LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

I'm dependent on the machine shop and getting the heads to them. Not going to make it before Christmas, so will have to be next week.

Regardless, I'm motivated to get it done and out of the garage. The longer it sits there, the more shopping I do (KillerB Motorsports has too much shiny). :eek:

LOL you gotta have patience, but not as much as me. My car hasn't moved on it's own power since winter 2010. Every now and then I push it up and down the driveway. I also have been eyeballing a few items from them like the oil pan. Not like we don't need to keep spare oil close by.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL you gotta have patience, but not as much as me. My car hasn't moved on it's own power since winter 2010. Every now and then I push it up and down the driveway. I also have been eyeballing a few items from them like the oil pan. Not like we don't need to keep spare oil close by.

:eek: What?!?! You haven't driven you car in over 4 yrs?? :spin:

My wife's balls are delicious.

Drama finally showing up. Machine shop is closed until Jan 5.

So, picked up tools to measure the flatness on my own. Watching the many videos on YT is making me question putting OEM HG back on.

You mean like how looking up medical info on WebMD automatically leads you to believe you have teh cansurr?

Just double the head gaskets. If some is good, more is better.

What's the going rate on a machinist straight edge these days?

figuring a machinist straight edge and a really nice level were the same thing, HF @ $10. Also bought a feeler gauge with .0015" option.

Tool town is not open on Sunday. Tried a number of places that are open on Sunday only to find none of them carry a machinist straight edge.

What's the going rate on a machinist straight edge these days?

I paid $150 for mine about 10 years ago.

I would not trust a $10 level for this check. Not after the number of hours that you've spent getting to the point that you can pull your heads off.

You can get a 24" Starrett that is flat to .0004 for about $90+shipping&tax from Enco.

I would not trust a $10 level for this check. Not after the number of hours that you've spent getting to the point that you can pull your heads off.

I agree totally. Don't use a cheap feeler gauge either. And make sure to check all the mating surfaces in several locations.

What's the acceptable tolerance before the heads have to be milled?

FSM says 0.035mm (0.0014") is the service limit.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That shows you how much faith they have in their gaskets!
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You can get a 24" Starrett that is flat to .0004 for about $90+shipping&tax from Enco.

I agree totally. Don't use a cheap feeler gauge either. And make sure to check all the mating surfaces in several locations.

What's the acceptable tolerance before the heads have to be milled?

The best of Summit Racing was .002". The Woodcraft (local woodworking toy store) I picked up yesterday is .002". The feeler gauge is a $10 HF item. My theory being if it comes out "flat" with what I bought, I'll have it looked at by a machine shop. If it comes out not flat, I'm looking at new heads or running higher compression (the heads were used when I bought them).

What's a cheap feeler gauge? Napa was twice HF prices and didn't have the same range. HF went to .0015. Napa was .002.

Interesting. I just assume there is some tolerance built into the feeler gauges and that the higher the quality, the less tolerance. But I guess even the HF would probably be ok. The Napa one was probably assembled in the same factory. :)

And to check for flat, the machine shop is going to do what you are doing. If all else is good with the heads and they check out for flat and no warpage then in theory you're safe to go with them. In theory.

And .0014" is crazy! Yeah, Subaru must like keeping machine shops in business. Wow.

HF feeler gauges are fine. I have a set that I validated with a micrometer.

You could also use the straight edge and back light it with a strong light source, if you see light at the joint between straight edge and head it needs milling.

And .0014" is crazy! Yeah, Subaru must like keeping machine shops in business. Wow.

Basically what they're telling you is that if your .0015 feeler slides under the straight edge that it needs resurfacing. Although I'm more than a little surprised at the tolerance, we're in the range of NASA levels of tolerance...

Cheap feeler gauge says timing guides are .023 from timing belt. Assuming if it moves easily, it's not the right gauge.

I read all the posts about what to do to the car. It never occurred to me to read all the posts on how to use the tools. Beginning to understand why the garage ppl don't laugh when they post the signs saying it costs more when you work on it first.

HF feeler gauges are fine. I have a set that I validated with a micrometer.

You could also use the straight edge and back light it with a strong light source, if you see light at the joint between straight edge and head it needs milling.

John Pierce mentioned the backlighting, too. I didn't understand and assumed enlightenment would occur at some point.

Point.

Summitt Racing .001 straight edge: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cbi-56429/overview/

Please don't use a HF level !!!

Have a woodcraft straight bar. .002 over 24" length. Close enough for me.

HF level went in the "go-back" pile.

Unless there is something catastrophically wrong with the block when I get it apart, it's going to the machine shop. However, since I have a week before they open, I figured I could learn something.

If I wanted to be uber paranoid, I'd get the factory tolerances for the heads. Measure them. Then decide what to do next. Going to the "mis-aligned" solution MrTris offered seems a bit extreme.

going the slow route. Watch the

, do one thing, watch the
, do the next thing, rinse/repeat.

Timing guides are off, in their own baggies, and marked with the clearances as found.

Timing gear marking are lined up (used the HF level to make sure the marks lined up). The engine droops a bit on the stand and it's difficult to see if the marks on the passenger side are actually inline (casual viewing says no, HF level says yes).

Next step, tonight, getting the belt off.

Archived