LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skip the shiny side of the turbo, ST everything exhaust related... I think we agree on that.

Ahead of the compressor is the turbo inlet, no? Unless we are mixing phrasology.

We're mixing phraseology. :) Definitely everything exhaust for sure.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Even though it's meant for high temp applications it could offer some protection of items that need to keep cool. Such as FMIC plumbing.

Agreed, but ST is so thick that it would make making those FMIC piping tight fits and turns that need to be "tweaked," pretty tough.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah that is true. But it's like that with any coating. Even anodizing adds enough material that the coating needs to part of the initial engineering. Powder coating can go on thick as well and cause issues. Had a couple of parts, again on the KZ, that pushed the boundaries.

Do you remember how much that was?

As I said above, I don't know exactly. I am thinking they were in the couple hundredish dollars range. But they turn stuff around quick there. I know I had the headers for my 2002 back in 3 days. It's been years and the coating is holding up well.

will stop by there this week. Have to check the clearance on the up pipe, is it worth doing too?

Miata pipes will interesting. Don't want the insides done, as already small diameter. However, getting the upper half of the exhaust pipe would be great. That thing gets hot enough to cook flesh (we know the hard way)

Just to be sure your talking about the bolt going onto the exhaust cam?

Have a welder? Take a threaded rod to it and use two bolts to lock on each other for the attempt. Otherwise it's digging out the drills for a pilot hole then the size needed for an easy out and a hammer. Not a dead blow.

Yup, those avcs are a bitch, because they are very soft aluminum. I damaged one when I over tighten the oil cap to the front and then it started to throw a code, because there was not enough oil pressure going to the gear. Just remember to only hand tight those oil caps. They don't require a lot of tightness, just make them secured.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Just to be sure your talking about the bolt going onto the exhaust cam?

Have a welder? Take a threaded rod to it and use two bolts to lock on each other for the attempt. Otherwise it's digging out the drills for a pilot hole then the size needed for an easy out and a hammer. Not a dead blow.

bolts into exhaust cams, yes. Burned up my dremel trying to cut one off. The other is untouched except for the stripped hex part.

no welder. kind of stuck at this point.

tool & bolt damage report.

for those of you at home, that's:

1 - Craftsman 3/8" ratchet

1 - Husky (Home depot) 3/8" breaker bar

1 - 1/2 to 3/8 converter

1 - 1/2 to 3/8 impact quality converter

1 - 10mm hex socket - the hex bit that goes in it came out

2 - Intake AVCS cam bolts (with oil hole) sheared off

2 - Exhaust cam bolts sheared hex insert

This was using Company23 tools, and a 6 foot iron pipe for breaker help.

IDK how Outback Auto put these on, as they don't come off. :spin:

AVCS_CamsDamageReport.thumb.jpg.675adc22684e2e85e5e78322ce4ab441.jpg

Half inch drivers are a must here with impact rated 10mm allen. Sorry thought that was already part of the rule book. The breaker bar I used was the handle off my floor jack.

Not that this is going to help you now.

I know it may sound fruitless but get some large easy outs. Drill up in steps to that size.

Keep it in the center as much as possible. Use a large enough crescent wrench so your breaker bar has little slop on it. Then apply pressure while someone is tapping the easy out with a hammer.

Half inch drivers are a must here with impact rated 10mm allen. Sorry thought that was already part of the rule book. The breaker bar I used was the handle off my floor jack.

Not that this is going to help you now.

I know it may sound fruitless but get some large easy outs. Drill up in steps to that size.

Keep it in the center as much as possible. Use a large enough crescent wrench so your breaker bar has little slop on it. Then apply pressure while someone is tapping the easy out with a hammer.

half inch drivers are not a standard item - looked all over for such a thing. I used a 6 foot iron pipe (no bending there).

Will look for easy outs in the morning.

Thinking there might a small market for those half inch 10mm allen sockets :wub:

Archived