LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

Looks like I'm in the running for the WRX SMFW/FX350 combo. I'm not looking forward to replacing a clutch I just replaced last August, but it is what it is.

Does anyone have experience with the South Bend 400 ft lb daily DXD?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 10k on my ACT HD + SMFW + TSK3 kit (16g BNR turbo)... Absoultely hating this clutch... Low RPM shudder, feels like it is slipping, throwout bearing noise... I do like the pedal feel though...

This isn't my first manual trans car (gt35r Jetta 1.8t and a modded 335 coupe) and it feels like it's my first... I am about to rip this thing apart and see what the deal is... Money is aside already for worst case scenario.

Bumping this up for more impressions of the FX350.

I have one customer reporting very severe chatter during take-off, outside of the break-in period, but his mechanic recently identified a worn/broken transmission mount as the possible cause. We are working to resolve this currently.

Another customer is dissatisfied with the amount of chatter, saying he only get's smooth engagement ~1/3 of the time. Details are still pending for this case.

That leaves between one and two dozen customers who have either posted in this thread already, or are silent. Your feedback helps the community, vendors, and ultimately the manufacturers, so post up!

The first customer did not, or at least he didn't buy it from me and/or tell me he installed it. He declined the offer during the promotion.

The second customer did buy it.

Anyone posting impressions should note the flywheel (SMFW or LWFW), whether or not they installed the TSK3, how many miles, and lastly as much detailed feedback as they care to provide.

I'll add an update. I've been monitoring the other people's issues in other threads as well.

CM FX350/SMFW/TSK3 w/ GroupN trans mount and crossmember bushings all installed simultaneously.

I'm at about 1100 miles post installation (Although I'd say 800 miles of this is highway not stop and go). I do get some pretty significant shudder on take off intermittently. Seems to be when it's nice and warmed up. Morning commute I can essentially take off with zero throttle input smoothly. Once it is nice and heated up about 30% of take offs will result in shudder without about 2200RPM revs or more. Other 70% of the time it's normal on take off with little throttle input. Seems less frequent now that I'm getting more stop and go driving in. All other shifts in motion are super smooth.

I'm considering some additional mounts to replace other bushings for the drivetrain. I do know with the new trans mount that isn't my issue. I've adapted to the clutch and take offs, and if I forget to give it a quick blip on take off while it's been heated up, it will shudder badly and rattle that POS dashboard like an earthquake.

I kind of chalked this up to being a higher performance clutch, less mass with the SMFW (and I have a LWCP), and that my break in did not consist of all stop and go miles. I'll continue to update as I proceed to get time in on the clutch.

Since it seems like a lot of people are experiencing shudder with this setup, how much of it is related to the GroupN trans mount but OEM motor mounts? That, along with cutting 10-15# from the flywheel and crankpulley, plus adding a sticky clutch to the mix seems like a good recipe for chatter.

I'm going back to the OEM CP and WRX SMFW with the TSK3 and ACT HDSS clutch installed. I have bushings throughout, minus the motor mounts. If I still have a decent amount of chatter, I may try to throw in motor mounts at some point and see if it changes things.

• Moderators
And for the record--my "shudder" is completely controllable really. It only happens under certain circumstances and it's honestly because I drive like a grandma except when I don't...if that makes sense...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Just for clarification - I'm still really happy with my clutch. I knew I wasn't going OEM. I'm intentionally giving up comfort for performance and don't expect a modded car to still have the characteristics that Subaru intended to please a much larger demographic. When I throw in a bigger turbo, injectors and E85 - I need a strong clutch :cool:

ACT HD + OEM SMFW + TSK3

OEM Crank Pulley

Group.N Engine/Pitch/Trans mounts. *edit* I'm actually running Whiteline crossmember bushings...

28,000+ miles at JDM twinscroll stage 2 and still going strong.

Nick, have you not seen my mod list? Here it is with some crappy old pics. I will try to get some new pics after the next round of changes.

Just for clarification - I'm still really happy with my clutch. I knew I wasn't going OEM. I'm intentionally giving up comfort for performance and don't expect a modded car to still have the characteristics that Subaru intended to please a much larger demographic. When I throw in a bigger turbo, injectors and E85 - I need a strong clutch :cool:

That was my intention when I installed a LWFW, LWCP and an ACT clutch. Unfortunately the chatter took its toll on my pilot bearing(hopefully this is the cause of its failure). I'll let you know how the car drives once I install the SMFW.

ACT HD + OEM SMFW + TSK3

OEM Crank Pulley

Group.N Engine/Pitch/Trans/Xmember bushings...

28,000+ miles at JDM twinscroll stage 2 and still going strong.

Nick, have you not seen my mod list? Here it is with some crappy old pics. I will try to get some new pics after the next round of changes.

I had not looked at your mod list yet... But you're essentially running all of the drivetrain components I'll be running at the end of the week. Hopefully I'll also be happy with my clutch:lol:

CMfx350

wrx smfw

tsk3 kit

oem bushings

it seems to me that the "chatter" occurs excessively in a specific window of rpms.

If i let the clutch out at low rpms (stop n go traffic moving one block at a time) where im barely applying any gas, it engages smoothly.

If i let the clutch out at ~2k rpms and am driving slightly aggressively, it engages smoothly.

If i let the clutch out in the oem range, 1k-1.5k rpms, then probably one out of three times i get the severe chatter people are complaining about.

I haven't had a chance to really launch with the clutch yet as my tune seems to be having issues with overboosting and Shamar is MIA lately.

This "chatter" is totally unknown for me. Really smooth but extremely grabby as described earlier. Still break-in though. Only new noise I get is below 1500rpm when accelerating a bit harder with higher gear. This is not when shifting, just pressing pedal. Very likely just some drivetrain/torsonal vibration noise previously isolated by DMFW.

- CM FX350

- new OEM SMFW

- TSK3-kit

- All rest OEM/not touched during my ownership

i paid a little more attention to what rpm point i shift at yesterday and i seem to be shifting up around 2.5k when it's smooth.

If i dip below 2k is when i get some chatter.

I'm at around 1800 miles post-breakin and it has definitely gotten smoother, i only get chatter maybe 10% of the time when starting from a stop. It's probably less than that.

I read some where not about this clutch but the group n mount. The fella had really bad shutter with just the transmount then went ahead and did the pitch stop mount and motor mounts and it drastically decreased shutter.

I read some where not about this clutch but the group n mount. The fella had really bad shutter with just the transmount then went ahead and did the pitch stop mount and motor mounts and it drastically decreased shutter.

Yes I read that as well. Doing all at once is better than just doing one which makes sense. Reducing play in one spot will cause the play to travel excessively to the other weak points

I was just pondering this same logic last night. When one area is stiffened up, the forces have to go somewhere. I was planning the GroupN motor mounts and saw UD had the pitch stop too. I also am planning WL rear diff bushings as well. Looks like all those just moved up the priority list.

I was just pondering this same logic last night. When one area is stiffened up, the forces have to go somewhere. I was planning the GroupN motor mounts and saw UD had the pitch stop too. I also am planning WL rear diff bushings as well. Looks like all those just moved up the priority list.

The logic seems solid- with the soft motor mounts the engine is able to rotate more than the transmission, so it wants to act like a torsional pendulum, causing the clutch to chatter.

I've got everything except for the motor mounts installed.. I still have shudder, so I've been planning to do the mounts when time/budget permits. Then again, I haven't driven the car with the WRX flywheel yet, so that could drastically change things.

Archived