LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

10917882_787095437992389_3992134918822091171_n.jpg?oh=565f627978b75695c27f02f7583c2461&oe=5535093E&__gda__=1429335266_2e6906d91a0ba3bc00eadef448274a2d

I know its a Porsche motor, but why can't I have a motor that pretty?

I think it has something to do with....lack of money. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
boxkita-

When the cambolts FU'd, did the entire head of the bolt break off, or did just the center hex portion strip out?

Intake bolts sheared about halfway down, just twisted like taffy. The exhaust cam bolts rounded out on the hex section, and then we dremel'd them to try and use other tools on the bolts. I was still hoping we'd take the head off of 'em without wrecking the cam gears. Remember, with bolts, once the head comes off, the clamping force is nil; the remaining resistance comes from the threads and whatever hole they're in. In this particular case, if the head were to come off those bolts, it'd be super easy to just run 'em out by hand.

Intake bolts sheared about halfway down, just twisted like taffy. The exhaust cam bolts rounded out on the hex section, and then we dremel'd them to try and use other tools on the bolts. I was still hoping we'd take the head off of 'em without wrecking the cam gears. Remember, with bolts, once the head comes off, the clamping force is nil; the remaining resistance comes from the threads and whatever hole they're in. In this particular case, if the head were to come off those bolts, it'd be super easy to just run 'em out by hand.

That sucks for intake cam bolts. Suspect excessive use of loctite.

As for the exhaust cam bolts I was going to suggest what I did to mine. Quarter them with a grinder, then tap them ccw out with a chisel and hammer, or even drill them out. I had more success with the grinder method.

AFAIK, you can't use loctite on the intake cam bolts because they flow oil. Well, I'm sure you can, but, I wouldn't think it's a good idea, nor would it stick.

We tried a few different things to get those exh bolts out. . . I think he's just waiting on the extractor set now, since that's practically a sure bet.

It would stick, there usually is sufficient time for it to set during the reassembly.

It most definitely should not be used.

I'm just saying for it to break where it did I would suspect the loctite especially if those gears have been removed before.

Subscribed for the entirety.

It would stick, there usually is sufficient time for it to set during the reassembly.

It most definitely should not be used.

I'm just saying for it to break where it did I would suspect the loctite especially if those gears have been removed before.

Subscribed for the entirety.

At first torque, I thought perhaps there was some on/in there, too, but, after it sheared and I turned out the remaining bolt threads with just a small screwdriver and very little effort, it became clear there was no threadlocking adhesive used in that portion of the rebuild.

The place you want to use loctite is actually on the crank pulley bolt. You want that sucker down TIGHT, because, if it comes loose while running, ALL the bad things happen. At once. To your ass.

at least on 1 side.

I didn't get a look at the engine last night. Probably will be tomorrow before have time to look. Sunex hex bit should be here today or tomorrow.

Sunex hex came in last night. It fits, so it stays. Well goes to BMB.

I'll try this weekend to see if I can get any bolts off with it, as there is some grip when I tried last night.

The driver side intake bolt is out. The pass side intake bolt is sheared off and needs the threaded part removed. Both exhaust bolts still have their heads, tho the passenger side is all kinds of messed up from my abuse with the dremel.

The dremel is toast. So betting on the extractor kit at the moment. Next step welding kit (cause I always wanted one). I mean how hard is it to learn on your really expensive engine? :spin::spin:

I can go portable with my welder if I need to...keep that in mind 'cause it'll cost you the better part of $2k to tool up to weld properly.

That may have to be the case. John can flip you some brews, and I supposed I'll chip in, too, since we focked that bolt together. :spin:

I'll bring the coke and the weed.

You have the replacement bolts already I'm assuming. I bought some but didn't need them. I'll send them to you for shipping if you like, though I know you're the type of guy who thinks of these things.

EDIT: nm, saw you bought some a few posts earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I can go portable with my welder if I need to...keep that in mind 'cause it'll cost you the better part of $2k to tool up to weld properly.

The extractor kit should be here for next weekend's wagon bash event. If you are available and willing to bring it out, we may need it. I sure hope not.

At this point, what's $2k ? A HG replacement job? :eek:

Ha! Negatory, sir. It was very genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure read like it. :lol: Cause I never forget to get stuff (brain fade as laundry list of stuff flys by...).

I followed MrTris's shopping list to the letter. However, he apparently has that forgetfulness problem, too. Not everything he needed was on there, either. Net-net, when this is all done, that list will be fixed up a bit. :spin:

At this point in this project, I can't be frustrated anymore. I may sit in the corner and laugh like a crazy person, but I'm no longer upset about the progress. My wife, OTOH, has a much different perspective. Likely enhanced by finding out how much the storage shed costs. :lol:

The extractor kit should be here for next weekend's wagon bash event. If you are available and willing to bring it out, we may need it. I sure hope not.

At this point, what's $2k ? A HG replacement job? :eek:

Do you happen to have a NEMA 6-50R connection in your garage for a 240v dryer hookup?

I can run on 120v with no problem but it would be better if you have a dryer receptacle that I could plug into.

Looks like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61MSk4QeMoL._SY450_.jpg

Archived