LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what do you mean? OEM sti clutch made by exedy or aftermarket Exedy in STI fitment ?

I was referring to the Subaru factory STI clutch made by Exedy. There is also a Subaru factory HD STI clutch also made by Exedy. I will try to find the part numbers.

I was referring to the Subaru factory STI clutch made by Exedy. There is also a Subaru factory HD STI clutch also made by Exedy. I will try to find the part numbers.

I think the HD ones might be here on page 15:

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/spt/perf_parts_catalog.pdf

st302104s000 STi HD clutch cover

st301004S020 STi HD clutch disk

There is a review of it here on the second page:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/drivetrain-components/107053-spt-clutch-kit-worth.html

"The motor does rev a little faster.... It mainly is just a pain in my ass since this clutch is so much more grabby and hard to push down/release." Note that this reviewer also installed the 15.8lb STi lightweight flywheel.

In the Subaru catalog they note that "Some clutch judder may result when clutch is partially engaged". I wonder how that would compare to the FX350?

After 2500 miles my FX350 has gotten significantly better. That's not really much consolation though if you are dealing with what I dealt with prior to 2000 miles or so...

Do you think it's getting better or are you just getting better at modulating the on/off switch :lol:

I've been in the same boat since about 600 miles on my FX350. I'm now at 1800 miles and hoping it gets better. I'm still not convinced that it's not just an operator issue.

• Moderators
Likely a bit of both, but I believe the clutch itself has significantly changed. My wife drove the car once a while ago when it was bad. She recently drove it for a second time this weekend and also noticed that it's much better. I'd say the improvement is at least 80-90% clutch related...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I agree - the take off shudder is/was the worst facet of this clutch upgrade for me too. Now that I have truly broken this in with many miles it is much much better. Completely avoidable now with a different takeoff, but even if I don't rev up, it's not nearly as violent as before. My glovebox will never be the same and I have some new rattles that started after going through the clutch break in period (which is more like 5K miles to eliminate this issue).

Other than that though this thing holds great, super friendly pedal effort, predictable engagement, and smooth between all gear changes. Can't wait to throw more power at it!

• Moderators

Nope. FWIW, I hould be selling my FX350 setup shortly. Ideally I'd like to sell the whole setup with TSK3, newly installed flywheel, and clutch pieces--should allow the new owner to bypass most of the really rough "shudder" stage since the clutch parts will already be broken in.

Am I supposed to mark the parts somehow when removing a clutch with the plans to reinstall?

• Moderators
What are you going to install in place of the FX350?

A spec.b 6mt :D:lol:

Probably worth mentioning that up until about 1500 mile I was planning to go back to a stock clutch. At this point with where the clutch is, I probably wouldn't change anything if I wasn't moving to a 6mt.

FWIW, I hould be selling my FX350 setup shortly. Ideally I'd like to sell the whole setup with TSK3, newly installed flywheel, and clutch pieces--should allow the new owner to bypass most of the really rough "shudder" stage since the clutch parts will already be broken in.
Dibs! :D

Does anyone have experience with both the FX300 and FX350?

I had a FX300 and FX350 installed on the same car. The pressure plate was defective on the FX300 and ruined the clutch, so CM sent me a FX350 as a replacement.

The FX300 was smooth as butter and had good clutch feel. The FX350 shakes my car like an earthquake in 1st and 2nd gear.

• Moderators
Have people reported the shudder to CM and what was their response?

Their response to me was that my swap to a SMFW is the cause...:rolleyes:

My own opinion is that you seem to have a choice between increased holding capacity from a much stouter pressure plate (resulting in a heavy clutch pedal) or from an increase in overall friction. The latter is the direction that CM seems to go since pedal feel is the same or lighter than stock. The downside to both choice is obvious--heavy clutch pedal or increased shudder from friction surfaces. Pick your poison, I guess. As the parts wear on the 350 at least they seem to be getting better. For something like an ACT clutch the pedal will be heavy forever and if you go with a LWFW you'll experience shudder / decel chatter as well.

ATTENTION EVERYONE WITH EXCESSIVE CHATTER, DRIVETRAIN SLOP, INABILITY TO CRUISE LOW RPMS, ETC.

The group-N motor mounts completely eliminated all of these issues. it really is the magical solution to all of the issues, and nvh isn't too noticeable. I love everything about my 5mt setup now, and I highly suggest this mod to anyone past stage 1. I would put the car back up in the air and take the mounts out, just so I could do it over again. Thanks to Rick from Underdog!

Archived