LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My buddy always goes out for 25-30 milers. He's constantly invites me along for their conversational pace rides of 15-16 mph on average.

I always pass. Lol

Biking is awesome. It just takes 3 times as long to get the same workout benefit as a moderate run.

Cute boy is an avid rider and does 40-50 miles most weekends. Average pace about the same as your friends. Maybe some day I'll ride with him. For now, baby steps :) I think I'll go again today since the weather is PERFECT!

Some people make that argument... It's the comparison of say 1 hour of cardio vs 30 minutes of a more intense cardio. The benefit is a bit closer than we would like to think.

However, as far as stamina goes... Running will benefit you much more.

Some people make that argument... It's the comparison of say 1 hour of cardio vs 30 minutes of a more intense cardio. The benefit is a bit closer than we would like to think.

However, as far as stamina goes... Running will benefit you much more.

They also say it takes 25-30 mins of cardio before you start to see fat loss benifits. Thats why you should do weights first to "warm-up" :spin:

Eh.

I don't really buy into the overall fat burning zone bullshit personally.

Fat is unburned calories. Doing something burns calories. It comes out to simple math at the end of the day.

1 pound of fat, is 3500 unburned calories. Or about 6 Big Macs. LOL

given equal distances, running faster will produce greater health benefits and burn more calories after the workout is over

can't disagree there... But as far as calories burned, etc... it's close.

Also, a light weight routine will have a more lasting effect on your metabolism than most cardio workouts. However, the cardio will typically burn much more calories DURING your workout.

I often tell people that are looking to lose weight (and have very limited time).... Take 45 minutes, and walk/run... Work towards all running eventually. Eat right. The pounds will shed.

Yes, I'm talking about moderate-intensity walking (vs slow-walk/stop-and-go walking) having equivalent benefits to running the same distance, at least from a health-risk reduction perspective. More info here
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The demographic of that study is a bit jaded... I read it quickly, but if you're talking about hypertension, etc... It sounds like the majority of participants have had their fair share of cardio problems to begin with, or were heading in that direction.

If you have a heart problem, starting a running routine right off the bat, isn't going to be sustainable.

• Mega Users

I've been eating healthy and cutting back on the beer over the last month. Also started running again when I can as well as working out every day. So far, I've lost about 10 lbs. Feeling much better!

I've been running 2.1 miles of trail 2-3 times a week due to lack of time. I ran 3 miles yesterday in a little over 20 minutes. Going back tomorrow and aiming for 4 miles in 30 mins.

Archived