LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's random thoughts while wagon collects dust in the garage

What color to paint head & valve covers?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What color to paint head & valve covers?

• Both cherry blossom (Subaru Pink)
    • Both hello kitty pink
    • Heads no paint, covers cherry blossom
    • Heads no paint, covers hello kitty pink
    • Both no paint
    • Profanity - why would do that?

The extractor kit should be here for next weekend's wagon bash event. If you are available and willing to bring it out, we may need it. I sure hope not.

At this point, what's $2k ? A HG replacement job? :eek:

That's some expensive head!

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you happen to have a NEMA 6-50R connection in your garage for a 240v dryer hookup?

I can run on 120v with no problem but it would be better if you have a dryer receptacle that I could plug into.

Looks like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61MSk4QeMoL._SY450_.jpg

I've got a plug on the wall for a "welder", however, that doesn't look like it. I'll take a pic tonight for you.

Sunex hex came in last night. It fits, so it stays. Well goes to BMB.

I'll try this weekend to see if I can get any bolts off with it, as there is some grip when I tried last night.

The driver side intake bolt is out. The pass side intake bolt is sheared off and needs the threaded part removed. Both exhaust bolts still have their heads, tho the passenger side is all kinds of messed up from my abuse with the dremel.

The dremel is toast. So betting on the extractor kit at the moment. Next step welding kit (cause I always wanted one). I mean how hard is it to learn on your really expensive engine? :spin::spin:

Suggestion on the hex bolt. Not need to "smack it hard", but do tap it in so it's completely bottomed-out in the bolt, then fit your BABB to it.

And, I'm sure you've already reviewed John's video

Sure read like it. :lol: Cause I never forget to get stuff (brain fade as laundry list of stuff flys by...).

I followed MrTris's shopping list to the letter. However, he apparently has that forgetfulness problem, too. Not everything he needed was on there, either. Net-net, when this is all done, that list will be fixed up a bit. :spin:

At this point in this project, I can't be frustrated anymore. I may sit in the corner and laugh like a crazy person, but I no longer upset about the progress. My wife, OTOH, has a much different perspective. Likely enhanced by finding out how much the storage shed costs. :lol:

What I find helpful is to go through, logically from top-to-bottom, side-to-side, and figure out what you think you need.

Commit that to a spread sheet so you can also include the P/N and your cost (* however many of "its" you need). Then go through other's build lists and see what you've missed that they've included and vice versa.

The reason for the spread sheet is that you can keep a running total and pull-out whatever "tool and other incidental costs" you incur, and, hopefully, lower the overall costs that you present to the HFOIC.

Alternatively, you can just keep a log and call it the spread sheet of shame. :lol:

"We were just outside of Barstow when the drugs took hold"

Something like we be "Southbound and Down, Loaded-up and Truckin"...:)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

A pic and the size of the circuit breaker. I have several different 240 plugs I can use but this one is the most common, the others are twist locks like you see in an industrial setting. Like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51I9q7GarlS._SL1000_.jpg

• Moderators
The reason for the spread sheet is that you can keep a running total and pull-out whatever "tool and other incidental costs" you incur, and, hopefully, lower the overall costs that you present to the HFOIC.

It's funny. I'm pretty sure that in the process of picking up all my "timing belt job" parts, I've definitely spent more than it would have cost me to just drop the damn car off at the dealership and have it done :lol:

The plus though, is that at the end of it all I'll add in new cam seals, a LWCP, and a koyo rad, and I'll get rid of the banjo bolt there. The dealer would do none of that, wouldn't get me any additional knowledge on how things go together and work, and wouldn't net me any fun tools that I may never use again ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

A pic and the size of the circuit breaker. I have several different 240 plugs I can use but this one is the most common, the others are twist locks like you see in an industrial setting. Like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51I9q7GarlS._SL1000_.jpg

I think its that one. The electrician & I were standing in Home Depot asking random ppl what the plug on their welder looked like. Settled on a dryer plug figuring I could change it later. It should be 30A, if not 50A.

It's funny. I'm pretty sure that in the process of picking up all my "timing belt job" parts, I've definitely spent more than it would have cost me to just drop the damn car off at the dealership and have it done :lol:

The plus though, is that at the end of it all I'll add in new cam seals, a LWCP, and a koyo rad, and I'll get rid of the banjo bolt there. The dealer would do none of that, wouldn't get me any additional knowledge on how things go together and work, and wouldn't net me any fun tools that I may never use again ;)

Pretty much why I'm doing this. Because I'm sure it'll be more than 2k (estimate from infront) when I get done.

However, working on the miata will be much less daunting.

What he said...particularly the last paragraph. It's the heart of it and where all of the real "gold nuggets" are mined.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

L for locking

5 for 120v

6 for 208v

30, 40, 50 fer da amps.

Commercial voltages are different than residential. Friend explained it to me and forgot why. Just keep the 5 on 110v or 6 for 220v and all will be good in a residential scenario.

Have an extension cord around here with a residential dryer plug to an L6-30R. Used it before the garage rewire to connect the stick welder.

That one I don't have. That's designed for a dryer that has 240v heating elements and 120v controls so the 4th wire is a neutral. However I can buy a plug and make a conversion cable pretty easily.

That one I don't have. That's designed for a dryer that has 240v heating elements and 120v controls so the 4th wire is a neutral. However I can buy a plug and make a conversion cable pretty easily.

Thats a 14-50R.

Yep, that's what you get for putting in the plug before buying the welder. :-)

ridgid extractor kit arrived - talk about a let down. Damned expensive box, should have been bigger, shiny-er, with engrish instructions.

So big things don't come in small packages? You should have gone to Zales.

I can see the logic in buying a shortblock and swapping out the pistons (only) for forged. No forged rods, no bearings, no deciding on ARP studs vs OEM.....

This is the longest YouTube video I've ever watched but worth the time if you've never done this work before, even if you never intend to do the work yourself:

Subaru Mike's Video

Subaru STI Short Block Assembly:

Subaru Cylinder Head Removal

Subaru Cylinder Head Installation:

copied from Shralp's "I blew my motor" thread

re-arranged my work schedule to have the afternoon off today. Going to try out the new bolt extractor kit tonight.

If you're interested in a work party this weekend, let me know. I want to get the heads off and start making some real progress. Storage payment is due in a week. :-)

Man, the way that guy is building motors in a driveway just scares the shit out of me. Not checking the bearing clearances with Plastigage? Holy crap.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Man, the way that guy is building motors in a driveway just scares the shit out of me. Not checking the bearing clearances with Plastigage? Holy crap.

"trust me, I'm an expert"

I've been using the videos to find out what the parts are and how to remove/add them on. The rest, yeah, that's a little too much for my comfort levels

Archived