LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, Falcor said:

No kidding. 😆 

Guess what popped back up yesterday.....

I'm thinking the only other things it can be is the other 02 sensor or the cat. 

• Sad 1

It is usually the downstream o2, you can data-log the o2 sensor with your Cobb AP (I think you have one) If it is cycling like a wave in step with the front o2 that would indicate a bad catalytic converter. 

I replaced the downstream O2 a few weeks ago thinking that would fix it. I'll try the data log and see if I can see the wave. I'm hoping it's just a bad upstream O2. I would really rather not replace the cat if I don't have to. Thankfully the guy that did the timing belt/clutch did remove the cat off the turbo housing if I remember right to get the water pump swapped. He said he had to heat up the bolts to get everything loose. Hopfully what he did didn't cause the issue.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to give you guys a heads up that I'm going to be selling the GT. I would rather sell it as-is with all the mods to someone who would appreciate it, but if there is no interest I'll be stripping most off and trading it in. Then the take-offs will be posted in the for sell section. I'll be posting the car in the for sale section sometime this week.

If there is any interest before then please contact me. I'll be completely transparent with you guys. This group is and has always been awesome. 👍 

• Sad 4

Update on the pending sell. I couldn't in good conscious sell it knowing the cat was going to need to be replaced. I just placed an order for a new cat and will install before selling. Should be here in a month since the guy at Hot Exhaust said they only ordered two from the manufacturer (low volume). 

• Like 4

On 3/1/2024 at 2:32 PM, dgoodhue said:

Oh I wish I had known. I have a spare cat off a 75k mile GT.  I bought it just incase I ever needs one. 

No problem. There was no way I was going to pay about $3k for a new one. As far as I could find online, only 2 factory style ones were available, Magnaflow and the house brand. The guy at Hot Exhaust said they come from the same factory. 

I don't work on exhaust much. Does anyone know if I need a donut gasket along with the flat gasket that heads out back? I'm getting a new OEM turbo to cat gasket for sure. Probably getting new studs just in case as well.

13 hours ago, Falcor said:

Does anyone know if I need a donut gasket along with the flat gasket that heads out back? I'm getting a new OEM turbo to cat gasket for sure. Probably getting new studs just in case as well.

good decision on the new studs. There isn't a gasket between the cat and the exhaust pipe, but there is a lead gasket between the factory exhaust pipe and the second catalytic converter. I don't know if it can be re-used. part number on it is 44022AA123

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jimothy_14 said:

good decision on the new studs. There isn't a gasket between the cat and the exhaust pipe, but there is a lead gasket between the factory exhaust pipe and the second catalytic converter. I don't know if it can be re-used. part number on it is 44022AA123

correction, there isn't a donut gasket, there is a flat gasket

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the WRX turbo stud will work instead of the GT stud? The GT ones are twice the cost ($15 vs $7). They have the same description (Turbocharger Stud. Stud-10X44X12)

GT: 800910580

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2011_Legacy-GT-Limited-Sedan/Turbocharger-Stud-Stud-10X44X12/49286607/800910580.html

WRX: 800910630

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/49286610/800910630.html

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/products/800910630-subaru-j-pipe-downpipe-turbo-stud

They'll work, the thread pitch being the same is the main thing. I went a step further and looked for studs based on the Turbo's part number from IHI (RFH5H) and found this set on amazon for ~15$. they worked with my OEM turbo

16 hours ago, Jimothy_14 said:

They'll work, the thread pitch being the same is the main thing. I went a step further and looked for studs based on the Turbo's part number from IHI (RFH5H) and found this set on amazon for ~15$. they worked with my OEM turbo

You are awesome. 😃

I've been eyeing an Invidia q300 catback exhaust to compliment my downpipe. there are a couple available online for ~900$. does anyone have any experience with the noise level from them? 

1 hour ago, Jimothy_14 said:

I've been eyeing an Invidia q300 catback exhaust to compliment my downpipe. there are a couple available online for ~900$. does anyone have any experience with the noise level from them? 

There is also one in the classifieds…not sure if still available. 

On 3/8/2024 at 11:22 AM, Jimothy_14 said:

I have the Q300.  The quiet down after a little bit after a couple thousand miles.  In the car they are pretty quiet and around town at idle with a little bit of rumble.  I they sound great on throttle, with a little burble between shifts.  My only complaint would be is they are slightly louder than I would like on the highway.  It am just being particular as I didn't;t want a loud exhaust. My car has the stock j-pipe and cat though.  

I have a friend who interested in buying my 2012 GT but he wants my stock exhaust. If he buys my car I will have my use Invidia Q300 exhaust, it has about 25k miles on it and never drive in the winter.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...