LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

15 minutes ago, Code said:

It’s the front LSD that make a sti 6mt so good (aside from strength/durability) 

the diff makes the car handle so much better

I will say, my Spec B comes off a corner much better than my wagon. Even with the wagons Koni's set near firm, there's a feeling that the car is more planted in the Spec when exiting a curve under power. 

I will also add, the Koni's (with Epic springs) took almost all the body roll out of the wagon when in the curve. There is a difference in body roll between the two cars, the Spec B, stock suspension, has more body roll.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I did track prep for this weekend's trip to Roebling, while I was under there I sprayed liquid film on the rusty bits. Have a new RA block, timing set and gasket set sitting in the garage for when she's finally done which will be soon cuz I ain't wasting a timing set on an engine with 203000 miles on it. Still need to order clutch stuff and oil pump, already have catch cans and iag baffle and pickup. Have a machine shop lined up for the head refresh, will do the disassembly/reassembly myself,not skeered. :) 

PXL_20220723_185243075.jpg

Edited by TonyF
  • Like 4

Actually on Monday, but since the wonderful Governor here banned r134a for regular folks I had two coworkers that had the hook ups from traveling friends, and got the A/C Pro r134a and recharged my A/C.

From the gauge on the canister it was just at the bottom of the green zone and I charged it to ~40.

For the last year it was just barely putting out cool air, but now it's a bit too chilly!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

On 7/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, amptramp said:

This has been a futile few days.  For the last two oil changes, I have used Amsoil oil filters and they are great, certainly better than the NAPA Wix filters that I can use everywhere else but they unscrew themselves on a Subaru because the engine vibration rotates about a vertical axis and the filter mounts vertically, so Wix is out even though it is the filter I go with for everything else.

I've used the Wix and Napa Wix filters for years on NA and Turbo Subarus with no problems.

I still do about 3/4 of a turn when the gasket meets the mating surface for filter tightness.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

3 hours ago, Smithcraft said:

Actually on Monday, but since the wonderful Governor here banned r134a for regular folks I had two coworkers that had the hook ups from traveling friends, and got the A/C Pro r134a and recharged my A/C.

From the gauge on the canister it was just at the bottom of the green zone and I charged it to ~40.

For the last year it was just barely putting out cool air, but now it's a bit too chilly!

Why did he ban r134a for regular folk?

Picked up the car from Rallispec and HOLY CRAP...I may have made the wrong move going with a twin disc clutch (XClutch). The shop said this was the first one they've installed and it drove great along with it sounding way better than Exedy or ACT. I'm hoping I get used to it quick or I'm going to really reconsider swapping back to a single disc.

However, the good news is that drivetrain felt great once moving and in gear. I won't know how well the helical LSD changes the driving characteristics until I get to push the car. Since I had all the SpecB arms and bushings installed at the same time, the car felt tight from my quick test drive. Rallispec / Dave and team did a great job, they took care of me and the car. They mentioned it was probably the nicest one, well put together example they've worked on so that made my day! 

I'll be posting up my 5MT drivetrain shortly. Who wants a low mileage (44k) full drivetrain? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheeseenlo said:

Picked up the car from Rallispec and HOLY CRAP...I may have made the wrong move going with a twin disc clutch (XClutch). The shop said this was the first one they've installed and it drove great along with it sounding way better than Exedy or ACT. I'm hoping I get used to it quick or I'm going to really reconsider swapping back to a single disc.

However, the good news is that drivetrain felt great once moving and in gear. I won't know how well the helical LSD changes the driving characteristics until I get to push the car. Since I had all the SpecB arms and bushings installed at the same time, the car felt tight from my quick test drive. Rallispec / Dave and team did a great job, they took care of me and the car. They mentioned it was probably the nicest one, well put together example they've worked on so that made my day! 

I'll be posting up my 5MT drivetrain shortly. Who wants a low mileage (44k) full drivetrain? 

Why did you do a twin disk? I really don't hear many people going this route.

just an FYI grimmspeed will not just sell you a silicone coupler, you have to send them proof you own the TMIC, a picture of your car with it on. 🙄 I mean I was like take my money. I needed the throttle body hose because I have a small tear in the top part and I think that is the problem with it popping off under boost. Plus I got the kit used off here, and they said parts just get old and warn.

Getting my nameless 3 inch pipes put on, paired with my fujitsubo mufflers. this should sound so good. can't wait.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NORULZleggy said:

Why did you do a twin disk? I really don't hear many people going this route.

Do it once kind of idea. If the path for more power comes in the future, I wouldn't have to worry about the clutch again.

The cost moving to the twin disk wasn't huge and what was appealing to me was that two full face organic disks would give me streetable characteristics with double the holding capacity power-wise. Clamp load is tricky because I've read that it would be softer than a super aggressive single disc but it also depends on the design of the diaphragm. I actually spoke to IAG about this clutch and they responded by saying - That might be my favorite street clutch out there. The pedal is super light and it holds over 700ft lbs of torque and drives super nice. You can't ask ask for a better clutch!

I'll need more seat time for sure but initial impression is this will be difficult to street drive. I stalled it like 5 times in a row and felt like a total noob at the shop. Once I got home nerves settled and by myself, I didn't stall it once. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

Why did he ban r134a for regular folk?

Fluorocarbons are bad!

Surprisingly enough they haven't banned them in Oregon, and of course Idaho don't care.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

4 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

just an FYI grimmspeed will not just sell you a silicone coupler, you have to send them proof you own the TMIC, a picture of your car with it on. 🙄 I mean I was like take my money. I needed the throttle body hose because I have a small tear in the top part and I think that is the problem with it popping off under boost. Plus I got the kit used off here, and they said parts just get old and warn.

Getting my nameless 3 inch pipes put on, paired with my fujitsubo mufflers. this should sound so good. can't wait.

I think RallyArmor also won't sell you parts unless you have proof of purchase. 

I don't have proof of purchase, the mudflaps came with the car when I bought it!

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

9 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

I had to get a random piece of silicone hose for my air intake. Shop in Portland actually stocked such things.

https://rallitek.com/

I would call and ask to see if they have what you need and if they can ship it. 

On 7/4/2022 at 12:54 AM, pksystems said:

291357636_3199235300297231_3101924142005892165_n.thumb.jpg.2b89710ed0fd66ac9bde0566f09404e4.jpg

Picked up another 17Z 6-piston Brembo off a Touareg at PickNPull. Now I have have set for the Legacy. Not bad for $14 each.

Also ordered a Tactrix openport cable.

I strongly recommend that you buy the BtSsm app to log or just have a digital dash. You just need a USB dongle for your smartphone.

I use it on trackday to log and follow the coolant temperature, engine oil / 5eat

You can see my smartphone with BtSsm in trackday in this video:

IMG_9238.JPG

• Like 4

Yesterday and today took off my rusted out mufflers and mid-pipe/resonator and downpipe and replaced with Invidia catted dp, nameless mid and y pipe and fujitsubo wagolis mufflers.  Sounds pretty good, getting a tune tomorrow and can actually get on the "slightly louder" pedal.

• Like 3

I just learned of this r134a ban in WA last weekend when attempting to recharge my ladies' A/C. I was immediately agitated to say the least. So so stupid.

I seafoam'd through the TB last weekend, followed the instructions on the can after watching a Chris Fix vid on a non Subaru. Oil was good post treatment. About 60mi later, I check the dipstick, only to find no oil, and my heart dropped. I cancelled all of my weekend's plans to prep for an emergency engine swap, as I thought I was on borrowed time. I was to leave for California for a couple weeks in 7 days (in Cali now), and I couldn't decide if I wanted to swap then or wait the three weeks until I was to return. After a few more baby trips/errands around town, and several more dipstick-checks, I found my oil consumption dwindling little by little. I thought "what an anomaly, but I'm not in the clear." I suspected the seafoam to be the catalyst, but I wasn't sure what happened. "Did I wash the oil from the rings, and cause premature wear to them causing oil to slip by and burn at 1QT/60mi? What happened?" After running into another legacy owner on the road and discussing my woes the same day I suspected the seafoam theory, he mentioned that seafoam might contain a lot of detergents, which I quickly put together as the exact reason I was burning so much oil so quickly. An oil analysis from Black Stone Labs showed 12ppm of iron in my oil, and if the rings are cast iron in the EJ253, then that confirms my suspected worn ring problem that the car has had for the last 100k miles at 1QT/450mi. AND IF it is a ring problem the detergents may have thinned the oil further causing excessive burning until I burned most of the seafoam-oil off which would explain why I was beginning to get my mileage back before having to add another QT of oil I've put 300mi on the car since seafoaming. 

I also replaced the PS pump o-ring up top, it didn't need to be, but now it definitely doesn't need to be.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

The R134 is definitely a kick in the teeth, but I understand why it might have been done. I'm sure many here know but r134 is known to find a way out of the system easily since it is considered to be a small molecule. Plus the fact that the EPA doesn't people to just 'top up' a known leaky system; here we are. 

If I may get on my soap box for a second, I really wish that enforcement of emissions standards was not only leveraged on a handful of states trying to 'make up for' the others that don't enforce them. Meaning it is less painful and has the greater potential for good if everyone does a little versus a few states absolutely punishing its citizens. I know the argument is 'well just move to another state', which I did, but it is so lopsided and can't be productive. Given what has been happening with the aftermarket in the last few years (i.e. Cobb) I think we enthusiast would rather have a healthy aftermarket and have some higher registration fees or surcharge on premium gas for our sports cars, if everyone else who drives a minivan and Prius would actually change their oil once in a while. 

Sorry for the rant, as someone who as lived in 5 states now, it has become apparent to me we are much less the United States and more of a "Hey, mind your own business pal" States of America. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cheeseenlo said:

What were the steps involved? In terms of feel, what changed?

Use the CL-22 page of the FSM. It's easy and adjusts your the height of your clutch pedal from released to depressed; turbo cars should have a difference of 5.31"-5.51".

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:46 PM, GearJamr said:

Yesterday and today took off my rusted out mufflers and mid-pipe/resonator and downpipe and replaced with Invidia catted dp, nameless mid and y pipe and fujitsubo wagolis mufflers.  Sounds pretty good, getting a tune tomorrow and can actually get on the "slightly louder" pedal.

Nice

Bye Bye LaminX.  Just about 2 years on brand new depot lights and the film got cloudy and useless. I grabbed a corner and it pulled off pretty easily. It of course left a hefty amount of very tacky adhesive. I went with trusty Goo Gone and they cleaned right up with a but of elbow grease and my thumb nail. 

20220731_160257.jpg

20220802_181626.jpg

20220802_183242.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Sold me on LaminX! Next time I have new headlights, I'll be using this

Not sure I would do it again. I have a set for my new Ram in the toolbox and they will not be going on that. 

Next up is figure out why my traction control and ABS lights are coming on. No codes presently. I guess I can check for codes with it running and when the lights are on. They come and go, which doesn't bother me so much but the cruise not working when they are on sucks, especially with some highway time coming up next week.  This started just after wheel bearing install. 

Edited by whitexc

13 hours ago, whitexc said:

Bye Bye LaminX.  Just about 2 years on brand new depot lights and the film got cloudy and useless. I grabbed a corner and it pulled off pretty easily. It of course left a hefty amount of very tacky adhesive. I went with trusty Goo Gone and they cleaned right up with a but of elbow grease and my thumb nail. 

20220731_160257.jpg

20220802_181626.jpg

So after only two years that $65.00 film cover failed ?  Have you spoken to the manufacture about it ? I thought that stuff was supposed to be great ?

Or is it something to do with the aftermarket lights ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here