LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After dabbling some meals last year, I've decided to go full paleo diet. Eight days now. I'd like to drop another 10 lbs. That still puts me in the 'overweight' category for BMI, but I think it's a realistic goal.

Goal is to go 90%+ Paleo for the month of January. Wife is allergic to wheat and corn so we are most the way there already. Dairy is hard to give up. Will have some occasional yogurt or cultured dairy. Soaking walnuts and almonds then drying in the oven. Not going to do the no carb thing, but have sub'ed in better carbs such as squash, yucca, etc. 2-3 servings of fruit a day. Still having a glass or two of wine or cider a night. Have cut out the beer and spirits for now though.

I've lost 5lbs since mid December. Started Paleo on the 2nd. Didn't weigh in at that time. Was pretty good over the holidays, considering it was the holidays. Need to work out more and stick to the "diet". Ten more pounds and then re-evaluate...

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

started CrossFit on Saturday. Started Paleo diet on Monday. Have gained 3 lbs already. :-) This is not the direction I was expecting to go. On the plus side, I can climb the stairs to my office without seeing stars.

Motivation: Wife said she will take lapping school if I can make the required weight for my race class - 185.

Primary goal for me is to get rid of the hip joint pain that I have due to surgery. Light exercise until then.

Curious. What did you have done? I'm looking at a few different options for FAI/labral tears + partial detachment. The knife seems likely at this point, looking for folks who've had similar experiences.

Goals this year:

1. Meal and training compliance 95%. Currently in cutting phase and I'm holding steady at 99% compliance (meal)

2. Grow my new gym/studio to afford a larger space in the next 90 days. Today marks the beginning of week 2 opened.

3. Continue with my own boxing/fight sports training with my old coach. Currently only twice/week since I now have a gym and clients to attend after work.

4. Get back into Jits, maybe private lessons on weekends (only time available). Possibly look at competing if I'm any good. As much as I love boxing, I am tired of getting punched in the face these days.

5. Running. again. Mud runs, fun runs, 5K, 5 miles, 10K, and at least one half marathon this year. Last year I only did one event, Warrior Dash in which I injured myself for the remainder of the year.

6. Complete my damn Nutrition Certification finally so I stop throwing money away (because last time I failed to read the syllabus and do the homework assignments).

Honestly, my physical goals this year are the same as every year: GET RIPPED. This time, I am learning more flexibility in my eating and so far, doing very well. I've gained 18 lbs over my fight weight in June 2012 (115 lb) however, no one can tell since I still fit in my size 0 pants. Of course, my quads are getting bigger so they're a tight fit there, but my waist is the same. Shirts on the other hand.... I'm having to go with Small to Medium size and double checking to ensure they fit over my arms. Fit girl problems.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Starting going to the gym in the basement of my new office. I honestly have no real goal right now other than to go three-to-five times a week--five is ambitious, but with my current setup I don't have to go outside to get to the gym and on most days unless I'm really busy I can basically get paid to workout, talk about no more excuses...Plan to do about 40min of cardio and 20 minutes of light lifting / body weight exercises at the moment, maybe some sort of circuit training for days when I'm trying to be quick about things.

I'm about 20lbs overweight and probably as weak as I've ever been so I guess my goal is to be a less fat-ish stronger guy :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Starting going to the gym in the basement of my new office. I honestly have no real goal right now other than to go three-to-five times a week--five is ambitious, but with my current setup I don't have to go outside to get to the gym and on most days unless I'm really busy I can basically get paid to workout, talk about no more excuses...Plan to do about 40min of cardio and 20 minutes of light lifting / body weight exercises at the moment, maybe some sort of circuit training for days when I'm trying to be quick about things.

I'm about 20lbs overweight and probably as weak as I've ever been so I guess my goal is to be a less fat-ish stronger guy :lol:

Get swole bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nice they have a gym for you.

I would probably suggest switching the cardio and strength training times around. 20 mins cardio and 40 mins with a lifting program. :)

Also, overall good health and fitness is a fantastic goal.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

That's nice they have a gym for you.

I would probably suggest switching the cardio and strength training times around. 20 mins cardio and 40 mins with a lifting program. :)

Also, overall good health and fitness is a fantastic goal.

Weight lifting is a huge factor in weight loss. With cardio, your body is only really working hard while you're exercising. When you do weight/resistance training, your body continues to work outside the gym as it rebuilds muscle.

I haven't worked out long or consistently enough to really show the results, I'm a big advocate of the big 4 - squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press.

Cardio bores the hell out of me, so instead, some days I do low rep/high weight lifts, some days I'll do high rep/lower weight lifts. When I'm doing the higher rep days, I try to be more explosive with the lifts, and rest less between sets.

A program like crossfit can really increase your appetite. So it's likely a wash between the calories burned/raised metabolism, and the increase in food intake!

Sounds like you're making great strides though! Nice work.

Weight lifting is a huge factor in weight loss. With cardio, your body is only really working hard while you're exercising. When you do weight/resistance training, your body continues to work outside the gym as it rebuilds muscle.

I haven't worked out long or consistently enough to really show the results, I'm a big advocate of the big 4 - squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press.

Cardio bores the hell out of me, so instead, some days I do low rep/high weight lifts, some days I'll do high rep/lower weight lifts. When I'm doing the higher rep days, I try to be more explosive with the lifts, and rest less between sets.

Cardio does in fact raise your metabolism, and continues to burn after you're done; however weights do a better job. However, you're able to burn more during the actual exercise (most of the time), when you doing a kick ass cardio.

If you want to lose weight, eat better. Cardio will help the weight loss a bit, while giving you some heart and body benefits as well.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose cardio.

I have yet to find a form of cardio that keeps me engaged lol. I'm trying jump road this time around. Going to be doing that in between assistance work sets.

Been following the 5/3/1 boring but big program for a few cycles, starting my 4th next week. Love it, results are there. Break rep PR's almost every week. One I'm most proud of is my deadlift, pulled 385 for 7 easy reps last week. That used to only be a triple for me.

I guess my "goal" is to continue getting more awesome.

With the rotator cuff still in semi-recovery/strengthen mode, I'm going to break-out the Nordic Track and have a go 3x a week, for about 20 mins. Low resistance to start and build up slowly.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived