LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Nope, going for the HTA68/TD05 since I'll be running E85. Likely blow off my head gaskets in the next year or two....:spin:

If I was running 93, I would go with the 18g.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm digesting it. It comes to my attention that flex fuel might be better $/hp compared to just a turbo upgrade.

Why would the 18G be better than the HTA68 for ACN91? especially if they spool similarly

I do want to avoid too large of a turbo; I'm pretty averse to lag.

Also here is my email to BNR:

Good Morning!

I am interested in upgrading a VF54 turbo for my 2010 Legacy GT.

Would something like this work for a core? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turbo-Turbocharger-For-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Outback-XT-2010-2011-2012/292930336580?fits=Year%3A2011%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item4434023744:g:v3wAAOSw8~hcR-ox:sc:UPSGround!85257!US!-1

Obviously it is not OEM and I wouldn't trust the quality, but since you'd be replacing the CHRA anyways I wonder if it would work.

How long would it take to upgrade the turbo?

Could you comment on the difference in spool between the 18G, 20G and HTA71? How do they compare to stock? Do you happen to have any dynos, or an idea when each would reach 15psi?

Thanks!

and here is his response:

Should work.

I don’t have any sheets. The turbos are so small that they will all respond nicely!

Bryan Nickell

BNR Supercars LLC

(205)640-1193

So that's good to know that the ebay special vf54 would work for a core.

I think I figured it out. I googled it and I found a discussion in the eBay community. My title was

Perrin Silicone Coupler Kit Black 05-2012 LGT, 08-2018 WRX, 09-2018 Forester XT

I need to put FITS or FOR, because since the item is listed as 'new' seemingly someone might mistake it as a OEM Subaru part :icon_roll

So I need to list it as

Perrin Silicone Coupler Kit Black fits 05-2012 LGT, 08-2018 WRX, 09-2018 Forester XT

or

Perrin Silicone Coupler Kit Black for 05-2012 LGT, 08-2018 WRX, 09-2018 Forester XT

I looked at the current ads on eBay for Perrin couplers they all include 'fits' or 'for'. Seriously is any really going to confuse a part with Perrin logo and box for OEM Subaru part.

Sorry it was such a hassle. I've never ran into that problem, but apparently someone on Ebay caused a stink in the past.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm digesting it. It comes to my attention that flex fuel might be better $/hp compared to just a turbo upgrade.

Why would the 18G be better than the HTA68 for ACN91? especially if they spool similarly

I do want to avoid too large of a turbo; I'm pretty averse to lag.

I'm not an expert but I've diligently read all the threads, multiple times, on this forum regarding turbo selection for 5th gens. Therefrom, it is clear consensus that the 18G is the best turbo for 91/93.

Nonetheless, there is this thread -> https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hta68-powered-2010-lgt-complete-custom-kit-efi-logics-157979.html

This is the email I got back as response from Subaru

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your message. After careful review, we felt that the listings violated eBay policy 2.1 (unlawful comparison).

You can use "compatible with," "fits," or "for" before a brand name in the title of your listing if the item is specifically designed to be compatible with products of that brand.

For the specific listing policy, click on the link below, then 'Read our full policy' and then review the guidelines for 'Brand Names.'

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/search-browse-manipulation-policy?id=4243

If you are an authorized Subaru licensee, please provide us with identifying information as soon as possible for Subaru’s consideration.

Thank You,

Subaru Brand Protection Team

I recreate my ad, because eBay completely deleted it. I couldn't just insert the word 'fit' because it went over the character limit for the title, so I trimmed it down 'fits 2008+ Subaru WRX' and I put the other models in the description. I will remember that in the future when I list an item, so I don't get flagged again.

Yearly reviews came around at work. Got a 4.1% raise on my hourly wage and a bonus equivalent to about 5% of my annual earnings. :) Also am on-call this week, so will have another lump coming from that, AND have the remainder of our profit-sharing from last year hitting in April, so car things can start happening again. Buying the rest of the bushings for my front LCAs and getting all the suspension stuff done, new rear bumper cover and Gialla lip worked up and painted, and finally going to buckle done and DO MY DANG EXHAUST. Excited for this season. :D

Lucky. My company had a very good year, and as such I got a 2.13%..i am not happy

Lucky. My company had a very good year, and as such I got a 2.13%..i am not happy

That blows. In most parts of the country, the job market is good and employers are looking for employees so you could always changes jobs. At least in my area, the bar is set low looking for competent employees as opposed to highly qualified employees that they were lookimg for 5 years ago.

That blows. In most parts of the country, the job market is good and employers are looking for employees so you could always changes jobs. At least in my area, the bar is set low looking for competent employees as opposed to highly qualified employees that they were lookimg for 5 years ago.
They pay us well, it's just raises can be a bit...odd, last year I was at 3.5%...I'm due for a promotion next year and that should be 5-7%. I'm keeping my eyes open though, I do like the company and the 401k is hard to beat...7.5% fully matched

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I just got my "performance review" although it reflects none of my actual job performance, but rather the performance of the "company". 2.48%, if it wasn't for being in school and the generous family insurance plan I would seriously be in the job market. Not to say I won't be looking though!

Nope, going for the HTA68/TD05 since I'll be running E85. Likely blow off my head gaskets in the next year or two....:spin:

If I was running 93, I would go with the 18g.

What if you were going to run flex fuel and use both 91/E85?

I'm not an expert but I've diligently read all the threads, multiple times, on this forum regarding turbo selection for 5th gens. Therefrom, it is clear consensus that the 18G is the best turbo for 91/93.

Nonetheless, there is this thread -> https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hta68-powered-2010-lgt-complete-custom-kit-efi-logics-157979.html

Thanks for linking that, I hadnt seen that thread too.

I've heard good things about the HTA68 when I was researching turbo upgrades for my previous Forester 2.5XT. Decent power with close to stock spool supposedly.

Neat to see results on our low mount turbo engines!

Can't say I've seen him active. Only some Facebook posts here and there. Other person in the area you are is Dan, username is dangergt iirc. His is red, lowered on painted stockers I believe.

I haven't seen him on here in awhile. We were supposed to meet up a few months ago, then nothing. Haven't seen carpenterltd on here either. (both in KC)

So after a couple conversations with some Subaru Techs they both confirmed the USDM STI does not use the drive slot in the cam at all. It is apparently for another market, but ever present on the US model probably cost saving via part sharing. So I would infer USDM aftermarket cams will not have the slot necessary to drive the oil pump on our cars and would need to be machined for it.

I was pretty disappointed but I figure with the cost of the cams being so high anyway machining one wouldn't be that significant of an increase.

Interesting. I wonder what the slot drives on the non-USDM cams.

I did a google search on the STI intake cam 13031AA730 part number. One page (in Russian) listed it for STI and 5th Gen Legacy GT, so it seems like other markets the Legacy may have used the STI cam.

The tech's both told me it was either a secondary oil pump, or a vacuum pump depending on the engine/market. Intake cams are very close with the STI if not identical, so that would make sense they have the same PNs.

The tech's both told me it was either a secondary oil pump, or a vacuum pump depending on the engine/market. Intake cams are very close with the STI if not identical, so that would make sense they have the same PNs.

I initially looked at the USDM intake cams and they have a different part number than the STI cams. The STI intake cam hasn't changed since 2010.

Assuming the site is correct for part interchange, every BM/BR 5th Gen Legacy GT is going to have an oil scavenge as they all have a low mount turbo.

Edited by dgoodhue