LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

More pic bomb

We built, tuned and maintained a "fleet" of local race Subies.  3 time SOLO champion on a stock long block with 100k on the clock when she went.  Blew the engine going for the 4th.  Built a motor and Key drove to victory for the 4th championship.  WOOT!

race.jpg

dyno.jpg

evans.jpg

solo.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, m sprank said:

One more

Cant resist sharing.  Long story to how the customer was able to get this past the California DMV.  But he is my HERO for it.  Way cool dude. 

rjb.jpg

I might try to get this plate in my state. I work in It and I know the ladies that work in that department and one of my good friends is high up in that department. lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Incomplete log.  Would be interesting to see what happens as rpm climbs above 4500.  Stock MAP sensor?  No wideband?  Disclaimer, I am not a professional tuner, but the log looks to me like a tune that at my shop we might refer to as "kill mode". 

I realize that is is almost always better to work with a local tuner than attempt remote tuning on big builds.  Bill Knose performed 90+% of the tunes on my dyno.   Bill would usually be considered a bit reserved when it comes to tunes for street cars.  We share many of the same mindsets when it comes to "playing" with others money.  Bill tunes all types of cars, but specializes in Subarus.  They are what he has driven himself since the late 90's.  You can check out his website here: https://www.delicioustuning.com/

Bills first BIG break into Subaru tuning was with Crawford Performance and Ken Block.  Bill tuned the Gymkhana 1 car for Ken and MANY more BIG name Subies:  https://www.delicioustuning.com/portfolio

I was lucky enough to work with some of the BEST. 

JR / Prime Motoring did all the tuning on the dyno. I would never have done all the tuning remotely with my build. I have a wideband in the car as well. I should've noted that I clipped the beginning / end of the log. Attach the full one now. More info below responding to @xt2005bonbonas well.

45 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Just looked at your log. Peak of 3.72 g/rev for your calculated load. That's pretty high. I reach about 3.2 max on a good day (cool intake temps) with the VF52 JMP. Some of your AF learned fuel trims were quite positive (i.e. running lean). Were you running ethanol at the time? Maybe not, since I see 'ethanol final' content of 13%. That means ~E10 or pump gas no?

Also, I don't recall seeing AVCS angles set that high (30+deg) under boost. Mine are set to peak at 10 deg. Which heads are you running and remind us the block? Sorry can't remember all the details 😕

@xt2005bonbonSo this log was taken from my original motor not the currently built one. I was sending logs back and forth with the tuner to figure out my issue which ended up being the NSS. Once I swapped it out, I performed this 3rd gear pull to show them I was able to reach full boost. I was still on the 5MT tune but the car was already 6MT swapped at the time of this log. Based on the tuner's strategy, it was required to get a re-tune which could indicate those values you're seeing. I'm no expert at reading logs but would love additional insight. 

Yes - I ran E60-E65 winter blend. I was preparing the car for another round of FF tuning, so I had to bring the ethanol final down between E10-E15 before they could tune for pump 93. 

@m sprankWas this a kill mode tune, perhaps. I'm not sure if JR holds back on his tuning but I did let him know I wasn't chasing numbers and I wanted to protect the stock block at the time. 

datalog39_5MT_Stock Block.csv

Pix of a meet we held at AAA Speed Way.  Street legal drag days!  We had over 25 LGT's show up!!!  I am, of course under the white LGT working on an up pipe leak (installed by another shop).  The REAL INFAMOUS1 is walking past me.  RIP.

meet 1.JPG

meet 2.JPG

meet 3.JPG

meet 4.JPG

meet 5.JPG

meet 6.JPG

meet 7.JPG

meet 8.JPG

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 3

My first meet on returning to CA.  Was the first time I met Shamar in person.  It was the first time he was able to ride in a car he had remote tuned as I drove it from NYC to CA.  Dale, the OG - @SBT set up this meet and was the drive coordinator.  I miss Dale!  I miss Shamar too, but that is a far longer and infinity more complicated story. 

Reminiscing over, I bombed the thread enough. 

drive1.jpg

drive2.jpg

drive3.jpg

drive4.jpg

drive5.jpg

drive6.jpg

drive7.jpg

drive8.jpg

drive9.JPG

drive10.jpg

drive11.JPG

drive12.JPG

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Care to elaborate? Me curious..

Close to maxxing out MAF and MAP.  Lot of advanced timing under boost (makes power, but generates heat).  Running towards what appears to be 12afr (no wideband logged and OEM is not a wideband).  General conditions that catch my eye knowing how uncertain the engines can be.  Different strokes for different folks.  There is more than one way to make power.  At my shop we took a very technical and scientific path when tuning.  Taking into consideration engine dynamics, operation, theory, etc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, m sprank said:

My first meet on returning to CA.  Was the first time I met Shamar in person.  It was the first time he was able to ride in a car he had remote tuned as I drove it from NYC to CA.  Dale, the OG - SBT up this meet and was the drive coordinator.  I miss Dale!  I miss Shamar too, but that is a far longer and infinity more complicated story.

Reminiscing over, I bombed the thread enough.

drive4.jpg

drive6.jpg

These are great, share away. I think I'll see if there's interest in an East Coast meetup...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

1 minute ago, Enlight said:

These are great, share away. I think I'll see if there's interest in an East Coast meetup...

This idea got kicked around before, and I was hopeful. If it does move along a bit, for the sake of the handful of Canadians on the board, at least *consider* having it somewhere reasonably accessable to the GTA/St Lawrence Corridor...? plz!

• Like 1

That seems to be the problem today.  Members are too far apart.  Every area used to have their own local meets.  So Cal, Tri-State, Mid-Atlantic, etc.  I was lucky enough to hit meets in several areas.

But if someone actually organizes a meet within say a 4 hour drive of my home.  I am in.  I know a local LGT owner I might be able to drag along. 

Edited by m sprank

4 minutes ago, m sprank said:

That seems to be the problem today.  Members are too far apart.  Every area used to have their own local meets.  So Cal, Tri-State, Mid-Atlantic, etc.  I was lucky enough to hit meets in several areas.

But if someone actually organizes a meet within say a 4 hour drive of my home.  I am in.  I know a local LGT owner I might be able to drag along. 

I assume So Cal is southern California... The others?? 😉

Anyway. I would be drive a half day or so?? I don't know how far that gets me into America?

Hmm Google says Philadephia is ~ under 7 hours... Not so bad.

Are there are good places for a little twisty road action (+ camping?) somewhere in the general middle to north parts of the eastern half of the country?

• Like 1

Alright everyone, official east coast meetup planning thread is HERE, chime in! Twisty road action + camping is exactly what I had in mind. Vermont and New Hampshire is closer to you and has excellent roads. Good roads around Philly too, Brandywine Valley is beautiful. W. Virginia also has great roads.

LegacyGT.com East Coast Meetup

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

38 minutes ago, Code said:

Nice photos.  M sprank

does the spider pig still exist? 

It does.  It has been sitting in Max driveway for years.  Engine was weak when it was parked.  Max has talked about selling it, parting it, fixing it...  I suppose if I was still local to him, I would have built an engine by now.  When it was built, it was a bad ass LGT.

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, m sprank said:

Rick, I can help with the BRZ, when you finally buy one.  Took care of Abbates car for two seasons working with Bill.  Also built this monster for show.  Parked her next to a RARE complete original Porsche I did some work on as well. 

Wow so many awesome pictures and throwbacks to names I haven't heard in many years.

If/when I get the BRZ I'll definitely reach out! I'm 2nd in line at my nearest dealer when orders open back up. Just hoping I can find a domestically civil way to make it happen. :lol:

• Like 1

I have had intermittent operation in my 2009 NA Legacy Wagon for a couple of days and finally got it towed to the dealership where they are burning through $149 per hour trying to find out what is wrong.  They had replaced the ECU in 2015 and that appeared to fix things but now I keep getting sudden stoppages in traffic and failures to start with codes for the auto transmission control unit, P0700 and P1718.  I got a call back from the service rep saying they are seeing the things I am seeing like operation sometimes but not all the time and are tracing things with an oscilloscope to see where they are losing communication but they are totally lost.  They asked me to authorize two more hours, so I did, but this may be the end of this car.

The lower left ball joint in my Miata went on January 2, so I have one immobile car in the driveway and the Subaru at the shop.

• Confused 1

Did a few things recently (not all today, sorry).

FIRST, I replaced the driver side fuel level sending unit.  FINALLY my gauge reads correctly.  I've been tracking the odo and filling at 200 miles just to be cautious.

SECOND, I modified my phone mount to make it more user friendly.  I can just plop it in and the USB connects, then pull it out when done.  And since the holder now has a magnetic attachment I can hold the phone in my hand and still keep the USB connected.

mount2.thumb.jpg.fb2b27ab9d04df39c62d85169f8a44b8.jpg

mount1.thumb.jpg.e6d27ff85133f267ef68836062a4bddc.jpg

Finally, I added a spoiler to my spoiler so I can downforce while I downforce.

spoiler.thumb.jpg.58f2e0573dc297b54b42ad2b16b008fe.jpg

😆 Stays on at highway speeds and everything.  Started as a joke with a buddy, but I think I'll leave it on a while.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, amptramp said:

I have had intermittent operation in my 2009 NA Legacy Wagon for a couple of days and finally got it towed to the dealership where they are burning through $149 per hour trying to find out what is wrong.  They had replaced the ECU in 2015 and that appeared to fix things but now I keep getting sudden stoppages in traffic and failures to start with codes for the auto transmission control unit, P0700 and P1718.  I got a call back from the service rep saying they are seeing the things I am seeing like operation sometimes but not all the time and are tracing things with an oscilloscope to see where they are losing communication but they are totally lost.  They asked me to authorize two more hours, so I did, but this may be the end of this car.

The lower left ball joint in my Miata went on January 2, so I have one immobile car in the driveway and the Subaru at the shop.

Sounds like a pesky gremlin for sure. Sucks.. hope they get to the bottom of it without too many more of your dollars. 

11 minutes ago, SilentJ20 said:

SECOND, I modified my phone mount to make it more user friendly.  I can just plop it in and the USB connects, then pull it out when done.  And since the holder now has a magnetic attachment I can hold the phone in my hand and still keep the USB connected.

That phone mount is slick! Did you drill through your double DIN faceplate to mount it? Lol at the spoiler spoiler

24 minutes ago, SilentJ20 said:

Did a few things recently (not all today, sorry).

FIRST, I replaced the driver side fuel level sending unit.  FINALLY my gauge reads correctly.  I've been tracking the odo and filling at 200 miles just to be cautious.

Finally, I added a spoiler to my spoiler so I can downforce while I downforce.

spoiler.thumb.jpg.58f2e0573dc297b54b42ad2b16b008fe.jpg

😆 Stays on at highway speeds and everything.  Started as a joke with a buddy, but I think I'll leave it on a while.

I like it lol, it needs to be one of those upside down wings you see on a Senna.

46 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Sounds like a pesky gremlin for sure. Sucks.. hope they get to the bottom of it without too many more of your dollars. 

That phone mount is slick! Did you drill through your double DIN faceplate to mount it? Lol at the spoiler spoiler

Thanks! The phone mount attaches to the faceplate using 3M Velcro Command Strips.  It holds strong and will be completely removable.

• Like 2