LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shopping for the DEI gold wrap to wrap & the turbo shield when I put them back in.

Been thinking of wrapping the DP with the heat retention wrap and then spraying with heat retention paint.

There's an automotive paint supply place up the road from my place. Need to find the paint chips for various Subie colors. Valve covers in Subie WRC pink? Turbo in Subie WRC blue? Black for the grill?

Another option is paint. Mine had been painted with some sort of heat resistant paint by Underdog before he sold it to me. Can't speak to how effective it is, but it is an option. Up where the DP connects to the turbo, the paint still looks decent after a month or so.

I'm using gold engine enamel on the VCs, but I don't recommend it, as it flakes pretty badly. Perhaps the GS Cherry blossom red might be a good choice. Iirc, I was told that caliper paint is good for turbos, too. Pick a set of colors and stick to it, otherwise it ends up looking too much like a civic. Or a clown car.

Nightshades works great on the chrome part of the grille.

part of the reason to stop by the auto paint shop is to find heat containing paint that looks alot like a Miata header & exhaust pipe. Every header I checked in the pits was painted. As the exhaust pipe runs under the foot pan, your feet get extra toasty. Figured a little help with heat management might be a good thing.

Can't recall. I want to say the ones for my 4 cylinder ran about $180. The ones for my 6 were maybe a little more. They charge by the linear foot of pipe. Something to note: if there are any integral heat shields or cats, they can't be coated. For example, I installed an STI up pipe in my car. Performance wouldn't coat it since there was something of an integral heat shield. So, I just painted it with high temp paint.

Archived