LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

^I've been really pleased with my General Altimax Arctic 12's for both this and last winter that I've had them. Nearly Blizzak performance for only about $400-$500 a set depending on size.

Altimax Arctics for the win. Dollar for dollar, you cannot absolutely cannot beat them. Ignoring cost, it is hard to find a better snow tire.

Altimax Arctics for the win. Dollar for dollar, you cannot absolutely cannot beat them. Ignoring cost, it is hard to find a better snow tire.

i stand by my Michelin XI3's they are about 150/tire these days for 215/55/17. and i just got a set for my GF's outback for 124/tire but the size is escaping me, i know they are taller and narrower than the stock tire tho because the tech mounting them WOULD NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT. yes its a slightly different size, no its not going to matter, yes i realize they are taller than the original tire, no that's not going to take up the monster truck sized gap above the wheel, yes its narrower than the original balloon fitment tire, no its not going to fall of the rim, no you don't know what an aspect ratio is, no i can't explain myself any clearer... rant complete

I really love the Hankook Icept Evos. Do really well in the wet, slushy stuff. Pretty good on ice. This year I put Michelin iceX on my outback and they're doing better for stopping power and on black ice. I've always do a +1 sizing for winter's to get that little extra clearance and ride quality

As a person who will never have the need for winter rubber, I tire of this annual debate and the lengthy posts about snow tires. Two things occur to me...

1. I must be getting grumpy in my old age.

2. Y'all need to move somewhere that doesn't suck 4+ months of the year.

Lol!

As a person who will never have the need for winter rubber, I tire of this annual debate and the lengthy posts about snow tires. Two things occur to me...

Lol!

Excuse me sir, you haven't lived till you've driven a Subaru in the snow with a fresh set of snows... its the only reason i own the car in the first place.... Ullr bless us with the fluffy white stuff and i will be forever in your debt.

Lol!

You got a subaru in spite of having no need for its primary purpose. Being a snow god!

You got a subaru in spite of having no need for its primary purpose. Being a snow god!

IDK, mine does pretty good on jeep trails. I passed a Crosstrek that had chickened out in Escalante this summer. It's pretty fun to be the boring sedan parked in between a lifted Jeep and a Raptor.

Excuse me sir, you haven't lived till you've driven a Subaru in the snow with a fresh set of snows... its the only reason i own the car in the first place.

I bought my Subaru for AWD performance in the snow, but my GT is sitting in my driveway with snow tires waiting the roads to be clean again :lol: I am a sucker for my cars.

Most important thing between you and the road is your tires. I'll continue to play the odds of a snow tire over an all season any day. Plus rotations help with longevity between season.

And yes you're grumpy. Go drink a warm glass of milk, rub some preparation H on your ass and go to bed.

I know that feeling- I have snow tires on the Legacy, and yet I've been driving the Baja almost exclusively and complaining about how bad the all-seasons are in the snow.

Lol I also have all season on my Outback which I am driving in the winter. Snow tires weren’t in my budget for this year.

I almost got a set of snows on steelies for the low, low price of free, but the 15" wheels didn't clear the front calipers on the Baja. My master plan is to find a set of '13-'15 Crosstrek wheels (17") to use as a summer set, and put snows on the stock wheels (16"). It's taking quite a while to burn off the low rolling resistance high-treadwear all-seasons with a 2-mile commute...

To be fair, the roads around me are pretty much always clear except for back roads in subdivisions, and those are at least scraped off level. I'll actually take the Legacy out in fresh snow because that sort of covers up the salt, and I know it'll handle substantially better. I'll bet the Baja would do better with a little more than just 2 cinder blocks over the back tires, but that's what I had in the garage.

I had intended on buying new snow tires for the Outback, but I had $6,000 medical bills remaining from my accident this summer that I wasn't sure if I was going to have to pay for the entire amount or 10% of it. [My auto insurance has depleted the no fault portion medical payments.] Since then, about half of it was covered by medical insurance. I think the other half will be covered but I am not 100% sure.

Next year, I will get some snows for the Outback. As I think about it, I probably should just try swapping the wheels between the OB and Legacy to see if they fit. The OB tires are 3/4" taller tires. When I bought my Legacy GT it had tires (245/45R18) that were similar height but were wider and those rims had more offset. They did hit the liners on bumps but that was near the fenders and it should not be an issue with less offset and narrower tires. The only issue I think would be inboard clearance of the strut towers on the front.

Speaking of winter's I just got these for free today[emoji847][emoji847][emoji847] advantages of my brother in law running a parts dept. He gets take off items from trades and other random goodies too. He just brought home a brand new thule skybox retail 500+ for nothing because the dealer didn't want it still on the car to resell. af86b2d791d3c8096895c0a615ef020e.jpgc0083a236ccd53b61b591057c03315d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Not Legacy related, but someone opened their door into the Crosstrek while my wife was at work. We had high winds in KC yesterday and I'm betting the wind caught their door. This same thing happened to our last Crosstrek, but it didn't have the bump strip and my wife saw who did it. Their insurance finally paid for the damage, but this one we will have to take care of since she didn't notice it till she got home. Thankfully our deductible is $250, but still frustrating.

pic1.thumb.JPG.8bda14dcb486b867309ce13dd79cbc2a.JPG

pic2.thumb.JPG.54a86add6d19363cc9467a364d6bd863.JPG

That's a result of a lot more than a door blowing open.

you haven't seen a door properly blown open by the wind before... I've seen people tossed to ground and side mirrors demolished by wind blown doors... its the reason that when i go skiing I immediately open my door all the way so no one can park within swinging distance.

Today, I drove one of my friend who isn't a car guy. He has not been in my Outback before. His 1st reaction was "Oh, you got another Subaru." The 2nd one was when we got in the car "Holy Shit Dave, you bought an automatic!"