LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ship date on that straight edge, if ordered today, is 2/5/2015. Drama must ensue

Agree on the HF level.

Part of the reason I chose to source something locally. I may have to the Miata in the future. So still contend this is good enough. The truth will come from the machine shop in a week or so.

Think I'm going to order this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-380-24-24-Inch-Steel-Straight/dp/B0006J4GKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419968626&sr=8-1]Starrett 24" straight edge[/ame] and a set of these [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J000AA-Master-Feeler/dp/B001HWDOK8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1419969862&sr=1-2]Proto Feeler Gauges [/ame]just in case. Always good to have them in case you need them... and who doesn't need quality tools.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J000AA-Master-Feeler/dp/B001HWDOK8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1419969862&sr=1-2][/ame]

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Think I'm going to order this Starrett 24" straight edge and a set of these Proto Feeler Gauges just in case. Always good to have them in case you need them... and who doesn't need quality tools.

From Starrett's site - http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/1-Precision-Measuring-Tools/11-Precision-Hand-Tools/1111-Precision-Rules,-Straight/111103-Straight-Edges/380-24

Accuracy -± .0002” per foot

Yes, it should.

I had read it like he was gonna reuse the timing gear. .

I'll try the spin test on the replaceable parts. The blue transfer on the gears, while benign, looks like it should go new gears. The timing belt has ~30k miles on it. Based on current usage, the HG will go before the belt. Debating (looking at cost) whether to replace the TG & belt or re-use.

Starrett makes very nice stuff. Spendy, but nice stuff.

I buy Starrett at every garage sale. Along with other spendy high-end tools. Never found a straight edge. :spin:

Spending $80 (feeler gauge + straight edge), then another $100-300 at a machine shop seems like overkill. However, I'm more than a bit curious how "flat" the heads are. And I'm sure the machine shop is just panting to have me stand over their shoulder with dumbass questions.

If you have over 100k miles on those heads, and they are leaking, I guaranty they need to be machined. Better to be safe than sorry, because I took the sorry route the 1st time and had to go back in and pull them out.
My wife's balls are delicious.

If you have over 100k miles on those heads, and they are leaking, I guaranty they need to be machined. Better to be safe than sorry, because I took the sorry route the 1st time and had to go back in and pull them out.

The original heads are gone. These were pulled "STI" heads on the rack that had already been machined. In theory, they should have 30k miles on the machining. It's been roughly 3 years since the engine was worked on (Jan 2012 was the rebuild), so any warranty is long past expired.

JmP says I should be be to remove old HG, check for flatness, and if good put a new set on and go. Seeing as I had no way to check for flatness, I bought a couple of tools.

My hope is the car was parked soon enough that the HG have only a small failure and the heads are fine. Until I get the heads off, any speculation is just that.

Well lets do the comparison.

1) Spend $100 in tools to measure the deck. If flat and within range, good to go. If not, spend another $130 to have them machine.

2) Spend $130 for the machine shop to inspect and machine, save yourself $100 in tools.

No brainer for me, I'll spend the extra $30 bucks every time.

My wife's balls are delicious.

If you buy the tools, they are an investment in the next head gasket job.

But he wants to take it to Old Man Anal

. . Machine Shops

:hide:

[/insidejoke]

But he wants to take it to Old Man Anal

. . Machine Shops

:hide:

[/insidejoke]

Well...who doesn't really?

If you buy the tools, they are an investment in the next head gasket job.

Yeah, thanks for that insight. I'm sure the Miata will puke on me soon and will need a rebuild. Likely it will happen at the track, so we'll be doing a hack job to get back on track. Hence, $80 of tools will pay off. Reminds me, I need to throw in the angle grinder to get the head flat quicker. :spin:

just use some 3m spray adhesive to adhere sandpaper to the wide side of your machinists square and go to town. Or you can buy a 24" square of thick plate glass and some large sheets of sandpaper, 3m the paper down and move the heads over the glass and sandpaper...

Archived