LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

Drop the bottom idler pulley off and pop goes the belt. MAKE SURE that the crank mark is lined up first as it will prevent any possibility of the valves touching pistons. I just put a belt kit on a 2.5 DOHC N/A Outback that I bought and it's a pain in the ass because of course, on this particular engine, it HAS REGULAR DAMN CAM BOLTS, so my Company 23 cam lock tool won't work...Figures.

The Company 23 tool rules though. Put the belt on my engine build in about 15 minutes and it was correct the first time. When you go to put the belt back on, make sure and look at the lines on the timing belt and how they line up on the gears single hash marks and it will answer any questions about alignment.

Boxman wanted to flip the motor right-side up before he left. Now I see why. :-)

Thanks for info.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That damned pulley. I didn't think about the rubber having enough give to make the impact useless. I've had similar issues with nylock nuts absorbing just enough of the impact to make you grab a ratchet. I'm guessing that the flex is also why the breaker bars with extensions didn't work either. I'm really glad that you had purchased the flywheel lock or we'd still be bouncing on that thing and cursing it. Mine was nowhere near that hard to get off.

You'll want to slide the pulley back on to line up the crank marks since it has the slot for the key on the crank snout.

Fun times and Boxkita Drama™®

Also, before you pull the belt "guides" at the corners and above the main sprocket - these keep the belt from jumping teeth if the car is accidentally bumped while in gear - measure the gap and make sure it's 1.0 +/- 0.5 mm (0.039 +/- 0.020 in) when you reinstall these.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Also, before you pull the belt "guides" at the corners and above the main sprocket - these keep the belt from jumping teeth if the car is accidentally bumped while in gear - measure the gap and make sure it's 1.0 +/- 0.5 mm (0.039 +/- 0.020 in) when you reinstall these.

Looking at the corners, I have metal guides. Looks like those got upgraded in the build, as I thought they were plastic from the factory.

Will check the clearance on reinstall.

We thinking mid January for reassembly?

Ha! He's shooting to have his car ready to rock come Skills Day!

So weekend after New Years?

I'm dependent on the machine shop and getting the heads to them. Not going to make it before Christmas, so will have to be next week.

Regardless, I'm motivated to get it done and out of the garage. The longer it sits there, the more shopping I do (KillerB Motorsports has too much shiny). :eek:

Archived