LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 amateurs and 1 "I've done this before " managed to a dead wagon (battery was dead) started and into the garage in short order. By 4:30 the engine was out. Another hour or so to get the intake off and engine on the stand.

Then we ran into a small problem....cant get the crank pulley off. Two 6 foot breaker bars and still nothing budging. i fear a shop is to have do this.

In the meantime I'm doing the TGV deletes I skipped last time.

Great day!

Now, now. I told them. But, it took a jump just to bleed the fuel pressure. My plan, walking in, was to pop it loose at the same time we ran it dry ... But, if any of you have done a teardown, you know what happens to plans..

I forgot how sore one gets doing this kinda work. It's fun, for sure. But can be hard on the back and knees..

I told Tris last night how to get the bolt out. Put your socket on the bolt and smack it hard on the back of the socket with a BFH and then try your impact. This will shock the threads and knock it loose inside of the crankshaft. It may take a couple of times and when you try the impact, if it doesn't come loose immediately, try rocking back and forth between forward and back and see if that helps.

Good luck with it. :)

Or an electric impact. Love mine and the portability can't be beat.

I have one. I need to try that before heading out to buy the compressor. Although, I'm not sure how one affects the other. I figure if I buy the compressor first, the # of tools it will be run is maximized. If it the battery powered one works, I may come home empty handed. :eek:

dead blow mallet + deep well 6-point impact socket + full width swings = nada

battery powered impact driver + deep well 6-point impact socket + crank pulley wrench = nada

The fly wheel lock SBT mentioned might help. Will be looking for that today.

No dead blow mallet-BF ball peen or short handled sledge hammer. You need the shock. Dead bolt won't do that. Put the shortest socket you have on it and smack it really good with the steel hammer and then try again. As I said, it may take several times to get it to come loose-be patient.

Drop the bottom idler pulley off and pop goes the belt. MAKE SURE that the crank mark is lined up first as it will prevent any possibility of the valves touching pistons. I just put a belt kit on a 2.5 DOHC N/A Outback that I bought and it's a pain in the ass because of course, on this particular engine, it HAS REGULAR DAMN CAM BOLTS, so my Company 23 cam lock tool won't work...Figures.

The Company 23 tool rules though. Put the belt on my engine build in about 15 minutes and it was correct the first time. When you go to put the belt back on, make sure and look at the lines on the timing belt and how they line up on the gears single hash marks and it will answer any questions about alignment.

Archived