LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

:lol:

Not an elliptical fan. My thoughts are, if you have limited time for your workout, make your cardio count. The 'calories burned' on the elliptical machine is a friggin joke. Also, it forces you into a stride or gait, that may not be great for your alignment. If I had a dollar for every one that tells me that the elliptical is better on their knees than running (or whatever else they don't like doing), Id easily have enough to pay for a month of my gym membership. For me, the elliptical causes a lot of knee and IT pain. After talking to my PT and ortho about it, they both advised me to steer clear of the elliptical, and that they don't recommend it for rehabbing, or people with knee issues.

/elliptical rant

:lol:

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
I hate running. That said, try walking at an incline--set the incline to 10 or more and walk at 3-3.5 mph. It's low impact, you'll get a similar heart rate going to that of running, and it doesn't suck nearly as bad :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
That works.

There aren't too many cardio workouts that offer as much result (for time committed), as running or swimming.

I could believe that. As a runner, next time you're on a treadmill set it at 3.5mph and the highest incline--would be curious to see how that works for you given that you are (from what I gather) in fairly decent shape. Maybe not as effective for someone like you (although I'd bet it's still a pretty good workout), but for so many of us who "aren't quite there yet" it seems really effective and really NOT intimidating which is important.

I know that after 40 minutes of it I'm usually pouring a pretty good sweat and feel great afterwards.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I hate running. That said, try walking at an incline--set the incline to 10 or more and walk at 3-3.5 mph. It's low impact, you'll get a similar heart rate going to that of running, and it doesn't suck nearly as bad :lol:

That's what I've reverted to, I much prefer the "intensified" uphill walk to running, on a treadmill.

Somewhere between 17-16 min miles at an incline of 8-10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could believe that. As a runner, next time you're on a treadmill set it at 3.5mph and the highest incline--would be curious to see how that works for you given that you are (from what I gather) in fairly decent shape. Maybe not as effective for someone like you (although I'd bet it's still a pretty good workout), but for so many of us who "aren't quite there yet" it seems really effective and really NOT intimidating which is important.

I know that after 40 minutes of it I'm usually pouring a pretty good sweat and feel great afterwards.

That is definitely a workout. You're likely getting a bit more of a strength workout, compared to a vigorous run or jog, but it's a workout nonetheless. Having done a variety of different interval formats on a treadmill, I've done slow inclines before. They hurt. They burn. And they suck! But as far as cardio goes, a spirited run is a bit more intensive.

With all that being said, I'd do that over a treadmill or a cycle any day of the week.

Cycling is great, but also very time intensive.

have you tried doing the incline walk/jog with a weighted vest? A stairmaster has the same effect, too. Especially with a vest added. If you really need a challenge, add a training mask. I used a bandana (low-tech).

used to train for long backpacking trips by loading the pack at 150% of expected load and walking the flat trails around my neighborhood. Now I use a daypack filled with sand bags to walk the dog.

That works.

There aren't too many cardio workouts that offer as much result (for time committed), as running or swimming.

Pool should be open April 1st, so hoping both shoulder and body are ready by then.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's what I've reverted to, I much prefer the "intensified" uphill walk to running, on a treadmill.

Somewhere between 17-16 min miles at an incline of 8-10.

Did 2 miles on a treadmill with an incline of 8 and a few sprints mixed in. Then switched to an elliptical for another 20 minutes. Feel like I'm hitting/using different leg muscles on both machines.

Prior to the above I usually do about 40 minutes of strength exercies:

standup calf

seated leg press

leg extensions

pectoral fly

rear deltoids

chest press

bicep curls

triceps extensions

abdominal

low back extension

seated dip

unfortunately my half marathon training has resorted to weekend long runs only... With the occasional 3 miler during the week. I sense an injury in my near future!!! :lol:

On the other hand, its amazing how much my cardio has stayed with me over the last year or so... Unfortunately, my muscles have not, as im sore as shit after each run! I will have to start adding an additional weekday run or two. Damn snow and -8 temps have made that difficult (coupled with a 1 yr old).

The wife REALLLLLLY wants to get a treadmill in house. Ugh. They take up so much damn space! and I refuse to put one in the finished part of the house! Not to mention that a decent on starts at $2k

The wife wanted a treadmill, so we tried a bunch of them. She couldn't find one she liked for less than 4k. Then she tried an elliptical, which we bought. She used it quite a bit the first week. However, last 2 weeks it sits , unused, like a monstrosity in the living room. I expect it to become a clothes hanger shortly.

You are rich though, so what's the problem??

Why do you say that? Spec.b, isn't it? :)

The wife wanted a treadmill, so we tried a bunch of them. She couldn't find one she liked for less than 4k. Then she tried an elliptical, which we bought. She used it quite a bit the first week. However, last 2 weeks it sits , unused, like a monstrosity in the living room. I expect it to become a clothes hanger shortly.

Ugh. I hear that. I think if we end up with one, we'll go through a used fitness equipment place and get a professional (lightly used) model. We'll see what's up when the time comes. Im hoping she forgets about it once it gets warmer!

• 3 weeks later...

Hit PR at crossfit today. 125lb bench press & 90lb clean/jerk. Gawd I hate being old and out of shape. Was frustrated with low numbers so did squats and bench press at 50% of PR until I couldn't complete a set.

On the plus side, you can't bang the gears on a MT if you have exhausted your arms with bench press. Took care of the asshat driving problems too, so exhausted I can barely drive at same speed as traffic.

Hit PR at crossfit today. 125lb bench press & 90lb clean/jerk. Gawd I hate being old and out of shape. Was frustrated with low numbers so did squats and bench press at 50% of PR until I couldn't complete a set.

On the plus side, you can't bang the gears on a MT if you have exhausted your arms with bench press. Took care of the asshat driving problems too, so exhausted I can barely drive at same speed as traffic.

Congrats on the PR. No matter what the weight is, it's still YOUR PR. We arent all at the Froning level. If you want to get your lift numbers up, look into the Wendler 5-3-1 program. PM me your email address and i can sent you an excel file that is great at tracking your progress. I for one have always beent he skinny guy. My 1 RM max just hit 225 on the the bench last week, they guy i work with maxes out at 325 so its a gut check but ill get there someday.

Congrats on the PR. No matter what the weight is, it's still YOUR PR. We arent all at the Froning level. If you want to get your lift numbers up, look into the Wendler 5-3-1 program. PM me your email address and i can sent you an excel file that is great at tracking your progress. I for one have always beent he skinny guy. My 1 RM max just hit 225 on the the bench last week, they guy i work with maxes out at 325 so its a gut check but ill get there someday.

pm sent.

lol about froning. was watching vids of him setting PRs this week. there's no drama, he just gets it done.

yeah I was frustrated by the low numbers until I remembered my real goal....to increase my performance in the racecar. I spent an hour doing reps to fatigue everything. I was more impressed by that than the PR numbers. Still have a long way to go to catch "The Stig", who was doing 240 on the bench regularly.

I've been slacking a little bit since Christmas....did some squats for the first time in a few weeks last week. Legs were so exhausted that when I left the gym, stepping from the curb down to the parking lot, I almost ate pavement. When I put my leading foot down, my knee just wobbled/gave out a bit. Fortunately managed to recover and not wipe out.

Check this link:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

Guidelines of strength standards by gender, fitness level, and body weight, for a few main lifts.

Archived