LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

I've had to replace most of the wiper fluid hoses from the pump thru the fender, rear hatch under the wing and under the hood. It all turned into a gummy mess and split. Using some silicon based hose now. Was happy to see a different material used after it goes inside the cabin.

Had an issue last year up in Idaho. Fluid I had in there was not the low temp version. So it froze like a rock. To remedy this I poured in some 70% isopropyl and ran it thru while I was driving back to Cali.

Edited by kzr750r1

2 minutes ago, kzr750r1 said:

I've had to replace most of the wiper fluid hoses from the pump thru the fender, rear hatch under the wing and under the hood. It all turned into a gummy mess and split. Using some silicon based hose now. Was happy to see a different material used after it goes inside the cabin.

First time I hear someone changing these hoses.

As for me, in the process of replacing my cracked Invidia uppipe on the 06. Been 6+ years. About time :spin:

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Haha 1

Not sure why the heavy degradation. Found out there are to pumps. Front and Rear.

First it was the lines under the hood.

Next was pump line one under the fender.

Then finally the unit under the wing and rear fender pump feed.

Surely the isopropyl didn't help. But the heat out here likely didn't either. 

On 2/8/2023 at 5:29 AM, xt2005bonbon said:

Ah OK. So you initially did have zero mm of clearance.

I said I caught mine 'early' but I know I did drive with the misfire issue for way more than 1000 miles. How is your car behaving now? Do you use BtSsm to keep an eye on things? If yes, how is the misfire count at idle on that cylinder?

Correct.

Car is misfiring intermittently. I don't have the BtSsm app, let alone a device I could run it on. The MIL hasn't rapidly flashed at me in several weeks (hundreds of miles) indicating there is a high misfire count. I'm still daily driving it. I'll be parking it next Thursday until the end of the month. I ordered a new motor last Monday, and will go and pick it up in Spokane Easter weekend.

As for the washer fluid hoses, I have also changed those out. I just removed/cleaned the jet nozzles, under the hood, in December. Waiting for a warmer day to replace my washer fluid tank with a newer unit with less crap at the bottom to clog up my lines/nozzles.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Oil Change on the 2.5i.

Been having to top up oil a lot more lately, so took a peek around.

Some dry coolant on the bottom of the head gasket, and the rack is covered in engine oil.

Hooray for head gasket replacement time!!

At least I don't have oil in the coolant, or vice versa, so it seems like it's just an exterior leak at the moment. Of course, it's March and it's a combination of rain and snow right now, so I guess I'll pile up all the parts and get ready to pull the engine as soon as the weather turns a little.

Just can't catch a break sometimes.

• Haha 1

I've been stripping spare parts today off of my spare motor, and prepping them for paint tomorrow.

This evening I reassembled my spare motor to send off as a core when the new one is picked up.

I got a call yesterday that the new motor is finished being assembled and ready for pick up. I'm pushing the pick-up date to the left, and either myself or a good friend will be going over to Spokane to pick it up. Easter weekend will be "swap weekend."

Now it's time to start ordering the other parts. KB pick up and baffle, Defi triple gauge set for single DIN, new rubber hoses everywhere on the engine, a catch can for the PCV system. Super excited!

• Like 5

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Transmission shop has my car again. They managed to screw up the NEW radiator ATF lines.

Found a leak under the fender well.

Upon inspection found worm gear AND spring clamps on the hard line???????

Worm gear installed so tight it has rubber squished out!

The main guy had some BS about they had bad luck with spring clamps.... Bla Bla BLa... 

Well it they didn't leak when I brought it in and they were brand new!

This is why I have a hard time with other people working on my stuff.

• Sad 1

Yeah.

Makes you question what else they skipped inside the transmission!

Probably could have fixed it by pulling cutting them back but FFS. :spin:

After spending a large sum to get this far I'm holding them accountable.

I was trying to give them the benefit of doubt it was a sloppy cleanup.

Hosed out the area prior to taking it back. But no. It's a leak.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Received the car back the next day. Asked for the hose clamps back. Cause I noticed they just attached the worm gear clamps again to the hard line. Started to go on about how they were leaking at the radiator too... First I hear that part of that so going to believe this is BS.

I mentioned your $1 hose clamps are going to trump subaru's engineers because of your experience?

My reply was they weren't leaking when I brought it in!

So I was just expecting two spring clamps to be returned.

Then a shop monkey came from the back and handed him six more.... So now I have their crappy worm gears on all the hoses... Awesome!

Never going back unless there is a major failure in the warranty period.

I'll be getting a thermostat and trans cooler in the near future. So at that point will replace all the hoses and their stupid hose clamps.

Edited by kzr750r1

That’s annoying. Is your plan to get new spring clamps for all the hoses, or re-use the ones you had on there?

I ask mainly because while I also don’t much care for screw clamps, the climate here eats spring steel clamps plenty fast, so I’ve switched over to mainly stainless steel Fuel injection style band clamps for everything.

Just wondering if I’m doing myself a disservice them. I could just never be asked to go get more spring clamps from the dealer…

Edited by KZJonny

18 hours ago, kzr750r1 said:

Received the car back the next day. Asked for the hose clamps back. Cause I noticed they just attached the worm gear clamps again to the hard line. Started to go on about how they were leaking at the radiator too... First I hear that part of that so going to believe this is BS.

I mentioned your $1 hose clamps are going to trump subaru's engineers because of your experience?

My reply was they weren't leaking when I brought it in!

So I was just expecting two spring clamps to be returned.

Then a shop monkey came from the back and handed him six more.... So now I have their crappy worm gears on all the hoses... Awesome!

Never going back unless there is a major failure in the warranty period.

I'll be getting a thermostat and trans cooler in the near future. So at that point will replace all the hoses and their stupid hose clamps.

What a joke! 😡😡😡

Likely put the spring clamps back in service.

If they leak will go with the pressed gear type.

Sleeve type don't normally go down this far in OD. 

Poking around this weekend and confirmed. Yep... 8 POS hose clamps were installed.

Changed the intake air filter. Spritzed the MAF. Put the second Turkeylord stainless T on the vacuum line to feed the fuel regulator. Shortened the feed line a little bit. Added some Techron fuel system cleaner in a fresh tank. Rotated tires. Need to replace in the next few months.

Been eyeballing Enkei Raijan 18x8 +45 with Michelin 245/45 Pilot Sport All Season 4 mounted.

Remember I'm not lowered on LGT struts. With no intention to do so.

Question.

Can BTSM work with a Cobb married ECU? Learning tables are pulling fuel right now with this revision of the tune.

Still a little rough until the group N motor mounts heat soak. Car likes to stall unless fully warmed up. Namely backing out of the driveway. This sucks and screwing my average gas mileage numbers per tank. Plus it's the daughter unit driving it more lately to work and school. We live on a busy street so stalling backing out of the driveway ot at the light is somthing I'd hope she can avoid.

Looking for a better way to isolate what is happening.

I don't want to keep chucking parts at it until needed.

We need to find her a nice civic and keep it stock. :)

Edited by kzr750r1

Not yet. Just curious if it's worth the time to invest reading into it more.

Will look into it some more. I don't have android hardware to play with so there is also a bit of an investment involved.

6 hours ago, kzr750r1 said:

Question.

Can BTSM work with a Cobb married ECU? Learning tables are pulling fuel right now with this revision of the tune.

Yes, totally works.  I have both (but not using either right now).

Note that I couldn't use them both at the same time.

However, I ran a Y cable on the end of my OBD2 port, just for convenience.  I left the OBD2 plug of the Cobb always plugged in, and unplugged it at the hand held unit.  Then I had a dangling OBD2 off the Y that I could plug the BTSSM into.  Basically moving the port to a slightly more convenient location and not having to swap plugs.

• Like 1

With this revision all three A B and C seem to be settling at -7.10. Curious how that will change once the weather warms back up.... Were not that cold right now. Kiddo took off with the car.

I need to go get some gutter down pipe extensions. Couple locations water is pooing into my crawl space! GTG!

Started a thread in the Tuning section. I'll keep my BS about the running stability over there for the most part. Mike is right and how I feel right now. I need more data to solve why this car is acting like this.

Had a stop at the American River Confluence on my way from El Dorado to Forrest Hills.

You can see the mud wash from the burn scar after the forrest hills fire this last summer.

This is really high. Old Auburn-Forrest hills road was closed at this time so I had to head up to Auburn to go over the bridge to Forrest Hills.

No snow up at Moms house any more. All washed away by the recent rains.

3_15_23_ARconfluance.jpg

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through some recent posts I guess I should fix my passenger windshield squirter. I'll try a needle first to see if clogged.  Always the little things pins us off the most,  just like those clamps

I am about to install the JDM folding mirrors on two cars :spin: . But on one of them, I may kill 2 or 3 birds at once: install mirrors+install new dash+new heater core+airbag recall. Any suggestions on a good heater core? I see plenty of no brand ones on ebay. Curious about longevity..

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 1

Was just pricing the dash again and got hit will a surprise from PG&E.

Considering that my brake booster is compromised.

Noting Lean AFR and High AF Leaning 1 numbers immediately while depressing the pedal.

So tells me there may be a crack in the diaphragm. Normal static tests it passes.

Have a thread looking for ideas in Tuning. Curious if any of you see the same while monitoring AFR and short term AF learning trims?

Don't even need to be driving. Just at idle in the driveway. Monitor these two above and press the brakes? Stable or large swings?

Would explain why my stumble is getting worse every year.

Time for a MC rebuild as well while I'm at it.

Edited by kzr750r1