LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

New look...gonna have to get used to this. Thanks for keeping this going!

I had to hunt down my build thread since it is no longer linked in my signature. Also bummer none of my past post's attached pictures ported over to the new server :(

In other news, I have a gas leak. I am going to start with the replacement of the gasket for the fuel pump assembly because it appears to be seeping out from there just after filling up the tank. Not super concerning but when I saw fluid on the plastic tray under the tank (also under the brake hard line union) I thought it might have been brake fluid, but nope just fuel.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

1 hour ago, jaylew said:

I had to hunt down my build thread since it is no longer linked in my signature. Also bummer none of my past post's attached pictures ported over to the new server :(

In other news, I have a gas leak. I am going to start with the replacement of the gasket for the fuel pump assembly because it appears to be seeping out from there just after filling up the tank. Not super concerning but when I saw fluid on the plastic tray under the tank (also under the brake hard line union) I thought it might have been brake fluid, but nope just fuel.

Please take the time to find those photos if they don't repopulate on their own over time!

Your rebuild/repair thread was so useful. For myself to be sure, and probably other. I need to swap out my steering rack, and will be rebuilding my original one, and had planned to use your walk-through for that as well as a guide.

Hopefully many of the older threads aren't lost for good.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Your rebuild/repair thread was so useful. For myself to be sure, and probably other. I need to swap out my steering rack, and will be rebuilding my original one, and had planned to use your walk-through for that as well as a guide.

Thanks! That means a lot to hear. It was partly for my own documenting but knowing at least someone got use out of my rambling makes me happy! As for the rack rebuild, I have some updates on that post (not the process) so make sure to read that.

Steering Rack Rebuild

3 hours ago, jaylew said:

That's where my tank leaked. It was the seam that gave me issues. Obviously got a new tank. Not cheap, but was a necessity. Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scottydunno said:

That's where my tank leaked. It was the seam that gave me issues. Obviously got a new tank. Not cheap, but was a necessity. Good luck! 

Oh I hope not a new take for just that. The old gasket on the OD of the metal clamp is so dry it was just breaking away. The metal looks shiny and new where some of the old gasket has already broken away. I have removed the tank before so not end of the world (I'd be able to replace all the vacuum lines that I should have replaced last time I pulled the tank)

Steering Rack Rebuild

5 hours ago, cheeseenlo said:

@SubOperatorHow was your experience with them? 

Front end desk is different from car guys in the back. Make sure you specify all options exactly as you want as front desk will not know any better, and when the shop gets to do the actual work things are already in motion.

I think they did a good job mechanically. One thing I wish I did was to replace the STI gears to LGT gears. I declined based on the cost during quoting and ended up having to pay for 2 new STI gears. Got used to different gearing but still.

I would use them again no problem.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

6 hours ago, jaylew said:

Oh I hope not a new take for just that. The old gasket on the OD of the metal clamp is so dry it was just breaking away. The metal looks shiny and new where some of the old gasket has already broken away. I have removed the tank before so not end of the world (I'd be able to replace all the vacuum lines that I should have replaced last time I pulled the tank)

Welp, then I hope it's as simple as that! Let us know what's up..

On 7/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, SubOperator said:

Front end desk is different from car guys in the back. Make sure you specify all options exactly as you want as front desk will not know any better, and when the shop gets to do the actual work things are already in motion.

I think they did a good job mechanically. One thing I wish I did was to replace the STI gears to LGT gears. I declined based on the cost during quoting and ended up having to pay for 2 new STI gears. Got used to different gearing but still.

I would use them again no problem.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the disconnect. We had to clarify on a few things at drop off. Hopefully they don’t miss anything.

I’m doing a decent amount of work there. 6MT swap, SpecB aluminum suspension arms and Brembo conversion. 

The open diff is getting replaced with a helical unit. Rear diff is getting taken apart for REM treatment to the ring and pinion. Previous owner already had the transmission gears REM treated. 

If anyone is interested in a full 5MT drivetrain, please let me know. Low mileage at 44k with lots of upgraded parts. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:42 AM, jaylew said:

When you take the cover off take a look at the fuel pump housing as well. I had a crack in the flange and protruding hose connect and that was where my leak was coming from. I also used Permatex's fuel resistant sealant on the gasket.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

On 7/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, JF1GG29 said:

Pulled my Curt hitch (was scraping on driveways).

Same with OEM hitch on my wagon.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Woohoo, new site!  Good to be back..

My wagon has been sitting for about a week, but I'll be taking it out later.

My most imminent repair will be replacing the rear upper control arms.  They sound terrible, and my mechanic said the rubber bushings are disintegrated and it's basically metal on metal.  Have new arms and hardware going on hopefully this week.

• Like 3

Not today, but on Saturday I finally replaced my plugs and coil boots. Approximately 1 year and 30k overdue, I'm still trying to find the best and fastest method of replacing them. At this point I use a ⅝ plug socket with an 1½" ⅜ drive extension with a slim ⅜ ratchet with another 1½" extension. Believe it or not, the 2 - 1½" extensions are shorter than a single 3" one! 

Car runs even better now. And now onto my P0457 issues... 

• Like 1

Started pulling my rack to throw in a second hand one that doesn’t leak.

Of course, it’s probably original, so every fastener is fighting to stay put. Got out the chinese-made bolt buster and convinced them otherways. I really wish I’d bought one of these sooner. I can’t imagine how much money I could’ve saved on thread inserts and broken fasteners.

Discovered a front inner axle seal is leaking now, and *maybe* the diff plug?

This is now a multi day project. Old cars. It never ends…

• Like 1

Finished up one of my TGV deletes.  I might smooth out the bottom a bit more if I pick up some smaller flap discs.  These TGV's are off a WRX, so they are top feed.  I'm going to pickup top feed injectors and fuel rail out of a newer STi, so I can install everything quicker.  I think the Legacy intake manifold will bolt up to these?  If not, I'll be doing another set of deletes. 😜

I am toying with the idea of flaring the OEM fuel rail, so I can use braided lines and get rid of that mess of rubber hose and clamps.

Ordered an STi brake master cylinder.

293735202_2342828962550767_3868828292825597833_n.jpg

Edited by pksystems
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, jaylew said:

Is there a top feed injector that doesn't require tuning right off the hop when going away from the side feed? I plan to do something similar in upgrading the LGT fuel rail and system to newer WRX top feed

No. The scalar, latency and pulelsewidth is different for them. You'd be able to start and such but the car would run very poor.

• Like 1

Tried to install my Torque Solutions battery hold down. Wouldn’t you know it, the stock hold down bolts sit flush with the hold down opening. Sigh. Always something. Gonna look in the scrap bins at work to get some scrap round stock and make some that work….

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo