LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Welcome to the club, what took you so long? In case you haven’t heard about it:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-seen-tsb-12-136-12-automatic-headlight-sensor-repair-195473.html?t=195473

I've had this done and went through 2 more sensors while still under warranty. the 4th one went out about a year ago and i haven't bothered to fix it.

Mine sensor is dead as well and has been since I purchase my GT. One of these day I will do the TSB fix.

After finding out about the senor burning out in '12 2.5i shortly after purchasing it, I never used the auto headlight feature so I never ruined the sensor. I realized after the car was out of warranty, I should have purposely used the sensor and gotten the TSB fixed for free.

You need to get the "Self healing" sensor for your cars.....shortly after we got Scooby Fan's 2012 Legacy Ltd. 2.5i, the headlight sensor stopped working...:(

After a few months it started working great again and still works properly to this day :)

Man, I wish I had one of those! I can think of all kinds of applications for that self-healing technology...

Also, I finally got around to buying a replacement sensor probably a week or two before Christmas, and it appears as though the TSB cut-and-paste harness update is no longer available. I'll do a visual comparison whenever I get around to swapping in the replacement, but my guess is that the change was made in the sensor itself, and the little harness change is no longer needed.

Afaik the sensor in my car is original and still works fine. Better knock on the faux wood when I get back to it just in case.

I don't think it affected the 2010, but I believe its was minor change made to the 2011 & 2012. The fix requires a circuit change and modification to the wiring or the sensor would burn out.

Edited by dgoodhue
Edited to include 2011

Welcome to the club, what took you so long? In case you haven’t heard about it:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-seen-tsb-12-136-12-automatic-headlight-sensor-repair-195473.html?t=195473

It was burned out when I bought it, and I swapped the one out of the Outback before it was sold. Now it finally died. I kinda remember this thread, but since I swapped in a good sensor, forgot all about it.

Gotta love circular drag racing.....I thought it was called short track racing ;)

I remember seeing a similar you tube video a few years ago where a guy with a 4th gen wagon was whipping everyone's butts at another "Circular drag strip"

Edited by Scooby Fan

Happened across this on YouTube tonight. A 5th gen LGT at a spectator drag event, ran at 3:50 and 6:45 in this video:

It looks like he could have launched a little harder (at least the very least smoother) but the LGT ultimately lost the car that won overall.He definitely got a disadvantage being on the outside start. I thought about doing something like that at local short circular track but after seeing some videos of some competitors intentionally bumping other competitor cars no thanks. At least no 5th Gen LGT were harmed.

Who here uses the flat foot shifting feature on the AP?

I have it setup to drop to 5500 rpm and it seemed ok at first but I find its dropping a bit too much in higher gears and then its a bit of a shock when i am letting off the clutch again. Recommendations? Do I just need to practice with the clutch engagement a bit.

I try to shift around 6500 rpm give or take a few hundred, but i don't religiously watch the Tach.

Who here uses the flat foot shifting feature on the AP?

I have it setup to drop to 5500 rpm and it seemed ok at first but I find its dropping a bit too much in higher gears and then its a bit of a shock when i am letting off the clutch again. Recommendations? Do I just need to practice with the clutch engagement a bit.

I try to shift around 6500 rpm give or take a few hundred, but i don't religiously watch the Tach.

I use FFS, I set mine to 5000rpm. It seem to work pretty good for me at that rpm point. It's pretty smooth and much less violent than FFS shifting other cars where their is no rev limiter.

Got tired running to the shop all the time to use the Snap-On Diagnostic tool. I end up getting a iCarsoft MB II. I just updated the software on it just now. This scanner suppose to read SRS, ABS, BAS, ESP, Air/heat Condition, Can-Bus, etc.

I will put this scanner to the test sometime this week, before I rip out the SRS N2/7 control unit on the Benz. Dealer wants $1,400ish without tax for the unit. Waiting on my friend that works over at Mercedes to see how much he can get the unit for under his employee discount.

Edited by amusa

I'm also on my third sun sensor. I've known about the TSB but never bothered to do it. The sensors themselves can be had for very cheap if you have a U-pull-it yard near you - last time I went I walked around and collected 5 from legacy's and outbacks. Eventually I'm going to talk to the dealer about getting that piece of harness, or at least the details on the resistor in it so I can make it myself.

I don't think it affected the other years, but I believe its was minor change made to the 2012. The fix requires a circuit change and modification to the wiring or the sensor would burn out.

BTW looking the TSB, it looks like it affects 2011 & 2012 and was corrected at the start of MY2013 production.

I'm guessing the fix got rolled into the sensor itself- they're still using that same sensor on current-production vehicles, so I'd guess the harness was a stop-gap until all of the old sensor inventory got flushed out or consumed.

I'm also on my third sun sensor. I've known about the TSB but never bothered to do it. The sensors themselves can be had for very cheap if you have a U-pull-it yard near you - last time I went I walked around and collected 5 from legacy's and outbacks. Eventually I'm going to talk to the dealer about getting that piece of harness, or at least the details on the resistor in it so I can make it myself.

5th Gen Legacy's and Outback's are few and far between here in Pick-n-Pulls. I keep checking though.

I'm guessing the fix got rolled into the sensor itself- they're still using that same sensor on current-production vehicles, so I'd guess the harness was a stop-gap until all of the old sensor inventory got flushed out or consumed.

I am guessing Subaru did not change sensor itself to incorporate the changes. The current part number in the parts catalog is the same as TSB part number. When Subaru has done minor changes in the past, the part number usually changes by a digit.