LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I was contemplating getting my front bumper repainted later this year and a few dings repaired along with new headlights. And wouldn't you know it, on my way to school two times my windshield has been hit by rocks, two small chips. Guess I will wait for a big one before I concern myelf too much, or maybe try to repair it.

Subaru is bringing back the Legacy GT

I overheard a quick couple of comments at the Dealership between a couple of white & tie shirts & blue (got my name on it) shirts about that's the platform the GT will be on. Then the door quietly closed. :lol:

A GT Outback would be fun.

Based on the stuff that was released at the auto show, it looks like it'll be an XT, and it'll have a CVT and the 2.4DIT out of the Ascent. Pretty sure there's an Outback XT as well, but I'd have to go back and read the press release. The 2020 Legacy thread in the News forum up top is... an interesting read, but there's some info and links in there regarding the new platform.

Actually, this thread in the new 7th-gen subforum has a couple of links, too: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2020-legacy-sedan-making-its-approach-277641.html

I'm looking forward to it. I really like my 08outback but one thing it's lacking it some towing capacity. The newer one from what they're guessing is up to 5000-5500lbs. Plenty of grunt for a potential boat, snowmobile trailer

I'm looking forward to it. I really like my 08outback but one thing it's lacking it some towing capacity. The newer one from what they're guessing is up to 5000-5500lbs. Plenty of grunt for a potential boat, snowmobile trailer

One of big limitations of towing with the recent OB is tongue weight limit. 200# tongue weight limits one to about 2000# trailer in the US if you are following the 10% rule unless either your not towing at highway speeds. Hopefully the SGP OB will have higher tongue weights like the Ascent's 500#s.

Meh, I just can't get excited about any new cars these days unless it's over $50k because all the reasonably price cars all look the same to me. But I'd never drop that kind of money on a car, so I really don't get so excited about anything. I have much more fun looking at sub $20k 10 year old, 50k mile M3's and such on CL - cars that were expensive performance cars when new, that have taken the depreciation hit and are within reach of the common man, and still relatively new. Cars are just not aging as quickly as they used to (except for the technology aspect which I don't really care about) because in the last 15 years or so they have been made with better materials, manufacturing, safety and reliability. I honestly don't think I will ever ever buy a brand new car ever again, unless I win a lottery and then I will allow myself one brand new BMW M of some sort. Edited by GTEASER

I like the idea of the 20/20 rule.

Meaning find a car under 20grand and then put another 20 into it making it how you want.

As for a daily, get something reliable and small payment within your budget. Yet still fun to drive and handle your lifestyle needs

Quick question: anyone with a 5th gen 2.5gt know how the reliability is past 100k miles? My thought was that if it made it 100k miles then it could go to 150k but I couldn't find a whole lot on what starts to cause problems over time. Transmission and Engine replacement come to mind. Anyone have info on this?

Quick question: anyone with a 5th gen 2.5gt know how the reliability is past 100k miles? My thought was that if it made it 100k miles then it could go to 150k but I couldn't find a whole lot on what starts to cause problems over time. Transmission and Engine replacement come to mind. Anyone have info on this?
Technically, if it was taken care of, and not abused or beat on, both the engine and transmission (sans clutch) should go almost 200k miles. Might need a turbo by 150k. All of this assuming regular maintenance, monitoring and a reliable conservative Stage1 tune.

I'd say expect a headgasket job anytime soon at that mileage.

I bought mine with similar mileage and full dealer servicing but I found out a month later that it had a slight headgasket leak which caused overheating after a 3 hour drive.

Get a mechanic to do a leak down and compression test and maybe one of those chemical coolant tests for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

Expect suspension rubber components to need changing if not done already.

Ensure the timing belt service was done properly.

Give it a solid test drive to feel for centre diff issues. Do some full lock to lock turns. Drive up a steep hill and look for bubbles in the coolant overflow bottle.

Check if the airbag, wiper motor and electronic park brake recalls are done otherwise expect to waste time taking the car in for that.

The PCV valve rubber T hose on mine was cracked for an unknown amount of time so have that checked.

If you find issues then price the car accordingly.

Edited by moral hazard

Thanks for the responses, it sounds like basically if it passes a PPI at high mileage then you have normal operating costs and component failures but there isn't a well known bottleneck of failure like you might find on other cars or brands.

Best suggestion - don't come on this forum. We are reeeeeaaaaallllly good at making people want to mess with their rides. :lol::lol::lol: Some have degrees in enabling. :redface:

Meh, I just can't get excited about any new cars these days unless it's over $50k because all the reasonably price cars all look the same to me. But I'd never drop that kind of money on a car, so I really don't get so excited about anything. I have much more fun looking at sub $20k 10 year old, 50k mile M3's and such on CL - cars that were expensive performance cars when new, that have taken the depreciation hit and are within reach of the common man, and still relatively new. Cars are just not aging as quickly as they used to (except for the technology aspect which I don't really care about) because in the last 15 years or so they have been made with better materials, manufacturing, safety and reliability. I honestly don't think I will ever ever buy a brand new car ever again, unless I win a lottery and then I will allow myself one brand new BMW M of some sort.

At the rate you drive your car, it'll be worth 50k before you get another lol

I was just asking because the difference between 100k miles and 140k-150k is 2:1 it just seems like there must be some reliability failure that comes with the higher miles. Or maybe it is just economics of the market and the price difference is exaggerated.

Some of it is being a high mileage vehicle, but I also think the 5th Gen GT get lumped in with the 2005-2009 Legacy GT/ OBXT turbo failures that have taken out so many engines and plagued those cars. Buying an used 150k miles example of those cars is like playing roulette. I remember in 2012 when I was inquiring about used 4th Legacy GT at a Subaru dealer and the dealer told me flat out they don't touch them anymore after getting screwed over on a few trade ins that they had to put motors in.

Head gaskets or a burnt valve seem to be somewhat common for those miles. I wouldn't expect a stock clutch to last much more than 100k miles. The engine is pulled for both of the repairs. The timing belt service on the GT is more labor intensive than other Subaru turbo motors. If you are not a DIYer, a Subaru dealer is probably going to cost $1500 for the timing belt/pulleys/tensioner/waterpump.

Not when it's below 45 degrees outside! Are you kidding me? I'll run in the warmth of the cardio room thank you.

come one man 45 is the perfect running temp... i won't run outside unless it under 70, I'm to dang sweaty for that.