LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

I like that Koyo Japan builds these in-house and QAs each one. This version also includes an integrated 1/8” NPT female accessory fitting located near the top inlet tube. This fitting (supplied with a threaded plug) will accept a 1/8” NPT temperature sensor supplied with most aftermarket temperature gauges.

I went with a Koyorad. So far I like it. Haven't been in super hot conditions with it yet though.

The 1/8" NPT female accessory fitting was slightly leaking coolant. I think rewrapping it in plumbers tape has fixed the problem.

I also had to cut the top hose (for fan clearance with OEM fans) and bottom hose to get everything to fit right. I went with Mishimoto hoses.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y'all need to remember I put 130k miles on the OEM radiator, including 28k very hard miles. It's a 10 year old radiator. Unless there is a QA problem, both Koyo & Mishimoto should be vast overkill from what I had. The money is already spent and swapping it now isn't going to happen without a compelling reason. Thanks for the opinions. :-)

I'm sure the Mishiomoto will be fine for you and including it in your rebuild makes sense. And if it's already ordered, then changing horses in the middle of the stream at this point doesn't, especially if having two similarly-sized boxes show up creates too much spousal interest. :)

FWIW I put 150K on my OEM radiator, and it would likely still be going strong if I hadn't leaned too heavily on the plastic circulating connector. And the wagon has had a lot of cooling demands between SoCal and SoCar Stg 2 heat and towing, so it's been doing it's job just fine.

Going Stg 3+ and I don't want to subject the stock cooler to those loads, so I'll be upgrading to a performance radiator as well. Putting in my order for a KoyoRad VH2778 so it's ready to go with the rest of the parts.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

SBT, the Koyo Hyper V Core VH2778 you linked to is the thinner 36mm core, it's intended for tight squeeze spaces. Their thicker R Core series is 53 mm for racing and high performance. Unfortunately they don't make the R series in a specific Legacy model, it probably doesn't fit.

http://www.koyoradracing.com/about/technology.asp

However the Mishimoto X-Line MIS MMRAD-STI-08X is the thicker triple core (50.8 mm) and has been confirmed to fit the Legacy GT by Mishimoto.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Mishimoto-MMRAD-STI-08X-Performance-Aluminum-Radiator-X-Line

The Mish standard performance is a grade above OEM but has a two core 41.9 mm core.

The clincher for me would be that the Mishimoto XLine has a Lifetime Warranty.

The Koyorad has a minimal warranty, basically if it doesn't leak the first time you startup that's it..... The Koyo oem radiators have an 18 month warranty, but Koyo explicitly excludes the all aluminum racing radiators from the oem warranty.

http://www.koyorad.com/tech/technical_info.asp

Koyorad All Aluminum Racing Radiator Limited Warranty Policy

Koyo Cooling Systems, Inc. will warranty Koyorad All Aluminum Racing Radiators which were professionally installed and show signs of a manufacturer's defect immediately upon first installation and vehicle start-up. A manufacturer's defect and/or leaks will be apparent immediately upon first installation, cooling system fill, and vehicle start-up. All Koyorad products are triple pressure tested before leaving our factory. A thorough leak inspection post-installation by your mechanic is required. In any vehicle whether slightly or highly modified, uncontrollable variables exist and there are always possible causes for radiator failure under these conditions.

Lots more at:

http://koyoradracing.com/policy.asp

The Mishimoto LifeTime Warranty:

http://www.mishimoto.com/warranty-info.html

And the part about the metallurgy of the Koyo radiator matching Subaru engine block aluminum is marketing hype.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Thanks S. Gator. It sounds like KoyoRad's position is if it doesn't leak on startup, it probably won't unless something goes through it. :)

And you are correct, the Koyo that I linked, is the one designed for the LGT. I'm not looking for the "R" version as installing it does requires some "fitment. It's a large bump in cooling over the OEM which has been enough for previous levels, but won't be for the next level.

There are many that are running the Mishimoto, with great success. And you are correct about their warranty - which, IIRC, even extends to "wrecked" versions.

From my perspective, a solid, hand-built bar and plate multi-core radiator, by any manufacturer, is an improvement over the stocker plastic and thin aluminum, single core. The bar and plate 36mm KoyoRad is more than adequate for my needs, but the big selling point for me is the metallurgy. I've enough experience in SoCal with the Mishimoto and buggered-up cooling paths that metallurgy is the determinant.

MrTris introduced me to the crew at PIA who all questioned why my wagon left the shop with the oem radiator intact. Expensive mistake

That is interesting. I met a guy who had a decent sized turbo and built motor put on a fxt at PIA who was still running the stock rad. I thought it odd to do all that work and skimp a $250-350 part.

Btw I questioned your stock rad the first time I met you at xxx stating how surprised I was.

That is interesting. I met a guy who had a decent sized turbo and built motor put on a fxt at PIA who was still running the stock rad. I thought it odd to do all that work and skimp a $250-350 part.

Btw I questioned your stock rad the first time I met you at xxx stating how surprised I was.

They're pretty application-based, in that, if you wanna do the built motor, they'll do it. What shop would turn down that? However, for a daily driver, he probably doesn't need the extra cooling capacity, whereas Boxy does because of what he specifically does with the car.

To clarify, I don't use either Koyo or Mishimoto, when Subaru/ICY/Phoenix built my race car in 2006 it was sponsored by FLUIDYNE, so it has one of their radiators. Although they make a direct fit for the WRX and STI, mine is definitely not plug and play in the LGT, it has fabricated brackets.

I have been researching radiators because I need to have a backup at the races in case I take a rock or car debris thru it. I'm torn between the Mishimoto or getting another Fluidyne.....I like the idea of supporting a US high performance radiator company in the heart of NASCAR country.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

I remember. :spin: There's no drama in my life.

Got a brand new in the box mishimoto radiator I'll sell you if hour intrested. $220. I wrecked my car and mishimoto warraned the old one, but since my car was totaled I habe no use for it.

I have been researching radiators because I need to have a backup at the races in case I take a rock or car debris thru it. I'm torn between the Mishimoto or getting another Fluidyne.....I like the idea of supporting a US high performance radiator company in the heart of NASCAR country.

Maybe you 2 can make a deal? $220 seems like a good deal on a backup.

FLUIDYNE is well-know in the U.S. market and makes some excellent race/high-performance products. AFAIK they use the same Nocolok brazing process that Koyo uses.

Garage clean out continues. Still hoping for a miracle and get a short term rental of a garage space.

BMB came thru with loaner bolts, as TiC is back-ordered til January.

In other news, stopping by Costco to get beer & chips. "Silver Bullet" for the kids & ESB for the adults. Sending out invites today.

• Moderators

Are you pulling the cam gears?

If you really want the company 23 tools, I paid for a used set that hasn't shipped yet (cam lock, and both cam gear tools). If you want to pay for the guy to ship them usps priority mail and he can get them out tomorrow, you should see them by saturday no problem. Use em, then send em back to me when you get your TiC bolts--plus rental fee and all applicable surcharges ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If you really want the company 23 tools, I paid for a used set that hasn't shipped yet (cam lock, and both cam gear tools). If you want to pay for the guy to ship them usps priority mail and he can get them out tomorrow, you should see them by saturday no problem. Use em, then send em back to me when you get your TiC bolts--plus rental fee and all applicable surcharges ;)

I keep saying we need to have a set that we all pass around for $100 + Shipping. One guy buys, uses, and the next guy pays him back, uses, so on and so forth. .

Deal. Pm sent.

I keep saying we need to have a set that we all pass around for $100 + Shipping. One guy buys, uses, and the next guy pays him back, uses, so on and so forth. .

Those tools are stupid expensive. $150 for all 3. You use them twice (once off, once on). I'd have mounted them on the pegboard along with the ball-joint fork for a 1970 Dodge Challenger (which I'll never use again).

Archived