LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Looks like a yard near me has one too, guess I will be going to take a look on my next day off! If anyone needs any parts let me know.
Looks like it's been on their lot since July - might want to give them a call to see how picked over it is before making the trip, if it's not somewhere convenient to drive to.

Looks like it's been on their lot since July - might want to give them a call to see how picked over it is before making the trip, if it's not somewhere convenient to drive to.
I would imagine its been gone through, but its not far and it would be nice to pick through it for fun. Says available 1/31, so maybe on hold from insurance? Idk, they are one of the larger recyclers in the area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks like a yard near me has one too, guess I will be going to take a look on my next day off! If anyone needs any parts let me know.https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/es/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Tampa-180/recents/

Are you planning on pulling any of the silver door trim for yourself? If not, I'd be interested :)

Are you planning on pulling any of the silver door trim for yourself? If not, I'd be interested :)

I'm planning on pulling it from the Outback if anyone is interested. As long as its still in good shape.

Ill pull it if its not broken or damaged, I don't know if I personally like the silver. So I will post back with my findings Monday afternoon/evening.

I am not sure about pulling the transmission although I would like a mock up for my STI swap, that is a ways out though. May not be worth pulling now and storing for that long.

The Outback didn't have a lot left on it. The way this salvage yard works is they have a normal yard that they pull the parts for you. Once it has sat long enough they move it to the u-pick-it lot. Motor, trans, passengers side doors were all gone. I did grab the sun sensor, center console cover with the acrylic ring, radio trim panel, and the clutch union.

It was cool/weird to be standing where the engine had been taking off the union since the front sub frame was gone as well. Also, I installed the sun sensor yesterday and it seemed to work (lights on in the dark garage). Just checked in the sunlight and sensor turned the headlights off. Not bad for $5.

Edited by Falcor

Hey guys I am seriously considering upgrading my turbo and I'd like your input on which to go with. In particular, I am interested in spool and power increase over stock on my ACN91.

I am upgrading my cams, although I have not decided yet on GSC S1 or just STI exhaust cams.

BNR offers an 18g, 20g and HTA71. There are also several 20g options on ebay, but I would be more confident in BNR.

Spool characteristics:

Stock: 15PSI @ ~2700 - 3000 rpm (lots of dynos)

18g: 15PSI @ ~3000 rpm

20g: 15PSI @ ~3400 or ~3000 rpm (two different dynos, both 93)

HTA71: no info found, but one HTA68 15PSI @ ~3100 rpm

Does anyone have any more info on spool for the upgrade options?

If the HTA71 spools similar to the 18g, but has more flow potential than the 20g (with upgraded cams), then it's the clear winner... right?

I'd really appreciate any input. I would hate to spend this kind of money and later find out I missed something.

Thanks!

Hey guys I am seriously considering upgrading my turbo and I'd like your input on which to go with. In particular, I am interested in spool and power increase over stock on my ACN91.

I am upgrading my cams, although I have not decided yet on GSC S1 or just STI exhaust cams.

BNR offers an 18g, 20g and HTA71. There are also several 20g options on ebay, but I would be more confident in BNR.

Spool characteristics:

If the HTA71 spools similar to the 18g, but has more flow potential than the 20g (with upgraded cams), then it's the clear winner... right?

I'd really appreciate any input. I would hate to spend this kind of money and later find out I missed something.

Thanks!

I can't recall anyone using an hta71 on here, you should shoot bnr an email with this question and your requirements. I bet they would be happy to provide feedback.

I did find this:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2649991

Spool characteristics:

Thanks!

I'll be sending mine off to BNR next week, so hurry up and find out...:)

I will be interested in the info on this as well. Thanks for doing the leg work!

Spool characteristics:

Thanks!

If you are planning on only using ACN91, I would get a 18g.

Many people choose too large of a turbo thinking bigger equals more air flow. (The exhaust housing and turbine wheel is fixed due to the limited options of hybrid VF54 that fits out application, so one does not need to take in account for a more efficient exhaust gas path). 15psi of backpressure to the cylinder is a fixed amount of air flow. It is determine by the intake camshaft, air flow of the cylinder head and air intake manifold track and intercooler. All that is needed for turbo is for it to efficiently supply enough air for the engine at the desired boost level. Compressor maps can tell you this if you can get them for the actual application. I am guessing no has done this for a VF54 hybrid turbo. My recommendation is based that you really only need to move 15 or 16 psi and I am guessing a 18g turbo will do this more efficiently (less backpressure and less heat generated by the turbo into the intake track) than the stock turbo. If you were trying to run 25psi, 30 psi, it is a different story.

Thank you.

I am using 15psi as a benchmark to use to get an idea of how they would spool related to each other. I suspect that I would end up running 18-20 psi, but I would likely leave that up to my tuner.

FWIW, I talked to Brian at BNR a couple weeks ago, and he said he could do a HTA68. My spare turbo has been with him a for a few weeks now.... I'm in no hurry as MN is still buried in snow....

FWIW, I talked to Brian at BNR a couple weeks ago, and he said he could do a HTA68. My spare turbo has been with him a for a few weeks now.... I'm in no hurry as MN is still buried in snow....

Is your turbo getting the 18g treatment at the spa?

That is a really compelling data point, because it looks like it reaches 15psi at 3000 rpm and holds 17.8 psi to red line!
You need to consider the amount of heat building in the compressor during that pull to redline. That is the issue with the stock turbo, it can hold steady 15 psi to redline easy but the charge is also being superheated. I plan on looking at all options especially having a custom mounting solution, vband or t3 flange to open up the options.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is your turbo getting the 18g treatment at the spa?

Nope, going for the HTA68/TD05 since I'll be running E85. Likely blow off my head gaskets in the next year or two....:spin:

If I was running 93, I would go with the 18g.

Yearly reviews came around at work. Got a 4.1% raise on my hourly wage and a bonus equivalent to about 5% of my annual earnings. :) Also am on-call this week, so will have another lump coming from that, AND have the remainder of our profit-sharing from last year hitting in April, so car things can start happening again. Buying the rest of the bushings for my front LCAs and getting all the suspension stuff done, new rear bumper cover and Gialla lip worked up and painted, and finally going to buckle done and DO MY DANG EXHAUST. Excited for this season. :D

I was selling a new in box Perrin Intercooler coupler kit (which goes between the IC and TB) on eBay. My eBay ad just got pulled for violating Subaru corporation Intellectual Property policy. The ad just only mentions the Subaru vehicles that it fits, no pictures or logos or plain to be Subaru part number, the pictures are my own. I am confused about why it got pulled. I wrote an email to Subaru. eBay FAQ about this topic say I have 5 days for Subaru to answer my questions as to what the violation, before I can appeal to eBay. I can get removed from eBay for repeated violations. I went on eBay and found other Perrin Intercooler Couplers still for sale; I am confused.

I think I figured it out. I googled it and I found a discussion in the eBay community. My title was

Perrin Silicone Coupler Kit Black 05-2012 LGT, 08-2018 WRX, 09-2018 Forester XT

I need to put FITS or FOR, because since the item is listed as 'new' seemingly someone might mistake it as a OEM Subaru part :icon_roll

So I need to list it as

Perrin Silicone Coupler Kit Black fits 05-2012 LGT, 08-2018 WRX, 09-2018 Forester XT

or

Perrin Silicone Coupler Kit Black for 05-2012 LGT, 08-2018 WRX, 09-2018 Forester XT

I looked at the current ads on eBay for Perrin couplers they all include 'fits' or 'for'. Seriously is any really going to confuse a part with Perrin logo and box for OEM Subaru part.

Edited by dgoodhue