote me though. 

Sorry, I realize I wasnt being clear.

I meant the bolt pattern on the other side of the hub/dust sheild. The two hubs look similar from the photos on Rockauto, but there is just enough of a difference in shape that the bolt holes for the fasteners between the knuckles and the hubs might not be in the same places.

This should presumably be an easy fix provided they're not out by a mile. It's thin metal and should be easy to widen the holes to accomodate.

The STi rotors are bigger, so yeah, presumably the sheils would be too, by a little, but they aren't enormously bigger, and I really sort of doubt it would look too funny. If you really just want some dust sheilds that aren't 70% rust, it's probably a great thing to try out.

Turns out @Infosecdad is a hero and has a set available, so I am going to go that route instead. I played guinea pig with the STi rad mounts forever ago, and don't mind spending money to find a thing out, but in this case, I might as well just replace knuckes +sheilds all at the same time with nice units instead of messing around one peice at a time. My calipers could use a coat of black paint as well.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infosecdad said:

I don't see that.  Maxing out fuel correction is +-15, you are within +-5, which is quite good.

It may take more time/driving for the correction to move further away from 0.

Oops, I posted that when I was falling asleep. I added a screenshot I took after doing some runs on my private race track. There were a few fuel correction and knock events but surprisingly nothing hit the LV. I saw that FKC gauge max out just by tapping the accelerator at 70mph in 5th. But at WOT it would be at 0.

Edited by alex0856
  • Like 1