LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I think my Legacy is still on the original wheel bearings? Only 90k miles though. I know I did the front bearings and axles on my OBXT, but I don’t think I ever touched them on the LGT. 

I don’t automatically assume anything off eBay must be junk but there are some things that I wouldn’t try if it were a pain to do it twice. Wheel bearings aren’t too bad if you’re not dealing with a ton of rust, which I’m assuming you’re not with only 27k on them. 

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Looks great - glad you have it back! I missed the story of the pistons failing on the dyno - were they the original stock pistons?

Yep, stock pistons. Original untouched motor @ 44k on the dyno being tuned. On 93, the car on it's final pull made 440whp. After that pull the motor shut off and would not turn over. Prime Motoring took it apart and found pistons 1 and 3 with crown damage. 

• Sad 1

Oh I antiseize everything on this car. And it is mostly a rust free chassis. Should take 45mn to replace that wheel bearing. 

No engine in the rear but I carry lots of stuff consistently. Easily 150 lbs I'd say. And usually road tripping with an additional tongue weight of at least 200 lbs (bike racks and bikes). Still no wheel bearing failures.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cheeseenlo said:

Yep, stock pistons. Original untouched motor @ 44k on the dyno being tuned. On 93, the car on it's final pull made 440whp. After that pull the motor shut off and would not turn over. Prime Motoring took it apart and found pistons 1 and 3 with crown damage. 

Ouch! But 440whp on 93 octane with your 1.5xtr?! That’s wild. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Underdog said:

Ouch! But 440whp on 93 octane with your 1.5xtr?! That’s wild. 

Its the dyno. You can make a LOT of power with a 1.5xtr.  I love the turbos.  But 440whp sounds like an aggressive dynojet operator.  REAL 440whp takes e85 and is about all you can make with the 1.5xtr and a stock engine. We pushed to about 415whp and called it for the sake of not experiencing the results of damaged internals with customers engines.  I took pride in breaking hearts with my dyno.  But my cars destroyed on track.  Trap speeds are a very good indicator of power.

• Like 5

Only ever been on Mustang dynos so the difference isn’t intuitive to me, but having experienced a few 1.5xtr’s (including my own) I was surprised to see that number on 93 octane. Sorry that it ended catastrophically for you cheeseenlo! 

When I had my car tuned last I asked for a target boost of 20-21PSI and conservative timing through the midrange. I’m sure that left some on the table, along with other design choices I made, but we ask a lot from pump gas and it’s no fun when it goes wrong.

• Thanks 1

Did some suspension and wheel swapping between the wagons last week.

The blue wagon got the Bilstein coilovers back and the bigger wheels. I miss the Bilstein's on my white wagon, but the Konis sit almost an inch lower on the blue wagon for some reason and it was too low for my son.

IMG_9729.thumb.jpg.232393e2b443de436858b986d763599e.jpg

Today I had to troubleshoot the blue wagon, continuous misfire on Cyl 3 which was making me worried.

Decided to try swapping the coil with one of my OEM spares and that thankfully cleared it right up.

The white wagon gets the Konis w/ STi pinks on the front and King Outback lowering springs on the rear that sit almost perfectly in height for me, and the Rotas.

IMG_9730.thumb.jpg.e76bb22bc9c5c56299c809097a90aec1.jpg

She really needs a bath, but every time I'm about to do it; we get another wave of freezing wet weather.

Maybe some time later this year I'll find a set of coilovers for the white wagon, but my older daughter is now engaged and I likely have a wedding near the end of the year to pay for.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Underdog said:

Only ever been on Mustang dynos so the difference isn’t intuitive to me, but having experienced a few 1.5xtr’s (including my own) I was surprised to see that number on 93 octane. Sorry that it ended catastrophically for you cheeseenlo! 

When I had my car tuned last I asked for a target boost of 20-21PSI and conservative timing through the midrange. I’m sure that left some on the table, along with other design choices I made, but we ask a lot from pump gas and it’s no fun when it goes wrong.

Never a good time when thing go boom. Even worse when its someone else's dime.  Limiting to 21psi on a stock block is not a bad practice.  

No pix to share. 

• Like 2

Put my RCE Tarmacs on that I’ve had sitting for way too long. Night and day difference over the previous BC BR w/ swift spring. Highly recommended I am very satisfied with these. Can’t wait for the first track day of the year! Just need to raise the back up a smidge and get a new alignment/corner balance. 

A96BE8A5-8466-45E4-A6FF-715CCFD3F7E0.jpeg

B216C48D-8D41-4C29-A8B1-3577740F4A97.jpeg

B17A089A-D19C-447F-A3C4-12AAEF608D98.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:45 PM, m sprank said:

Its the dyno. You can make a LOT of power with a 1.5xtr.  I love the turbos.  But 440whp sounds like an aggressive dynojet operator.  REAL 440whp takes e85 and is about all you can make with the 1.5xtr and a stock engine. We pushed to about 415whp and called it for the sake of not experiencing the results of damaged internals with customers engines.  I took pride in breaking hearts with my dyno.  But my cars destroyed on track.  Trap speeds are a very good indicator of power.

100% @m sprank

Some background - previously on the 5-speed, with pump 93 this same tuner got the car at 398hp/355tq. After my 6-speed swap hence the re-tune on the dyno the car made 440hp right before the failure. I was quite surprised with the gain which I questioned the tuner. His response was the resolution and loading between the 5 vs 6 speed is fundamentally the reason why the car is seeing more power with the same mods. 

Unfortunately, the car couldn't get tuned on E85 with the 6-speed but previously on the 5-speed, it made 478hp/423tq. Based on the previous tune, I was told that the MAF scaling was near it's limit which he had to dial back to keep things safe. The recommendation at the time was going SD and a quality FMIC for more power. I was running the GS intake and TMIC. But I wasn't chasing numbers. This time around, he definitely gave it the sauce since previously he kept things more linear and gradual to preserve my 5-speed. So this may or may not have been the cause of the failure. The tune was pushing the stock internals pretty hard and I believe the failure would've been inevitable even if it was detuned. 

On 1/28/2023 at 2:01 PM, Underdog said:

@UnderdogThis tuner (JR) is well known, tuning for several other shops including Six Star and Killer B. I wouldn't question his ability but definitely gave it the beans this time around.

The dyno at Prime Motoring is also a Mustang, I'm not sure of their correction factor or other variables that might contribute their setup to be high or low reading. But the boost target was kept at 20-21psi. From what I was told, this was consistent between the 5 vs 6 speed tune. The feedback from JR (after it blew up) was that my car made all the power he was asking based on the tune. It was literally the last pull before they began E85 turning. 

Edited by cheeseenlo
Multi-quote added
  • Like 1

With that being said...  LOL at those numbers.  All are VERY inflated.  Your intake amd top mount do not support those power levels.  It can be mathematically proven with a log.  I always told customers not to get butt hurt over numbers.  Its just ego.  It all comes down to smiles per miles. Is the customer extatic with the performance of their car?  If so, F the numbers.  

Dont know JR.  Bill and Steve tuned on my dyno.  Bill tuned for Ken Block, RIP.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:14 PM, Infosecdad said:

The blue wagon got the Bilstein coilovers back and the bigger wheels. I miss the Bilstein's on my white wagon, but the Konis sit almost an inch lower on the blue wagon for some reason and it was too low for my son.

….

The white wagon gets the Konis w/ STi pinks on the front and King Outback lowering springs on the rear that sit almost perfectly in height for me, and the Rotas.

Those Bilstines are actually valved to run as low as the Konis, you just need to replace the springs with the original pink ones in the front.

The rear has enough adjustment you can run the longer ones there.

Also I seem to remember the clip on #3 breaking at some point. I think I replaced that one, but you might want to clean up the contacts as they probably had some moisture at some point.

• Thanks 1

I've also been experiencing a Cyl #3 misfire. After lots of diagnosing, I am exhausted and will be buying a reman long block. I bought a motor from a buddy, sight unseen and unknown mileage, a week ago. Mind you, before I had even suspected I might need it.  Tore it down last night to find the head I do need has a broken camshaft. Head gaskets were blown and scouring on all the cylinder walls. I cant complain since it was only $100. And I now have extra injectors and sensors. Another friend is able to use the driver's side head, so it worked out.

In the mean time, I'm bringing my other 2.5i into operation and getting it back to roadworthy conditions in the latter half of this week. One unreliable car + another unreliable car = one reliable car right.

My subi group photo:

Throwback to when I brought the black wagon home from Portland, only to absorb the gold car in all aspects. 47E47108-B915-4A31-B9C6-BF866E952653.thumb.jpeg.be158fc1883d2424d853280af5484e49.jpeg

• Like 5

MILKRUN  - Click Here

On 1/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, cheeseenlo said:

No noticeable change in driving characteristics so far with the IAG 700 long block w/ GSC S1 cams.

That's quite a block! I see that they usually come with GSC Stage 2 cams, did you opt for Stage 1 for drivability?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

14 hours ago, m sprank said:

With that being said...  LOL at those numbers.  All are VERY inflated.  Your intake amd top mount do not support those power levels.  It can be mathematically proven with a log.  I always told customers not to get butt hurt over numbers.  Its just ego.  It all comes down to smiles per miles. Is the customer extatic with the performance of their car?  If so, F the numbers.  

You got this right! When I saw 398hp/355tq on 93 I was like Horse Sh*T. I went way overboard with my build, fuel system, gt25 turbo, pump, parts and even more. The day of my protune, I would have sent it hard but the tuner was like you want ti to last and I was like yes lol. You would have to stress that block to get close to those numbers, and it would not last long. I am also looking at going STI 6MT after I do my STI brakes, and  was told I would not have to worry about a retune with the trans swap. I hope you get thing going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enlight said:

That's quite a block! I see that they usually come with GSC Stage 2 cams, did you opt for Stage 1 for drivability?

Yes - long story short, I was planning on doing just the Stage 2.5 short block from IAG. However, not knowing what the failure was at the time, it was unclear if the heads / valvetrain would be salvageable condition. This was right before Thanksgiving so I had to jump on their holiday / BF / CM deals when I had the chance. If I factored in new head castings with Prime's recommended valve train components, it wasn't far off from just getting the 700 long block from IAG. 

Yes - GSC S1 for drivability and based on Prime's recommendation it would suit the turbo better as well. 

15 hours ago, m sprank said:

Yes - the key is smiles per miles. Like I said, I wasn't chasing numbers but I was looking for a streetable performance. I did miss the instant response / hit of the VF46. The 1.5XTR pulled hard but wasn't reaching full boost until near 4000-4100 on the 5-speed. Where have you seen these turbos reach full boost?

32 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

You got this right! When I saw 398hp/355tq on 93 I was like Horse Sh*T. I went way overboard with my build, fuel system, gt25 turbo, pump, parts and even more. The day of my protune, I would have sent it hard but the tuner was like you want ti to last and I was like yes lol. You would have to stress that block to get close to those numbers, and it would not last long. I am also looking at going STI 6MT after I do my STI brakes, and  was told I would not have to worry about a retune with the trans swap. I hope you get thing going.

Hey! My build isn't a slouch either. At the time, I was running 1300x injectors, IAG rails, AEM 340 pump, parallel -6AN fuel lines w/ Aeromotive FPR. Turbo is a 10cm setup for EWG w/ Turbosmart 40mm wastegate, Cobb catted downpipe, Killer B holy headers and up-pipe. The only thing I haven't done is iWire's hardwired pump kit. I plan on also including Radium hanger before my re-tune takes place after break-in. 

• Thanks 1

Mods list is off the top of my head, but it was a "package" we liked.  Car was an STi.  I specifically remember the customer coming back the day after picking up the car (it was our Toys for Tots drive).  He brought lots of toys.  I warned him to be careful on the drive home as he would need to get used to the power and delivery especially with the new tires (we did suspensions and power on the car all at once while the customer was deployed on a "pack").  He did not heed my warning and pulled a 6-4 downshift on the way home.  All 4 tires lit up and he did the Hokey Pokey as he turned himself around, but avoided the K rails and straightened her out.   

25psi on e69 - boost and power limited for stock block.  409whp, 414wtq on my Mustang.  Tune by Bill Knose.

Stock block

1.5xtr 10cm hotside with internal gate

KS Tech 73mm intake

AVO inlet tube

ETS FMIC

Turbosmart BPV

ID1000cc injectors

DW300c pump

Delicious Flex Fuel kit

KillerB Holy Headers/up pipe

Cobb Catted DP

Cobb CBE