LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
I'm not just starting. Just picking it back up again. I'm also pretty good at pushing myself. But after 3 miles, I'm useless and completely run out of steam. Tomorrow will be a real challenge. I think that last mile might be more like a 12min mile judging how I felt at the end of the 3rd.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calories/WT00011

Losing the weight is a bit more complicated, as it doesn't burn off the same way it's actually put on... Also, this isn't an exact science, and there are some people that question it's validity, however it kinda makes sense.

Running is ABOUT 100 calories per mile (intensity dependent a bit)... So a 12 mile run, is usually around 1200 calories burned. This doesn't necessarily mean that you will lose ANY weight though... As you have to take into account what your intake of calories are on a given day.

During marathon training, we used to 'treat ourselves' after long runs... So after a 22 mile run, I used to eat a nasty burger, or claim strips, etc... So I certainly made a dent into the calorie deficit. LOL

Anything you do first will burn through glycogen stores and you will do the second less effectively. Of course, this has a greater impact on sustained exercise such as running rather than exercise done in 10-15 second bursts like a set of weights.

I get bored in the gym after about 40 minutes of cardio (usually on the stationary bike), then I do a bunch of pull ups/chin ups, push ups, dips, etc. Usually run out of gas after about 30 minutes of lifting if I do a long cardio session. I have been lazy where it comes to actual bench type exercises.

The best is legs day after doing cardio on the bike. Yeah, that sucks some shit.

I also got a membership at the local pool (open year round) and have been enjoying getting back into swimming. I did about 1200M last night with a few short breaks. I need to work on using my legs more in the water though, I'm all upper body. My free style is pretty good minus the not utilizing my legs as much as I should, combat swimmer's side stroke is also coming along nicely, breast stroke sucks, and back stroke is for pussies so I don't bother.

Oh yeah, and due to my horrendous eating habits I have lost no weight doing all of that plus walking 3 miles or so after dinner when at home. I am working out, swimming, or doing some other activity 4 times a week or more. No change in my weight. Just stronger and more endurance. Kind of frustrating, but I know it is my eating habits.

I get bored in the gym after about 40 minutes of cardio (usually on the stationary bike), then I do a bunch of pull ups/chin ups, push ups, dips, etc. Usually run out of gas after about 30 minutes of lifting if I do a long cardio session. I have been lazy where it comes to actual bench type exercises.

The best is legs day after doing cardio on the bike. Yeah, that sucks some shit.

I also got a membership at the local pool (open year round) and have been enjoying getting back into swimming. I did about 1200M last night with a few short breaks. I need to work on using my legs more in the water though, I'm all upper body. My free style is pretty good minus the not utilizing my legs as much as I should, combat swimmer's side stroke is also coming along nicely, breast stroke sucks, and back stroke is for pussies so I don't bother.

Try jogging or swimming in lieu of the biking. Same workout (caloric burn and cardio wise), in less time.

I already swim when I'm home, but when I am at the away from home terminal hotel I use the gym there. I don't jog anymore because a) I hate it. b) I have a degenerated disc in my lower back and do not wish to compress it with the impact of jogging at this time. c) I hate it.

As it is my biking season this year was non existent on the real bike because I worry about my damn back. Maybe next year I'll get a full suspension outfit for a softer ride and get back at it.

I've now put on 5lb's again after losing 20 over the summer. It is totally from my eating habits as I have gotten addicted to the sweets again to stay awake while at work in the afternoon. Currently have a coke and cookies in fact.. FML

With the weather cooling down though here in the next few weeks I plan to get biking and running as well as getting back on the correct eating path.

I've now put on 5lb's again after losing 20 over the summer. It is totally from my eating habits as I have gotten addicted to the sweets again to stay awake while at work in the afternoon. Currently have a coke and cookies in fact.. FML

With the weather cooling down though here in the next few weeks I plan to get biking and running as well as getting back on the correct eating path.

I'm in the same boat. Get called at 02:30 for some shitty train I don't want with no sleep and I will be drinking Red Bull and coffee, plus eating snack food to stay awake.

Plus after a workout, especially a 30 minute to 45 minute swim I am ravenously irrationally hungry. :spin: :spin: :spin:

Diet is by far the hardest part to maintain for me. But I've successfully cut out pop/soda/coke/energy drinks/etc... (whatever you may call it) and fast food which has produced very good results. Trying to focus on eating more fresh produce and lean meat. (Also researching juicing)

Getting to the gym I have no problem with, trouble is I generally go by myself and often lose focus/drive/keeping up the intensity. Rest between sets often gets longer and water breaks get more frequent/longer. Also difficult to max out/do negatives on bench/squat/etc... without a spotter. I generally don't like interrupting other people's workouts to ask for one either.

Also it's a week to week thing on whether to bulk or cut.. :spin: :/

• Mega Users
Going back tomorrow and aiming for 4 miles in 30 mins.

Update on this...didn't happen. :lol:

I did about 3.5 miles this time, in about 30 minutes. The last 3/4mile took almost 10 minutes. Lack of sleep can really mess with you. I had to force myself to run since I was exhausted.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived