LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

^^^Start and finish w/beer. Awesome.

There's a legendary gal in the trail running community that has a history of getting kinda rowdy. Once before a race, she downed a pitcher of beer and ate an entire pizza. It came up pretty quickly on the trail, of course, but she went on to win the race. It was a 100-miler:lol:.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^Start and finish w/beer. Awesome.

There's a legendary gal in the trail running community that has a history of getting kinda rowdy. Once before a race, she downed a pitcher of beer and ate an entire pizza. It came up pretty quickly on the trail, of course, but she went on to win the race. It was a 100-miler:lol:.

She's my kind of runner. All these planners working their charts and creeping up on minutes/mile times. Just show up & do it. Conquer the pain now, drink beer later.

Every time I tell friends something like before an activity, my wife calls the ER to make sure they are not busy.

I remember reading about a triathlon in Idaho that had the bike part first, then running, and now that you're hurting, you swam in a river. There's no record of it now, however, I always thought that'd be a fun race.

Training would be a bitch, because river swimming is hard to begin with and doing it when you are fatigued is beyond most people's mental limits.

Kind of like the Ironman Hawaii or Tour d'France. A true test of your mental attitude.

• 2 weeks later...
25lbs lost since Thanksgiving.. 15lbs since New Years. I'm almost over the first plateau of my weight goal.

Still going strong with low carb. diet and 5 day per week visit to the gym. Weighed 325lb on Thanksgiving 2013. Down to 285lbs today. That's 40lbs lost in about 15 weeks with two weeks off during Christmas/New Years break.

To be honest you dont need any of it. Energy is all in what you eat and your sleep schedule. Stay away from artificial sugars, substitute more natural forms of sweetener, like honey.

If you are looking to lose weight leave the whey protein alone.

Pre workouts are a waste of money, that being said I know they are a waste but I use it anyway. I personally like c4 but use it in small amounts.

I can get you some good resources if you pm me your email address. Big thing is you need to exercise in a way that is going to help you meet your goal. Dont just "go to the gym," make sure you understand what its going to take to meet your goals.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What's their benefit? I heard one helps you recover your muscles post-workout and I believe pre-workout gives your muscles an extra push?

I don't have a good, balanced diet. Since I'm low carb, I don't eat much. My typical day is: boiled eggs and coffee in the morning, perhaps a chicken breast in the afternoon and more coffee, asparagus, kale, broccoli, salad, chicken, beef or fish for dinner. If I have snack cravings or dessert I eat pork rinds, sunflower seeds, veggies, whipped cream on sugar free jello.

What's their benefit? I heard one helps you recover your muscles post-workout and I believe pre-workout gives your muscles an extra push?

I don't have a good, balanced diet. Since I'm low carb, I don't eat much. My typical day is: boiled eggs and coffee in the morning, perhaps a chicken breast in the afternoon and more coffee, asparagus, kale, broccoli, salad, chicken, beef or fish for dinner. If I have snack cravings or dessert I eat pork rinds, sunflower seeds, veggies, whipped cream on sugar free jello.

Pre-workout supplements are usually caffeine and nitric oxide boosters like l-arginine. Caffeine for energy, and nitric oxide increases vascularity - more blood flow should mean more fuel to your muscles, but I'm not sure if preworkout supplements are scientifically proven. They do make you look more pumped up during/right after working out, which can be a motivation booster.

I have White Flood for a preworkout supplement, but don't take it often. I usually workout after work, around 5:30-6, and I don't like having caffeine that late. I do use it for weekend workouts.

I also have whey protein, that I drink right after working out.

Creatine is scientifically proven to increase lean muscle mass gains, but diet, exercise, and sleep are biggest factors.

Good resource - http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements

I take CoQ10, Magnesium, and calcium. I'll usually eat a serving of fruit .5-1 hr prior to work out if it has been a while since a meal. Usually it's an apple.

I'm a bit of a supplement junkie. Daily I take Fish Oil, Flax, Green Tea extract, Zinc, Vit D, garlic, cinnamon, men's multi, ginseng, milk thistle, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.

I'll take creatine sometimes before a long work out. I notice I have a better energy level for quite a while and less hunger through out the day with creatine. Also have discovered coconut water this year for re-hydration. More potassium than a banana with out as much sugar. I stay away from "sports drinks" now.

Google "youtube the truth about sugar"

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I read a study not to long ago that essentially refuted the complex carb (vs 'other' carbs) allegation, that complex carbs cause more weight gain. It was interesting. I'll be damned if I can find it. Probably was in Runners World.

If the supplements I take actually didn't do anything for me, I'd still be pretty alright with it. Being that I'm MUCH more motivated to go to the gym or push through a tougher workout after taking them or using them in recovery, than I am when not taking anything. Damn it it spent money on this shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the supplements I take actually didn't do anything for me, I'd still be pretty alright with it. Being that I'm MUCH more motivated to go to the gym or push through a tougher workout after taking them or using them in recovery, than I am when not taking anything. Damn it it spent money on this shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I take a combination multivitamin/fish oil/vitamin D also:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LR7WOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: SmartyPants Vitamins Adult Gummy Multivitamins Plus Omega 3's Plus Vitamin D 180 Gummies (30 Day Supply): Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Archived