LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

I have answers for you but I am camping right now 🙂. Here is a pic though to reassure you of ground clearance and stuff. I adjusted the preload some more on my rear springs a little. may need some more preloads still. I love this rack! I can now drive fast on dirt road and bumpy stuff no problem! Nothing moves!

I'll provide additional details later.

PXL_20221013_233708255.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  1. what size hitch receiver?

^ I have a 2" receiver. I hate the fact that it is designed so low on our platform. The EDM market has one that sits a little higher and is bolted where the rear crash bar is secured. I've been wanting to get one to increase departure angle.

1. how does the tail not wag the dog with all the bikes leveraged off like that?

On the picture I originally posted, the rack was lowered so I could access the trunk and also easily load/unload the bikes. What's nice about this rack is that it has a couple of struts to slowly and safely lower the rack. Very neat. The latest picture shows how the rack is in its normal position.

1. how do you pay attention to the road when the bike$$$ are wobbling side to side in the rear view mirror?

That's the thing: they do not wobble!! They are firmly seated on the rack. The manufacturer provides a few rubber straps which you can use to engage the front and rear bike brakes on long road trips. Additionally, the rack does not wobble at all on the hitch as it has its proprietary tool to tighten it inside the hitch. Lastly, I added a couple of retractable ratchet straps (you may see them on the last pic I posted). They are permanently mounted on the rack. I hook them on the roof rails to provide some relieve on the hitch, so the weight is a little better distributed and as a result, we get ZERO wobbling around.

1. why does the iwire make it run better? better = smoother?

Over time, the wire connections at the MAF get ever so slightly loose that it is messing up MAF reading, particularly the ground wires. As a result, engine response is not that great due to some wonky AF corrections. I confirmed the issue several times by wiggling the MAF wiring harness close to the MAF with the engine running. Was seeing immediate AF corrections each time I touched the wires. So I went ahead and replaced the MAF connector and wires with an iwire kit. Now, everything is stable again and response is back.

1. how are you not freaking out about the ground clearance of the lowest bike tire? (and i see the curb, still that decent angle is practically nill!)

As you can see on the pic, ground clearance is not bad at all. Obviously, departure angle suffers.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, xt2005bonbon said:
  1. why does the iwire make it run better? better = smoother?

Over time, the wire connections at the MAF get ever so slightly loose that it is messing up MAF reading, particularly the ground wires. As a result, engine response is not that great due to some wonky AF corrections. I confirmed the issue several times by wiggling the MAF wiring harness close to the MAF with the engine running. Was seeing immediate AF corrections each time I touched the wires. So I went ahead and replaced the MAF connector and wires with an iwire kit. Now, everything is stable again and response is back.

I've never considered this! Thank you for posting this, and I'll now be looking into this. 

On the other hand, I have an intermittent PO420 code, and this is after swapping O2 sensors, I'm beginning to think it's my catalytic converter. The car has 170K miles on it, and has been steadily consuming 1QT of oil every 500mi. I believe all of the oil burning is causing my O2 sensors to fail, and also accelerating the demise of my catalytic converter.

Thoughts?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

It is a lot! The SB was replaced early on it the car's life by the PO at a Subaru Dealership bc of the same concerns. Either the rings are worn again, or the valve train needs some attention.

I'll have to look into monitoring systems again. It's been awhile since I've read up on the Tactrix cables and BTSSM app.  

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the wagon game.

Was able to fly out to Sacramento and drive home a very nice 08 XT that was listed for sale by Kelvrick. Was a pleasant drive home of 500+miles and clear skies. Car handled great since it has a good amount of suspension upgrades on feal coilovers too.

PXL_20221116_194406219.jpg

PXL_20221116_215424768.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, s2baru said:

Back in the wagon game.

Was able to fly out to Sacramento and drive home a very nice 08 XT that was listed for sale by Kelvrick. Was a pleasant drive home of 500+miles and clear skies. Car handled great since it has a good amount of suspension upgrades on feal coilovers too.

PXL_20221116_194406219.jpg

PXL_20221116_215424768.jpg

How many Subarus do you own now? :spin: She does look good. Nice score.

1 hour ago, Febreze Mee said:

Took out, rebuilt, then reinstalled the STi rack yesterday. Changed the oil. Taking summer wheels/tires off today. 

Why did you have to rebuild it? Leaking much?

Also changed the oil, power steering pump accessory belt (mine was about to fail :eek:).

Also changed driver side axle seal. Was leaking. Next, I'll have to bleed my brakes. 

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Like 1

Yes, so much! I have no idea how many miles are on it since I picked it up used from a wrecked STi, but as of yesterday there are 0mi since it's now fresh. Driving the car and topping off PS fluid over the next couple days as the system purges air.

Ewww to the brake bleed. Do you have the vacation pics or know the correct bleeding sequence?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

STi rack rebuild went well. The longest part was wiping down the underside of the car from all of the PS fluid grime. I do think that I overtightened the two bolts securing the steering gear box to the rack and pinion, as the steering feels extremely heavy and the steering wheel holds the position of the last input. This is all experienced under load only. When the wheels are off the ground, you can still feel a slight heaviness in the steering, but none of the other effects. Bummed as the rack looks brand new now, and is leak free, but the steering isn't there due to user error during the installation process (most likely). I really don't want to pull it again to check it out, but I am getting good at doing it

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

How many Subarus do you own now? :spin: She does look good. Nice score.

Thank you, can say its now by far my favorite wagon I've owned.

Current driveway I have a red 91 SS sedan, marching red 90 fwd legacy wagon and then a 01 na 5spd Baja. Now this ☺️

Makes legacy/outback #15 for me I believe over the years. Have had some of the more rare ones so I just keep looking for the uncommon and unordinary.

I'm actually considering picking up a 05 grp outback sedan with the 3.0. owner isn't exactly being easy for communication to make a purchase though 

That is  a LOT of cars!!

Which ones are you currently owning though?

Btw, since you like red, did you see this? -->

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Hey all - sad to say it but the time has come for me to part ways with my Legacy. The car sits way more than it should and frankly I need to move beyond my attachment to it. It's an understatement to say it has been a great car to drive for the past 16 years (!!!) and I have loved being a part of this community. I'd love for it to go to someone with the same passion for the platform, and will be making a sale thread in the classifieds. If you know anyone who has been looking for an exceptionally clean, original-owner, sub 90k mile 2006 LGT 5spd,  I'd appreciate you pointing them my way.

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

• Thanks 1

Put another DW 65C in the tank as a preventative maintenance item. Drove to a friends house to lower the tank below 1/4. Didn't make a mess getting it out of the tank this time. This would be the third FP for the car.

Not surprised my friend asked if it's not broke why fix it. Not going to trust an 8 year old pump to last indefinitely. All I need is to lean out this new motor and screw it up. Didn't see much change in AF learning. Was nice to go fill at my normal station and not see the DAM dip as we were without the tune check.

Curious how the mileage average looks after this tank. It did seem to improve after the last rev from snail.

Still nice not having piston slap on startup. Loudest thing is the alternator, werrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by kzr750r1

16 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

That is  a LOT of cars!!

Which ones are you currently owning though?

Btw, since you like red, did you see this? -->

I didn't see that. I'll message him.

As for currently, my Baja, my currently new to me obxt, the 90 wagon and 91 SS are in the driveway. I'll never sell my 90 wagon. It's unbelievably clean for it's age and 113k on it.

One comment I will say is owning all the generations is that when you sit in each one back to back to back....you'll see the similarities and feel of your position, layout, body lines etc. That's why I enjoy them so much. Rather than the bold changes you see in some other manufacturers that don't make sense to the lineage of a model. Something I just appreciate in they're simplicity and attention to detail some people don't pick up on. Example like the gauges, where your hands sit, steering feel, seating position, viewing angles, all of that. If you really pay attention you'd understand what I mean...maybe I'm wierd. Idk 

• Like 2

Not weird at all. 

Same for me with my four generations of Honda Civics.  The 1981 Civic wagon was so different on the outside from 93 hatch, but on the inside the 81, 87, 89, and 93 felt like they were all designed by the same team, just trying to make it a bit better each time.

But I guess that team retired and didn't hand off, because it changed with the 7th generation.... 

Pretty sure the BMW '80s - early 00s fans fell the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still wish I had my 89 CRX. You could flog that thing all day long and still get 30mpg.

Sadly totaled from a rear ender on the freeway by a Prius. Was on a return trip from Israel. Had just fixed a nagging issue by replacing the water temp sensor. Ran fat until then.

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Sad 1