LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, if you're worried about the effect on cam timing from milling the heads, and the change in CR, Siruda make good multi-layer metal gaskets in IIRC 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 and 1.2mm thickness.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

BTW, if you're worried about the effect on cam timing from milling the heads, and the change in CR, Siruda make good multi-layer metal gaskets in IIRC 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 and 1.2mm thickness.

This discussion came up when I was spec'ing the build in 2012. John was of the opinion that extra thick gaskets caused more blowouts. As this one seems to have failed early, we'll see what it looks like.

My biggest fear is pulling this all apart to find the gaskets are fine and something else went wrong. :eek:

My biggest fear is pulling this all apart to find the gaskets are fine and something else went wrong. :eek:

Tell me about it. My simple HG fix turned into one oval bore, one cracked head, one cracked ring land, a warped deck and a set of big-end shells about to fail. I don't actually know if the crack in the head caused the gasket to leak or the other way around.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Tell me about it. My simple HG fix turned into one oval bore, one cracked head, one cracked ring land, a warped deck and a set of big-end shells about to fail. I don't actually know if the crack in the head caused the gasket to leak or the other way around.

Yup, that's what I need more horror stories. :wub:

Yup, that's what I need more horror stories. :wub:

Always glad to be of assistance. ;)

got the timing belt off, after figuring out that the covers on the cam sprockets have oil in them. Intuitively I knew this. However, I sat there dumbfounded as oil ran out all over the belt and sprocket. At least the timing belt was already toast from prying on the tensioner pulley with a big screwdriver.

When everything is nice and tight, putting a bit of torque on the TB to get the tensioner loose isn't a big deal. However, once you loosen the TB and the tensioner goes Boing!, hello 18" screwdriver!

All the TB pulley spin slowly (that's good, right?), however, they all show signs of throwing bearing grease out of their seals. Looks like all of them are KOYO brand. Hopefully, that's still in the OEM kit?

You know that time of night when you just want to get something done? When you are in the middle of doing starting something so stupid, "Hold my beer" and "Darwin" comments start rising to your consciousness? That's now.

Was in the process of using the engine hoist to lift the toolbox to drop in the toolbox cart because I was tired of running to the trailer for yet another tool. Figured I'd put the toolbox together and move everything in at one time. Assembled empty toolbox is a bit more than I can deadlift. When I started shielding the car with cardboard & foam, the "hold my beer" thought appeared. When I pulled the toolbox over to the crane and started working on a Macgyver attachment method for the chains, the "darwin" thoughts appeared. The older, wiser part of me disassembled the "rube goldberg" part of the plan and took me out of the garage.

Cam sprockets with Company23 tools - New Year's Eve.

Blindly pushing forward is a danger... Least with "hold my beer" you have a sign to take a step back and look at WTF your doing.

As for the darwin moments, yes I agree. Was opening a special edition Sam Adams at a friends house. Before trying to reef the champagne like cork out I adjusted trajectory to be the ceiling if it blew off with any force.

Friend smiled, "Good Choice", as I moved away from the light fixture over the table.

All the TB pulley spin slowly (that's good, right?), however, they all show signs of throwing bearing grease out of their seals. Looks like all of them are KOYO brand. Hopefully, that's still in the OEM kit?

All bearings will spin grease out of them. That's why I laugh at the concept of "sealed" bearings or "lifetime" bearings. All that they're telling you is that they're not serviceable, not that they're made from unicorn tears and magically last forever. If it were me I'd just replace them all, then you don't have to second guess your choice for the next 70k miles.

All bearings will spin grease out of them. That's why I laugh at the concept of "sealed" bearings or "lifetime" bearings. All that they're telling you is that they're not serviceable, not that they're made from unicorn tears and magically last forever. If it were me I'd just replace them all, then you don't have to second guess your choice for the next 70k miles.

I've been harboring delusions that I was doing this to save money. Now I realize I'm doing this because the ROI on hired labor costs just wasn't worth it. I'm spending about the same, which equates to getting an education.

Roll the tool box upside down, attach the legs and bottom shelf. Roll the box 90 degrees. Then to the same again and it's up on it's wheels. You never have to do a full dead lift of the box.

In the light of day, I realized laying the cart on its side and sliding the toolbox into its clutches, then tilting it upright was far less dangerous and more safe than whatever crazy thing I was thinking of last night.

I've been harboring delusions that I was doing this to save money. Now I realize I'm doing this because the ROI on hired labor costs just wasn't worth it. I'm spending about the same, which equates to getting an education.

And that's they way I justify things to myself, besides, at the end you wind up with the knowledge and the tooling to do it again. And chances are you'll wind up doing it again. I don't save money, but I do maximize the value of what I've spent.

Have a file of a communication room retrofit over the course of a weekend from a few years back. Gives folks a better understanding what it takes to gut a room and get it back in service during the down time.

One picture every 90 seconds string them together and you have a benny hill credit reel. There is an app that makes a movie of the pictures.

Your original thought to have a webcam running at all times was a good one. Some visuals to go along with the words would be awesome.

I was all set to do that. Then remembered the GoPro 3 is still on the stealth purchase list. Then again, maybe its purchase got lost in the all the angst of that race weekend.

I'll try to hang it up for tonight's activities.

Archived