LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

From the Mayo Clinic Link on Creatine:

Overall, creatine appears to have modest benefits for intense, repetitive exercise lasting less than 30 seconds. It does not appear to have significant benefits on endurance aerobic exercise.

Caffeine may counteract the benefit of creatine on intermittent exercise performance. Furthermore, creatine in combination with caffeine and ephedra may have adverse effects. However, more research is needed in this area to confirm these interactions.

Looks like Creatine and Caffeine together may be counter-beneficial.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goal of late: prehab. Anyone had any hip work done? Not looking forward to the procedure, but trying to get ahead of some of the imbalances/weaknesses that are bound to develop in the 4-7 months I'm out.

Any flexor, psoas, lower back, etc. stuff I may not be familiar with?

^I wish it were piriformis! That was actually the first diagnoses I received, nearly two years ago. It was way off! Turns out I have FAI. Ultrarunning + lifting has shredded and detached the labrum. So I'm getting a new one, along with no small amount of bone shaving, and possibly microfracture. No fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I went for a run yesterday, something I haven't done in around 4 years (lived at the beach during summer of 2010 and ran a couple times per week there). I've been weight training regularly since last October, but usually higher weight/lower rep workouts - and I don't use the cardio equipment - so my conditioning level is practically zilch.

I even had some encouragement along the way - I had only been running for maybe 2-3 minutes when I passed by an older guy walking on the side walk, going the opposite direction as me. He stuck his hand out and gave me five :)

I ran about 1.25 miles - had a 1.5 mile route planned, but switched to walking a little early.

I have two goals. Run 3 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace, and get back to my middle school speed for single mile runs of a ~7 minute mile (best time was 6:4x).

Is it douchey to run shirtless?

• Mega Users
When I ran in FL, I'd take the shirt off when I was in the woods. When I'd get to parts of a trail with a lot of people, I'd put it back on. I don't think anyone wants to see my pasty mantitties.

I almost always run with my shirt on. The only time I can remember taking it off, is when running in aruba, and the run was over 4-5 miles (Sooooo hot and humid there!).

Studies have shown that runners are much more healthy than the average person, inclusive of knee and joint health. With ONE exception - Sun cancer.

I almost always run with my shirt on. The only time I can remember taking it off, is when running in aruba, and the run was over 4-5 miles (Sooooo hot and humid there!).

Studies have shown that runners are much more healthy than the average person, inclusive of knee and joint health. With ONE exception - Sun cancer.

I would run naked if I can get over the slap slap slap :eek:

Half marathon completed. Worst time for me ever, but biggest accomplishment. Did just over 10's. Only ran 12 or so training runs.

Congrats!!!

Goal: Sub-21 5K on Sunday :spin:

Came in 2 seconds under :cool:

Next up is a 1/.2 but its months away then the full :spin:

That's a great 5k time! I'm sure that put you in the top 5%!!

You Beat my best of 21:36!!!

Thanks!

Overall: 183 of 3346

Age Grade: 62.01%

Men: 152 of 1439

Pace calculator says I wont make my target in the marathon though. I need to train harder!! :spin:

Those pace calculators are a joke... based on those I should have always run a 345 marathon or something.... I didn't come close. LOL

If your body likes the distance stuff better, it doesn't take into account that variable.

• 3 weeks later...
Still going strong with low carb. diet and 5 day per week visit to the gym. Weighed 325lb on Thanksgiving 2013. Down to 285lbs today. That's 40lbs lost in about 15 weeks with two weeks off during Christmas/New Years break.

Two month update. Down to 260 as of this morning. At this pace I should be at 220 by September and roughly 205 by this Thanksgiving. If all goes well that'll be 120 lbs in one year. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Should be. I have extra motivation I haven't shared yet. I'm freaking beat right now though. I don't take any supplements, but I've been going hard this week. Yesterday I did 4 miles on the elliptical after an hour of my general lifting routine. Then I jumped on the treadmill and ran two miles followed by multiple situp and pushups throughout the day and an hour and a half of hockey at night. Running is the hardest part for me, but I'm trying to get better at it. As the weight melts, I should be able to run longer distances. I'm even moving to a new house right next to a quarter mile track. If that's not motivation to go out and run, don't know what is.

Archived